Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally and cause for real excitement

Finally and cause for real excitement

Old Sep 16th 2010, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Dan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really nice
Smile Finally and cause for real excitement

Yipeee!!! (I originally posted this on the wrong forum-appologies)

We can't quite believe it yet (well I can't) but we finally have the all powerfull visa.
We can start sorting things out properly but I think this takes a degree of organisational skill that may be beyond us.

HELP!!

I think the first thing we need to do is get the visa into the passports but at this moment in time even that seems like a challange.

I'm sure all these issues/questions have been takled many times but not being one for trawling through old threads I thought I would start a new one.

What do we do with our passports?
Do we bother shipping our stuff of should we start from scratch?
If we do ship, who do we use?
Has anyone got a step by step list of how to get through this bit?
Who provides the cheapest air fare?

I think you get the idea of our immediate concerns. We would be very grateful if any of you could help us (if only to overcome the initial shock of the situation).

Thanks for reading.
Dan and sharon
Old Sep 18th 2010, 4:03 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally and cause for real excitement

congratulaions on getting the visa

I cant help on most of the questions you ask, because I originally came over on a 457 & was living in Holland at the time.

With regards to what to ship if anything, thats something you need to decide for yourselves. Do you want to keep all your furniture? or is it mostly ready for replacing & can you afford it?

replacing everything means the cost add up extremely quickly.

We shipped absolutely everything, and never regretted it, but others have come over with nothing, and felt the same.

I woudl suggest searching for all your individual questions, most have been asked by others in the last week or so, so there are plenty of good answers out there.

Good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Dan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really nice

Originally Posted by furkew
congratulaions on getting the visa

I cant help on most of the questions you ask, because I originally came over on a 457 & was living in Holland at the time.

With regards to what to ship if anything, thats something you need to decide for yourselves. Do you want to keep all your furniture? or is it mostly ready for replacing & can you afford it?

replacing everything means the cost add up extremely quickly.

We shipped absolutely everything, and never regretted it, but others have come over with nothing, and felt the same.

I woudl suggest searching for all your individual questions, most have been asked by others in the last week or so, so there are plenty of good answers out there.

Good luck.
Thanks for your advice.

We are heading for Victoria mid November but are undecided on where to stop.
Whats it like in Monbulk?

Cheers, Dan
Old Sep 18th 2010, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Ship everything (within reason). Don't lose money giving it away there and then spending loads of $$$$ buying new here. Especially white goods and furniture etc...

Good luck!
Old Sep 18th 2010, 9:13 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan-Sharon
Thanks for your advice.

We are heading for Victoria mid November but are undecided on where to stop.
Whats it like in Monbulk?

Cheers, Dan
Hi Dan.

We have a rental unit, which needs filling in November, so its the best place in Victoria of course

Seriously, as a family we love it. It isn't everybodies cup of tea because of where it is, but I would estimate more than 50% of families that stay in our unit would love to settle here, except for the single fact that its not quite close enough to the CBD/work for many people.

although one family that stayed here loved it so much, they bought a house just down the road.

Its just up in the Dandenong ranges so very hilly, with massive gum trees towering everywhere. Small village atmosphere, and everybody knows everybody (sometimes good, sometimes bad of course) Good size plots, generally 1000-4000m2.

It is generally 5/6 degrees cooler/colder than the city, and we do get far more rain.

Its the flower growing centre of Victoria (thats my trade, cut flowers) and has about 60% Dutch or of Dutch origins. Today was the first day of the Tulip festival, which runs for nearly a month.

http://www.tulipfestival.com.au/

Some very nice places around the Dandenong ranges and just down the road is the Yarra Valley wine growing region as well. Try looking up Belgrave (they have thier own Wizard) Sassafras, Olinda, Cockatoo & emerald.

If you want any info, just drop me a line.

Paul.

Last edited by furkew; Sep 18th 2010 at 9:35 am.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by furkew
Hi Dan.

We have a rental unit, which needs filling in November, so its the best place in Victoria of course

Seriously, as a family we love it. It isn't everybodies cup of tea because of where it is, but I would estimate more than 50% of families that stay in our unit would love to settle here, except for the single fact that its not quite close enough to the CBD/work for many people.

although one family that stayed here loved it so much, they bought a house just down the road.

Its just up in the Dandenong ranges so very hilly, with massive gum trees towering everywhere. Small village atmosphere, and everybody knows everybody (sometimes good, sometimes bad of course) Good size plots, generally 1000-4000m2.

It is generally 5/6 degrees cooler/colder than the city, and we do get far more rain.

Its the flower growing centre of Victoria (thats my trade, cut flowers) and has about 60% Dutch or of Dutch origins. Today was the first day of the Tulip festival, which runs for nearly a month.

http://www.tulipfestival.com.au/

Some very nice places around the Dandenong ranges and just down the road is the Yarra Valley wine growing region as well. Try looking up Belgrave (they have thier own Wizard) Sassafras, Olinda, Cockatoo & emerald.

If you want any info, just drop me a line.

Paul.
Thanks for the info.

I kind of liked the idea of living near the sea (as I'm sure lots of people with an overly romantic view of emigrating share) but my wife is more interested in being in land and she loves the description you gave and has already looked at slide shows of the area.
We'll keep posting.

Best regards,
Dan
Old Sep 18th 2010, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

RachH will become famous soon enoughRachH will become famous soon enough

congrats on your visa!
when you are choosing an airline to fly with, go for the one that allows the most baggage. when you are migrating some will give you double or extra baggage allowance. if you do ship stuff you may be waiting ages for it so taking a far bit of day to day stuff over with you is a great help....
Old Sep 18th 2010, 11:32 am
Going for a ride

With regards to booking flights, its best not to leave it too late. They get dearer the later you leave it in general, and flight times/stopovers can get a bit longwinded if you leave it too late.

As a family we have flown Qantas (OK) BA (OK) Singapore (Excellent) Malaysia (Excellent)

Personally from experience I would look at the asian carriers as a preference every time, but obviously always taking price into consideration.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I agree. Ship everything (within reason). Don't lose money giving it away there and then spending loads of $$$$ buying new here. Especially white goods and furniture etc...

Good luck!
It seems to be the general view point on this site that you should ship every thing you possibly can.

I am one of the few people who disagree with this but my personal circumstances are probably different to many others.

I have all my wife's family in Australia and over the last year or so they have been dealing hard to build us up some house hold goods and furniture from a variety of places all good quality and I think they know our tastes well by now.

All we have shipped is a few boxes for small items like books and other small things of some personal significance. Everything else is already waiting for us in a lock up over there.

We are currently selling off our furniture here.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
It seems to be the general view point on this site that you should ship every thing you possibly can.

I am one of the few people who disagree with this but my personal circumstances are probably different to many others.

I have all my wife's family in Australia and over the last year or so they have been dealing hard to build us up some house hold goods and furniture from a variety of places all good quality and I think they know our tastes well by now.

All we have shipped is a few boxes for small items like books and other small things of some personal significance. Everything else is already waiting for us in a lock up over there.

We are currently selling off our furniture here.
That's ideal then to have goods already waiting. I also like the idea of going shopping for new stuff. I have to restrain myself because I know items x, y & z will be arriving soon.

What I didn't ship is my BBQ. Guess what I'm going to do today?