Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What the airlines offer families

Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:35 am
Barbie chef extrordinaire

PhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the rough
Default What the airlines offer families

Whilst having a bored moment i found this info, i thought it would be of interest to us all.

Gulf Air: In-flight sky nanny - identifiable by a bright blue pinny with her name embroidered on it - will offer advice and assistance throughout the flight (and may help you to/from the departure and arrival gates). Children's meals (must be requested, as with all airlines). Activity packs and children's video and audio channels.
0870 7771717, gulfairco.com.

Qantas: Children's meals; boarding before other passengers; buggies to departure gate; crew will heat and wash bottles; activity packs, Wiggles for 3-6 year olds and Dog's Life for 7-11s.
08457 747767, qantas.co.uk.

British Airways: Children's meals; early check-in at Gatwick from 6pm the day before departure; Skyflyers activity packs, with backpacks for 3-5 year olds and shoulder packs for 6-12s. A flight log book allows children to record their travels and get a signature from the captain to certify their journey.
0870 8509850, ba.com

Virgin: Vtots in-flight channel for pre-schoolers, VKiD for 5-11s and VT for teens. Up to 35 Nintendo games with parental block facility. Child menu. Infant care chair for 6-36 month olds (but you'll need to pay for a seat for these).
0870 3802007, virgin-atlantic.com

Cathay Pacific: Families with under-twos can pre-book seats. Pre-boarding for families. Buggies returned on arrival at the plane door. Children's meals. Kids' activity packs, channels and interactive games.
020-8834 8888, cathaypacific.com

Continental: Kids' channels and interactive games. Kids' meals. No activity packs.
0845 6076760, continental.com

If anyone has any other info please add it to the list.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:44 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What the airlines offer families

Originally Posted by PhillN01
Whilst having a bored moment i found this info, i thought it would be of interest to us all.

Gulf Air: In-flight sky nanny - identifiable by a bright blue pinny with her name embroidered on it - will offer advice and assistance throughout the flight (and may help you to/from the departure and arrival gates). Children's meals (must be requested, as with all airlines). Activity packs and children's video and audio channels.

Qantas: Children's meals; boarding before other passengers; buggies to departure gate; crew will heat and wash bottles; activity packs, Wiggles for 3-6 year olds and Dog's Life for 7-11s.

British Airways: Children's meals; early check-in at Gatwick from 6pm the day before departure; Skyflyers activity packs, with backpacks for 3-5 year olds and shoulder packs for 6-12s. A flight log book allows children to record their travels and get a signature from the captain to certify their journey.
0870 8509850, ba.com

Virgin: Vtots in-flight channel for pre-schoolers, VKiD for 5-11s and VT for teens. Up to 35 Nintendo games with parental block facility. Child menu. Infant care chair for 6-36 month olds (but you'll need to pay for a seat for these).

Cathay Pacific: Families with under-twos can pre-book seats. Pre-boarding for families. Buggies returned on arrival at the plane door. Children's meals. Kids' activity packs, channels and interactive games.

Continental: Kids' channels and interactive games. Kids' meals. No activity packs.
Adult airlines:
Kids get strapped to the wing or if you are a softy parent they offer the new kidstoned chewable valium (see below)

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/kidstoned.html
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

0870 8509850, ba.com

thanks for that phill,it is very handy to know.btw i presume you have kids,how can you be bored.my two have just told me a list of what they want to do today.still cant complain.x irishbloo
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Adult airlines:
Kids get strapped to the wing or if you are a softy parent they offer the new kidstoned chewable valium (see below)

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/kidstoned.html
ME WANT SOME
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:50 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
ME WANT SOME
sorry its for kids only unless you have a kid with add then you can always get retalin, crush it and snort it. My doc told me people do that and its known as the "poor mans coke"
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
sorry its for kids only unless you have a kid with add then you can always get retalin, crush it and snort it. My doc told me people do that and its known as the "poor mans coke"
MUM OF SIX REMEMBER, I WANT THEM FOR THE KIDS.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Don't suppose anyone knows what goodies we can expect from Singaopre Airlines? Will have 20 month old & 3 year old to occupy :scared:
Old Dec 11th 2005, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

STUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by woogle
Don't suppose anyone knows what goodies we can expect from Singaopre Airlines? Will have 20 month old & 3 year old to occupy :scared:
Snap, i was going to ask that question, we are flying out on new years eve with 3 kids
Donna xx
Old Dec 18th 2005, 2:18 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woogle
I travelled with my six year old son last year, with Singapore Airllines. They treated him like a prince. They were constantly asking him if he wanted anything to eat or drink, paid him a lot of attention and made him feel good when he was exausted, and he received gifts on each leg of the journey as there were new staff on each leg, ie uk to singapore, singapore to oz and vise versa. He received cards, sweets, a bear, and i cant remember what else as the flight felt like part of the experiece instead of a nightmare. He has his own screen on the back of the seat. I ensured that i had two seats reserved at the back of the plane close to the loos, that way, i didnt have to get up every time he wanted to go to the loo and he got his meals first before everyone else.

Make sure you have hard lollies for the kids for each take off otherwise they may freak out at the ears popping. In particular for small children. When i took my son when he was four months old in 1998 I made sure I had a bottle for the take off as obviously sweets were suitable and he was fine, no crying or anything.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by killamarsh
I travelled with my six year old son last year, with Singapore Airllines. They treated him like a prince. They were constantly asking him if he wanted anything to eat or drink, paid him a lot of attention and made him feel good when he was exausted, and he received gifts on each leg of the journey as there were new staff on each leg, ie uk to singapore, singapore to oz and vise versa. He received cards, sweets, a bear, and i cant remember what else as the flight felt like part of the experiece instead of a nightmare. He has his own screen on the back of the seat. I ensured that i had two seats reserved at the back of the plane close to the loos, that way, i didnt have to get up every time he wanted to go to the loo and he got his meals first before everyone else.

Make sure you have hard lollies for the kids for each take off otherwise they may freak out at the ears popping. In particular for small children. When i took my son when he was four months old in 1998 I made sure I had a bottle for the take off as obviously sweets were suitable and he was fine, no crying or anything.
EMIRATES DON'T DO SICK KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Little one spent most of her time being sick from Dubai to Brisbane.The lovely crew on board found difficulty in even getting us sick bags (yeah we went through hundreds of them)We seemed to be invisible.Not very impressed with them!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2005, 6:27 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

0870 8509850, ba.com
yeh right....

Just to add my bit...

Quantas/BA = fed the whole cabin..I mean WHOLE cabin before my crying 2 year old.....then they didn't have a meal for him. When asked if they could heat up some milk for his cereal the air stewardess said 'how old is he'? i said 2...she then said 'I think a 2 year old should be off warm milk by now shouldn't he'? No activity packs...or any of the above really. Was terrible service!

Flew with them twice long haul with my little one...appalling both times - NEVER AGAIN!!

Singapore and Japan airlines are amazing with kiddies!