Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Filosofical post from Aus

Filosofical post from Aus

Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:25 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Filosofical post from Aus

Life is full of decisions isn't it ?

No more so than on the visa trail.
We labour for hours wondering if we are doing or did the right thing.

Shall we / shan't we?
Could we / should we ?
Did we / didn't we ?

.....but is there in fact such a thing as a bad decision ?

I believe things happen for a reason, so if life is shite today it's meant to be cos tomorrow will be better.

Should we spend time regretting ?

Maybe a shite time you encountered would have happened anyway but the fact you made a decision was a positive effect and without, things would have been even worse.

How often do we hear "life is too short" and think "yeah, that's true", but how often do we remember that in our daily lives ?

The lion says accept today for what it is and look forward to tomorrow.
Stay positive peeps
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:30 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Filosofical post from Aus

Hallelujah brother!!!!!! Hallelujah!!

Last edited by Hels; Jan 20th 2005 at 10:36 am.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Good decisions ( and bad for that matter ) are always best made with hindsight...

Sit tight for the time being and enjoy looking back...then plan for the future...

One day at a time...too easy....
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:38 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Filosofical post from Aus

Originally Posted by Bix

Shall we / shan't we?
Could we / should we ?
Did we / didn't we ?

I believe things happen for a reason, so if life is shite today it's meant to be cos tomorrow will be better.

Maybe a shite time you encountered would have happened anyway but the fact you made a decision was a positive effect and without, things would have been even worse.

How often do we hear "life is too short" and think "yeah, that's true", but how often do we remember that in our daily lives ?

Stay positive peeps
Totally. Live by your decisions and have no regrets. Take the good from your past forward and make the future better. My wife and I spent the best part of 5 years deciding whether we wanted to move or not, when all along we did. We kept talking but doing nothing. Then we made the decision to "go for it" and it is the most exciting, scary surreal time of my life. I love it. Totally be positive and no regrets.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

True indeed! Actually; some people actually tell us off when considering the move to Oz - being all negative and stuff. BUT when you pose the question back; isn't life too short and wouldn't it actually be sad to look back later in life and think "what was I thinking of? I was stupid letting this chance by ..." .. and most actually agree. "Oh well .. you are right, BUT .. we won't see you as often and what about the kids?"

Our usual response is then "well. To be frank; how often do we see each other today? Like once of twice a year anyways. It will probably not change alot when moving down under anyway ... now, would it?" "Doh! No Perhaps not!".

.. and when it comes to kids. They are far better at adapting to their new lives than us grown ups (??!). We spent some in Scotland and out little 2.5 year old girl adapted just fine. Picked up some english words within the first few days .. and were soon shouting "Byyyyyee!", "Dad!", "Mooo-ooom!" ... pretty cool!

So to summarise: i totally agree with your points!

Cheerio ..

/Jørgen
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:47 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of self-doubt's normal though, isn't it? Helps you work through the decision and affirm whether it's the right one for you at whatever point in your life.

At least that's what I'm telling myself now I've got to the waking up at 3 am in a cold sweat thinking 'XX number of days to go' stage.

GG

Originally Posted by Bix

Shall we / shan't we?
Could we / should we ?
Did we / didn't we ?

Stay positive peeps
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:55 am
Banned

E=mc2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Life is what happens when we are busy making plans.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

"Never regret anything you have done. Its too late then. If you are going to regret it, you shouldn't have done it in the first place. Once its done, all you should do is learn from it, as regret is a waste of energy."

(credit for that to my dear friend Neil who died while at college, having lived his life to the full. I still remember him saying it, 20 years on, and do my best to live by it.)
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Personally I balk at all these bland cliches - life is too short (is it?), have no regrets, all you need is a positive mental attitude, things happen for a reason, if you don't try you'll always wonder ......

I never had a regret in my life until I went to Oz. I wish I'd listened to my doubts a bit more - I certainly didn't feel I had to go cos life was too short not to. But I don't let my regret eat me up, just pleased I made the decision to come home to UK.

Just another perspective.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella
Personally I balk at all these bland cliches - life is too short (is it?), have no regrets, all you need is a positive mental attitude, things happen for a reason, if you don't try you'll always wonder ......

I never had a regret in my life until I went to Oz. I wish I'd listened to my doubts a bit more - I certainly didn't feel I had to go cos life was too short not to. But I don't let my regret eat me up, just pleased I made the decision to come home to UK.

Just another perspective.
As you say, just another perspective, and it an equally valid philosophy. I think everyone has their reasons for following their particular "mantras" - in my case, I am married to an Aussie who will not live in the UK. I am still finding my feet here, and so I have to remind myself at times not to regret moving - I knew what I was doing and its pointless regretting it cos its done now!

I remember exchanging a couple of pms a=2 years back, Bella - did you go back to sunny Brighton, or elsewhere?
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

I’m sure we all have doubts from time to time, and not just about a move to oz, but if we listen too much to the doubting side of us then we will never get anything other than the normal day to day things done. Which for some people is okay, but don’t we have to make the most of everything available to us?

Live it, try it, if you don’t like it, change it.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

"You'll never discover new oceans if you don't have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

It was off one of those corporate motivational posters....usually too cliched for my liking, but this was the one that always stuck in my mind. I guess it's hard to let go of the safety net/comfort blanket sometimes, but until we do, we ain't going nowwhere!!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:20 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
"You'll never discover new oceans if you don't have the courage to lose sight of the shore."
we have this one at work, ive been staring at it during meetings for the last 6 months with a secret smile on my face !

touch !!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:22 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
we have this one at work, ive been staring at it during meetings for the last 6 months with a secret smile on my face !

touch !!
15 days to go huh stephen - bet you're sh*tting yourself!

I've got about 8 weeks to go and it only dawned on me last night how many things we've got to get ready for the move!!!!

Rob
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:33 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

We are going to try and live our dream... but first step is getting back home again to Oz..... 12 weeks and counting til take off!!!

If we didn't do this, we'd be bored silly with our predictable lives here in the UK.... sometimes a leap into the unknown is well worth it :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.