Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Filing for UK bankruptcy from Australia

Filing for UK bankruptcy from Australia

Old Oct 29th 2006, 10:18 am
Just Joined

dan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud of
Default Filing for UK bankruptcy from Australia

Hello,
I've been reading the forums regarding bankruptcy in the UK; there are lots of questions about people thinking about doing it - unfortunately, I now need to do it. Does anyone here have any experience in doing this? Where do I start? Do I need to use a lawyer in the UK, how much etc etc.

(No judgments or flaming please - I have been servicing this debt since leaving the UK over 3 years ago and intended to carry on doing so, however due to a change in circumstances, simply can no longer afford to pay it)

Thanks
Dan
Old Oct 29th 2006, 10:39 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing for UK bankruptcy from Australia

No intention on flaming you for that one. Just a thought for you. If you simply didnt service the debt have you thought about what the consequences might be. I have no idea what your personal situation is but for most people it would pretty much mean nothing can be done to you.

In a worst case scenario you could be made bankrupt by your creditor at no cost to you by default. The irony is that you could apply to have that set aside since unfortunately you cannot apply for bankruptcy unless you are domiciled in the UK and personally present on the day the petition is presented AND have been resident for any period of time in the UK in the last 3 years before the petition is presented.

Since you have not been resident in the UK for the last 3 years and are not domiciled there you couldnt apply anyhow.

You might wish to consider the options and seek some advice. Allowing the debt to progress and not pay it may be a better choice. Alternatively you may wish to explore other options such as an IVA.

Whatever you decide best of luck.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan7
Hello,
I've been reading the forums regarding bankruptcy in the UK; there are lots of questions about people thinking about doing it - unfortunately, I now need to do it. Does anyone here have any experience in doing this? Where do I start? Do I need to use a lawyer in the UK, how much etc etc.

(No judgments or flaming please - I have been servicing this debt since leaving the UK over 3 years ago and intended to carry on doing so, however due to a change in circumstances, simply can no longer afford to pay it)

Thanks
Dan
Hi Dan

Get in touch with www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/, they'll give you a way to not go into for bankruptcy and they don't charge for their service!!!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Hi Dan

Get in touch with www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/, they'll give you a way to not go into for bankruptcy and they don't charge for their service!!!
AB nationaldebtline cant help. Unfortunately Centurions post is correct. You can contact the CCCS (consumer credit counselling service) who do work with people internationally to put income and expenditures in place and can set up accounts to help the movement of monies. This is a free company and have a lot of online systems with many companies which speeds things up.

There are limitations with IVA's too as you arent in the UK, so I wouldnt hold your breath. The result of a failing IVA is Bankruptcy, but as previously mentioned you cant go through bankruptcy due to your situation.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I've been reading the forums regarding bankruptcy in the UK; there are lots of questions about people thinking about doing it - unfortunately,

Dan

Unfortunate indeed

Does the DIMA read these threads
Old Oct 30th 2006, 8:46 am
Just Joined

dan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud ofdan7 has much to be proud of

Thanks all for your input. Thank you Centurion, you answered a question that's been niggling me for a while. I've decided to contact the creditor, if there's no joy, I'll speak to a lawyer over there and see what can be done.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice

i know it is an old post but i just wanted to add the forums at www.fool.co.uk are fantastic for advice.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud of

why should it interest DIMIA?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:12 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks
Dan
Hope things worked out for you Dan
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

ian27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Dan, what happened with your problem?
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is from October 2006, and the original poster hasn't been online since then, so I am closing the thread as I see no point in it being resurrected now.
If anyone is looking for info on UK bankruptcy I suggest they start a new thread.