Fifo Wa

Old May 8th 2007, 10:26 am
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of
Default Fifo Wa

Hi. Can anyone share their experiences of FIFO work in the mines in WA (or elsewhere) please? Things like:
  • Working Hours
  • Accommodation (and any associated costs)
  • Food/canteens (and any associated costs)
  • Work patterns - typical x days on, y days off

Thanks
Karl
Old May 8th 2007, 10:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fifo Wa

Originally Posted by Karl & Ann
Hi. Can anyone share their experiences of FIFO work in the mines in WA (or elsewhere) please? Things like:
  • Working Hours
  • Accommodation (and any associated costs)
  • Food/canteens (and any associated costs)
  • Work patterns - typical x days on, y days off
Thanks
Karl
MPD JV (BHPBilliton iron-ore upgrade in the Pilbara) have the following setup for their FIFO people:
15% loading on their Perth salary.
Either a 11 on 3 off or 23 on 5 off rotation.
$1000 bonus per rotation (on top of their 15%) if they choose the 23/5 option.
10 hour day.
Plus all flights, accomodation etc of course.
Apparently food, accomodation facilities are superb. All Dongas (cabins) are en-suite and have TVs/DVDs. Broadband internet, gym facilities and swimming pool are all provided.

At FMG we are expecting it to be similar although I think with probably a 20% loading.
Old May 8th 2007, 11:13 am
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
MPD JV (BHPBilliton iron-ore upgrade in the Pilbara) have the following setup for their FIFO people:
10 hour day.
Apparently food, accomodation facilities are superb. All Dongas (cabins) are en-suite and have TVs/DVDs. Broadband internet, gym facilities and swimming pool are all provided.

At FMG we are expecting it to be similar although I think with probably a 20% loading.
Thanks for that.

Just been reading some articles on "FIFO fatigue" and that 9-5 (or even 8-6) rosters seem to be popular as they can provide every other weekend at home. 11-3 could presumably give this, but I guess flights wouldn't leave much change from the 3.

23-5 sounds sweet. I guess that 1,000 dollars helps buy some counselling

Then again - 3 weeks on my own with a few good books and a guitar... Some might consider that Paradise!

Cheers
Karl
Old May 8th 2007, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
10 hour day.

Thats really good information, thanks Amazulu.
We are trying to get my OH a job up North but don't seem to be having much luck. No one seems to be in a hurry to get back to you. Any helpful hints?
Lynne
T
Old May 8th 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura about

I went over to Perth for interviews with OEM dealers about a month ago now, various FIFO roster available depending on what your level will be (days); 14/7, 9/5, 5/2 (these tend to be closer sites around 2hrs drive away from Perth), you will probably find various other rosters as well.

I visited Ravensthorpe which is a greenfields BHP Billiton site and looks from the out set very professional, accommodation, Canteen and facilities where all excellent.

i maybe yet moving over to Perth (from Brisbane), had an offer to work at Boddington, again another greenfield site that I'm told offers very similar amenities to Ravensthorpe.

Rotors here are far better than I have previously worked (11/2, thats weeks) and the money based on expats salary isn't too far off either, there that desperate you maybe able to negotiate rosters also if this was a concern.
Old May 8th 2007, 11:54 am
Pasta Fari

Originally Posted by Lisa and Lance
Rotors here are far better than I have previously worked (11/2, thats weeks) and the money based on expats salary isn't too far off either, there that desperate you maybe able to negotiate rosters also if this was a concern.
Thanks. 11 weeks on 2 weeks off. That sounds good.

Karl
Old May 8th 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Any idea of the types of job available ?

Old May 8th 2007, 12:36 pm
Pasta Fari

Originally Posted by olauf
Any idea of the types of job available ?

Mining!
Geological/geophysical
Civil engineering (for the infrastructure)
Chefs etc (support services)

Also oil and gas off WA coast etc.

Just Google "FIFO, WA, mining". Should show you plenty. If you're lucky , you'll find "outofthepit" like I did (Christian miners' website!!)

Karl
Old May 8th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Mining!
Geological/geophysical
Civil engineering (for the infrastructure)
Chefs etc (support services)

Also oil and gas off WA coast etc.

Just Google "FIFO, WA, mining". Should show you plenty. If you're lucky , you'll find "outofthepit" like I did (Christian miners' website!!)

Karl

Thanks Karl
any thoughts about jobs for womens

Old May 8th 2007, 12:52 pm
Pasta Fari

Thanks Karl

I mentioned the "outofthepit" site in jest, but the forum on there contained quite a few stories from female mining engineers/geos.

I've read a thread somewhere in here which mentioned female truckies in the mines. Sought after as they are perceived not to want to abuse the monster trucks - unlike your average hoon male.

Alternatively, there's always cooking, laundry and prostitution

Karl
Old May 8th 2007, 1:18 pm
Pasta Fari

Thanks Karl

Just found this article:

More women entering mining workforce

The resources boom has led to a more women enter the mining workforce across Australia.

More than 3,500 women have started work on mine sites over the past three years and now make up 18 per cent of the workforce.

And Mitch Hooke from the Minerals Council says the trend will have to continue to make up for a severe shortage of workers.

"They are attracted by pay, yes they are attracted by the opportunity but they've started to see that the macho image of the mining industry is not quite as stringent as it was," he said.

"Don't forget women make the best truck drivers.

"I mean we've got a couple of mine managers that are women, we've got an Indigenous female mining engineer.

"People are going to say 'big deal' well it's actually a big deal, it's a shift in attitudes, it's a shift in the industry's understanding of what it has to do to change to attract the brightest of the best."
Old May 8th 2007, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mick69
Thats really good information, thanks Amazulu.
We are trying to get my OH a job up North but don't seem to be having much luck. No one seems to be in a hurry to get back to you. Any helpful hints?
Lynne
T
Know the feeling. The way they carry on you'd think you were being employed at Fort Knox I have some high level contacts and even then it's still like pushing sh$t up hill with a sharp stick
Old May 8th 2007, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

Just found this article:

More women entering mining workforce

The resources boom has led to a more women enter the mining workforce across Australia.

More than 3,500 women have started work on mine sites over the past three years and now make up 18 per cent of the workforce.

And Mitch Hooke from the Minerals Council says the trend will have to continue to make up for a severe shortage of workers.

"They are attracted by pay, yes they are attracted by the opportunity but they've started to see that the macho image of the mining industry is not quite as stringent as it was," he said.

"Don't forget women make the best truck drivers.

"I mean we've got a couple of mine managers that are women, we've got an Indigenous female mining engineer.

"People are going to say 'big deal' well it's actually a big deal, it's a shift in attitudes, it's a shift in the industry's understanding of what it has to do to change to attract the brightest of the best."
Like everything surrounding the mines a lot is pure hype. When it comes to the crunch you need the tickets and experience to get your foot in the door.
Old May 8th 2007, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nzer57
Like everything surrounding the mines a lot is pure hype. When it comes to the crunch you need the tickets and experience to get your foot in the door.
Silly question but why is it so hard to get in. OH has experience and tickets etc but still - no such luck
Old May 8th 2007, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mick69
Silly question but why is it so hard to get in. OH has experience and tickets etc but still - no such luck
What does he do and what's his experience?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.