Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

fifo dido tradies

fifo dido tradies

Old Jan 28th 2014, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fifo dido tradies

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Think it's the white card you want

Oh that's excellent! Thanks for your quick response, I'll phone OH up now and let him know!

Cheers!
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:06 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Oh that's excellent! Thanks for your quick response, I'll phone OH up now and let him know!

Cheers!
There seem to be a lot of companies offering white card on the net - have heard before that some just send you a plain card and not everywhere accepts that - they want a card that has your photo on it
Old Jan 29th 2014, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

There seem to be a lot of companies offering white card on the net - have heard before that some just send you a plain card and not everywhere accepts that - they want a card that has your photo on it
Thanks.

Can you send off for them while you are still in England? Or do you have to have an Aussie address?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:59 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Can you send off for them while you are still in England? Or do you have to have an Aussie address?
I think you can do it from the UK but you'll have to check the different companies
Old Jan 30th 2014, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think you can do it from the UK but you'll have to check the different companies

Yep! Will do, thanks again.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 8:06 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep! Will do, thanks again.
Do be aware that the card colour may change as soon as you've done the course. Each time it changes we're told 'this will be the card to end all cards' yet down the track a bit the colour changes again.
I did my white card in Dec of 2003 in Feb or March 2004 it changed to a blue card. A few years down the track it changed back to a white one. The course didn't change, it's very basic workplace health & safety, don't put your fingers in the power points & don't drink the chemicals kind of stuff.
What changes is the lack of people going through the doors at the training agencies, hence the need to get everyone back in again. So many people here make a living by leaching off the back of someone else's skills.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cresta57
Do be aware that the card colour may change as soon as you've done the course. Each time it changes we're told 'this will be the card to end all cards' yet down the track a bit the colour changes again.
I did my white card in Dec of 2003 in Feb or March 2004 it changed to a blue card. A few years down the track it changed back to a white one. The course didn't change, it's very basic workplace health & safety, don't put your fingers in the power points & don't drink the chemicals kind of stuff.
What changes is the lack of people going through the doors at the training agencies, hence the need to get everyone back in again. So many people here make a living by leaching off the back of someone else's skills.
Thanks for that, I'll be sure to let the husband know.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:49 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to let the husband know.
Sorry that sounded a little bitter. I just got my licence renewal this morning. $300 bucks for a plastic card and the whole dept. is a toothless tiger that does nothing to stop the cowboys or the general rogues.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cresta57
Sorry that sounded a little bitter.(

No not at all! It's the same carry on here, people just out to rip you off! It's frustratingly annoying to say the least!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 8:32 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Its a brilliant idea.

Anyone trying to get on Gorgon will know the red tape with applying is never ending, you need a contact supervisor to send your CV to directly. same in most big projects.

Last edited by paulf; Feb 12th 2014 at 8:37 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulf
Its a brilliant idea.

Anyone trying to get on Gorgon will know the red tape with applying is never ending, you need a contact supervisor to send your CV to directly. same in most big projects.

Do you mean Gorgon as in the gas fields? I've just googled it.

Whats your trade Paul?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light

Hi pome

I searched concrete and it brought me to your thread. :-) so I thought I would join the forum to ask you a few questions. If that's OK?

We are hoping to move to in and around the Brisbane area by mid August of this year. We, that being me, my husband and our two sons. I'm late 30's, husbands early 40s, sons- teens.

My husband is currently working on the new London Underground, he is a robot operator, and originally he was going to try and get a job in the mines, doing similar work. We have since dismissed the idea somewhat, reason being we believe that jobs in the mines aren't as frequent as they once were? And also I've had a bit of a reality check lately. Being alone with two teenage sons in a new country, that being the reality!

Sooo, my questions for you are, 1. do you know if there are plenty of jobs out of the mines in Australia for robot operators? He is very skilled (15 years experience, might be more actually) he has all the relevant tickets for operating the different type of machinery etc...

2. will he have to get his tickets transferred into the Australian equivalent? Or are they just the same? He might already know this, (I haven't asked him, as he's not here at the moment) anyway, I thought I'd ask just incase.

We are aware that there is a new train and bus tunnel to be built in Brisbane in 2015 if this is true then the job would be perfect for him, as it's the same kind of work he is doing now on the London Underground. The trouble is, it doesn't start until 2015 and we are arriving in August of this year,( we have to because there isn't much time left on our visas)

Anyway, I saw this thread and thought it has to be worth a shot at trying to gain contacts/information for the husband.

Great thread idea by the way.
hello molly and the rest of you buggers ,
well..................just got back and im knackered......great that you've all embraced the idea of networking however it seems there are more questions than answers so if there are any brickies and plumbers who are in oz that can lend a hand with work coming up please feel free to post ..... cheers lads.
molly.... hello love ,so hub does some tunneling .i worked on the clem 7 tunnel here in bris and the airport link. if by robot you mean tunnel boring machine (tbm) this is specialized and only used in tunnels if he can drive a road header he should be right for coal ect . bare in mind a lot of coal is surface equally iron ore . tickets .... white safety card is nationally recognized $80 and half an hour on line...blue dog training are good. qualifications are handy but trust me you just know when another man has worked underground .i find that dog-man or banks-man tickets with working at height ,cherry picker ,bobcat,excavator ,machinery tickets all help with the application .so when you're not doing one job you can do another.
Try thiess and john holland for civil structure work, workpac are there labour hire providers. leightons construction ect. .... advice, adapt overcome improvise diversify.........
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ayup ladies and Gents, I've been in Oz for 6 years, FIFO to Karratha and surrounds for Rio for the last 2 of those. I'm in the rail game, so if there's anyone need any pointers let me know. Also if there's anyone to give me some pointers they'd be gratefully received.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulf
Its a brilliant idea.

hello Paul
yeah i applied for that job .... man what an application plus all the chevron stuff...lol you didn't have to be a brain surgeon....... but it helped lol... great to have a plumber on-board
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

iya steve
welcome , any news on the roy hill job? rail, excavation construction ect i know its only just kicking off but wanted to keep my finger on the pulse and as your on that side.... well. im working in Darwin on the icthyis gas project.
Darwins hot but a great little city!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.