Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fierce creatures-Myth or what?

Fierce creatures-Myth or what?

Old Jan 24th 2004, 2:30 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fierce creatures-Myth or what?

Hi all
There have been a number of posts about various nasties like snakes,spiders,Crocs,jellyfish etc.etc.etc.:scared:

What is the reality?
There are very few Shark attacks.Ditto crocs.People rarely die fom snake or spider bites according to statistics.
My question is :how realistic are fears about these creatures?
What are your experiences?

The worst we have had on various trips have been Mosquitoes Nasty but can happen any where.

Another was an attack on my wife by a Magpie which seem to be very vicious at times.They don't like hats apparently

Box jellyfish really bother me because they are sneaky.You don't see them until it is too late and they can cause serious injury especially as they like to come inshore at the same time everyone wants to go swimming!

What are other's experiences?

G
Old Jan 24th 2004, 2:43 pm
Dumb Blonde

I want out is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fierce creatures-Myth or what?

Originally posted by Grayling
Hi all
There have been a number of posts about various nasties like snakes,spiders,Crocs,jellyfish etc.etc.etc.:scared:

What is the reality?
There are very few Shark attacks.Ditto crocs.People rarely die fom snake or spider bites according to statistics.

The worst we have had on various trips have been Mosquitoes Nasty but can happen any where.

Another was an attack on my wife by a Magpie which seem to be very vicious at times.They don't like hats apparently

Box jellyfish really bother me because they are sneaky.You don't see them until it is too late and they can cause serious injury especially as they like to come inshore at the same time everyone wants to go swimming!

G
I've just been reading "Down Under" by Bill Bryson an informative and hilarious book I might add, anyway a quote from the man himself which I thought may suit.
"It's the driest, flattest, hottest most infertile and climatically aggresive of all the inhabited continents and still Australia teems with life-a large portion of it quite deadly. In fact, Australia has more things that can kill you in a very nasty way than anywhere else"

We are all mad me thinks

Last edited by I want out; Jan 24th 2004 at 2:45 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 2:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

....?
"Down Under" by Bill Bryson
Fantastic and very funny book!!!

OK, Have visited Oz 6 times before, and have now been living here 3 months.......
Only sharks seen in Underwater World place on the Sunshine Coast (in tanks)
Couple of small jellyfish, easily visible, in a pool on Budgee Beach (north of Brissie)
Snakes - Lots of live ones in Australia Zoo, one dead one by the roadside in Tassie.
Crocs again only in Aus Zoo (bring your babies here now!!!!)
Spiders - LARGE huntsman walking across floor towards me - scary just cos I was lying on the floor at the time! One on the base of the bunk above me in a hostel in Tas, one Orb Spider that builds and rebuilds his web outside the front door.

Ants - f****ing plague of them on the bedroom floor last night, quick squirt of surface spray, followed by a broom!
Cockroaches - I hate the pigging things, they fly, but you can sqaush them - seen about 15, but they are harmless.

Keep it in perspective, learn what to look out for in your area, and don't do things like sticking your hand in a pile of logs, or walking in long grass in shorts and thongs. At a rough guess, I'd say more people get hit crossing the road....?
Old Jan 24th 2004, 5:09 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

under water seen sea snakes - although venom is leathal, they do not go out of their way to attack, plus the mouth does not open very far, thus there are v few places they could actually bite.

seen white tip reef sharks, no probs even found my self getting closer to get a good pic (shame about the damn scatter) - I actually like the reef sharks, they move so elegantly. Also seen wobbegong shark - just don't step on it as it has sharp teeth behind its frilly mouth.

missed the (harmless) huntsman and carpet snake at my friends house, seen 2 snakes on the road (1 dead 1 alive). Some glee was taken from running over cane toads!!

Still don't like roaches, and will like them even less when I see a flying one.

Knowing what can harm and what can not, reduces what fear I have. :scared:
Old Jan 24th 2004, 8:52 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grayling
Hi all

What is the reality?

G
Box jelly fish are the only significant threat and they are only in areas few of us are going to be unless on holiday.

Some MOzzies carry Ross River fever. Someone from Perth might be able to update us on the battle up there.

Otherwise living in Bondi the worst snake I will come across is in the lineup. I have been out when the shark alarm has gone off but the fin could have easily been a Dolphin.

The real danger here is the rips and the local driving. Swim between the flags and you will be fine. Nothing can be done about the hoons.

Some of the others living next to the bush have more intimate relations with the wildlife.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 7:43 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Australia's Venomous Snakes: The Modern Myth or Are You A Man Or A Mouse?
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by I want out
I've just been reading "Down Under" by Bill Bryson an informative and hilarious book I might add, anyway a quote from the man himself which I thought may suit.
"It's the driest, flattest, hottest most infertile and climatically aggresive of all the inhabited continents and still Australia teems with life-a large portion of it quite deadly. In fact, Australia has more things that can kill you in a very nasty way than anywhere else"

We are all mad me thinks
One of my favourite quotes from Bill Bryson comes after his encounter with a Bluebottle:

" 'a bluebottle,'she explained and pointed to a small jellyfish of the type(as I later learned from browsing through a fat book titled,if I recall, Things that will kill you horribly in Australia:volume 19) known elsewhere as a portugese man-of-war.

I sqinted at it as it drifted past.It looked unprepossessing,like a blue condom with strings attatched."

G