Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fibrous plasterer looking for work in Australia

Fibrous plasterer looking for work in Australia

Old Feb 15th 2012, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

british jointer is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Fibrous plasterer looking for work in Australia

I am a tape and jointer/ fibrous plasterer, and am flying out in march on a working holiday visa and would like to know where the construction work is booming at the moment in Australia? And would be very grateful if anyone had any contacts for my line of work.

Thanks
Old Feb 15th 2012, 7:48 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fibrous plasterer looking for work in Australia

Building generally is pretty slow but maybe some of the mining areas as they seem to be the only ones with decent amounts of work.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Midwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really niceMidwife99 is just really nice

When you find out can you let us know, My husband is a dryliner in Yateley and we are looking for work in Melbourne area.

Cheers
Old Feb 16th 2012, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

british jointer is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, a friend has told me darwin is pretty busy at the moment. but any more infomation would be great????
Old Feb 16th 2012, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

There is work in Brisbane. Drop me a line on a private message. Just got to have the contacts, I think you called me last year.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Renovation market is booming.... I'm was/am having a real hard time getting tradesmen.

Had an interesting talk with our plasterers yesterday. A hell of a lot of tradesmen in this part of the Country are Italian family businesses. The ones I used "Plastacall" have just sponsored their first UK Plasterer. One thing they've been amused about and had to undo in him is when they put plaster board up they only stop/skim the join. Whereas the UK fellow wanted to do the whole wall.

I asked them why he did that, and they didn't know.... Still waiting to get a informed answer out of him. Apparently it came down to "The way he was taught"

So does anyone know why UK plasterers skim a whole wall instead of just the indented join.... After all the plasterboard is flat already ?

Dont get me wrong these Italians can wet plaster... They went over with 3 coats, one remaining older cracked wall for me yesterday... very quickly as well. did it in a morning and put up 3 rooms of Cornice.... 3 meter plus ceilings in my place as well.

So whats the answer ?

Just to repeat to the OP.... the Renovation market is definitely still booming here in Melbourne.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 16th 2012 at 8:26 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:27 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

A skimmed wall is such a nice finish compared to the bare plasterboard, I'm not sure why they don't do it here though.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
A skimmed wall is such a nice finish compared to the bare plasterboard, I'm not sure why they don't do it here though.
I'd love to see if you can tell the difference at my place.... Because I cant.

I've got a mixture of both. In fact I've got 3types of wall.... Plasterboard (13ml)... one Skimmed over that horsehair stuff.... and 2 walls of Laden... All finished in the same Antique white and all look the same to me.... maybe it's my painter ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 16th 2012 at 8:33 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'd love to see if you can tell the difference at my place.... Because I cant.

I've got a mixture of both. In fact I've got 3types of wall.... Plasterboard (13ml)... one Skimmed over that horsehair stuff.... and 2 walls of Laden... All finished in the same Antique white and all look the same to me.... maybe it's my painter ?
Shine a torch up the wall and you will see.
Fully skimmed walls are better as long as they are done well. ( I was a solid plasterer for over 20 years in the UK.)
Under certain lighting conditions, you will always see the joins with joint and tape. We do lots of level 5 finished work under these lighting conditions (we cover the whole wall in topping compound and sand back.)
I found this amusing when i first came here (you can't get finish plaster ie. skim coat plaster in Victoria at all, I have tried)
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:45 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Fibrous plasterer looking for work in Australia

Originally Posted by robert cowan
Under certain lighting conditions, you will always see the joins with joint and tape.
Well I can't in my house - I must have had a good plasterer!

BB
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Well I can't in my house - I must have had a good plasterer!

BB

Thanks Buzzy
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robert cowan
Shine a torch up the wall and you will see.
Fully skimmed walls are better as long as they are done well. ( I was a solid plasterer for over 20 years in the UK.)
Under certain lighting conditions, you will always see the joins with joint and tape. We do lots of level 5 finished work under these lighting conditions (we cover the whole wall in topping compound and sand back.)
I found this amusing when i first came here (you can't get finish plaster ie. skim coat plaster in Victoria at all, I have tried)
Plastacall will definitely do it... It will just cost a lot more.

Give Amdo a call...30 years in the trade.

They've just completed one wall and one ceiling... that didnt need replacing only a few skims.

They also redid the rest of the house with plaster board and.I cant tell the difference. They are Wet Plasterers.

http://www.whitepages.com.au/business/plasta-call-pty-ltd/keilor-east-vic/B|V00W|aa387aeb|Plasta+Call+Pty+Ltd
Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:20 am
Just Joined

cbagy is an unknown quantity at this point

Im amazed you call your tradesman plasterers, i call them semi skilled labourers, so does everyone else in the UK.
A plasterer applies plaster.
What you have is a drywall with taped joints and is far inferior to a "properly" plastered wall.
A properly plastered wall can take loads more daily hammer than an unplastered wall.
The remark regarding not being able to see the joints on an unplastered wall works very well over the internet as none of us can see the wall. Up close.
Are Australian boards different to those supplied in the UK ?
In the UK the board would blister it's paper skin if the paint was applied badly.
Removing wallpaper from bare boards would more than likely rip off the boards paper coating too if you need to re-decorate.
Though the paint and wallpaper scenarios descibed above are only my estimation as i've never seen paint or wallpaper on unplastered walls.
Well not on my jobs anyway.
It's simply not the done thing over here.

The Italian guys doing 3 coats of plaster, WTF, 3 coats, are you serious ?
They can't actually plaster.
It can be applied and smoothed in one coat with a lot of practice.
More commonly 2 coats, first coat gives a wet key and can be applied in a very fast timeframe over a large area, usually a full wall or ceiling, regardless of length.
This is left to stiffen slightly.
Second coat is applied over the top of the first coat, sometimes reffered to as "laying down".
This is an ultra thin coat that is only meant to smoothen/flatten any imperfections in the first coat.
As long as the stiffening timeframe, from the first coat to the second coat, is timed right then both coats bond as one.
Final proceedure is wet polishing, usually with a horse hair paint brush.
Small amounts of water, are painted or flicked, to the surface and trowelled of immediately.
This grinds in any loose particles and compresses the surface slightly and produces a creamy liquid under the trowel edge.
This liquid, as the trowel is skimmed over the suface plaster, will fill any minute holes in the surface.
Producing a beatufull, hard waring smooth/flat surface.
Too much polishing though produces a surface that paint sometimes cannot actually grip to as it is so smooth.

This probably explains the Italian guys "3 coats".
Possibly misjudged the drying time or misjudged their skills.
Whichever scenario you choose to consider its a simple case of lack of practice/skill.

Moving to AUS myself in 2 yrs, seems im gonna make a killing over there.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:59 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=cbagy;10195869]

I think he maybe talking about the joins .1 coat to bed the tape in,then a base coat and top coat.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cbagy
Im amazed you call your tradesman plasterers, i call them semi skilled labourers, so does everyone else in the UK.
A plasterer applies plaster.
What you have is a drywall with taped joints and is far inferior to a "properly" plastered wall.
A properly plastered wall can take loads more daily hammer than an unplastered wall.
The remark regarding not being able to see the joints on an unplastered wall works very well over the internet as none of us can see the wall. Up close.
Are Australian boards different to those supplied in the UK ?
In the UK the board would blister it's paper skin if the paint was applied badly.
Removing wallpaper from bare boards would more than likely rip off the boards paper coating too if you need to re-decorate.
Though the paint and wallpaper scenarios descibed above are only my estimation as i've never seen paint or wallpaper on unplastered walls.
Well not on my jobs anyway.
It's simply not the done thing over here.

They can't actually plaster.
It can be applied and smoothed in one coat with a lot of practice.
More commonly 2 coats, first coat gives a wet key and can be applied in a very fast timeframe over a large area, usually a full wall or ceiling, regardless of length.
This is left to stiffen slightly.
Second coat is applied over the top of the first coat, sometimes reffered to as "laying down".
This is an ultra thin coat that is only meant to smoothen/flatten any imperfections in the first coat.
As long as the stiffening timeframe, from the first coat to the second coat, is timed right then both coats bond as one.
Final proceedure is wet polishing, usually with a horse hair paint brush.
Small amounts of water, are painted or flicked, to the surface and trowelled of immediately.
This grinds in any loose particles and compresses the surface slightly and produces a creamy liquid under the trowel edge.
This liquid, as the trowel is skimmed over the suface plaster, will fill any minute holes in the surface.
Producing a beatufull, hard waring smooth/flat surface.
Too much polishing though produces a surface that paint sometimes cannot actually grip to as it is so smooth.

This probably explains the Italian guys "3 coats".
Possibly misjudged the drying time or misjudged their skills.
Whichever scenario you choose to consider its a simple case of lack of practice/skill.

Moving to AUS myself in 2 yrs, seems im gonna make a killing over there.
Guess what happens to Poms that are full of themselves without knowing the full story. They end up here....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

I can guarantee you, you will not get work as a trade plasterer in Melbourne at least, unless you spend time working with Italians. So good luck

How comes UK Cadet got it right and you never ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 27th 2012 at 8:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.