Fiancee visa

Old Apr 1st 2002, 3:14 am
Just Joined

jhdonn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiancee visa

Hi everyone,

My fiance is about to apply for a prospective marriage visa via washington US and while this forum has been extremely useful, I have a question to ask.

Originally we wanted to have the wedding in February of 2003 because I wanted to have it out of the way before I went back to Uni in March, but the plan was that I'd visit in December and we'd come back together after New years. The problem is that our funds will be limited as will our patience seeing as we will need to find an aprtment, and he will need to find a job and we will need to finalise teh wedding..all within the space of a month...

Which is why I think it would be better to wait until I've finished UNi at teh end of June and have had time to save more money etc...

Anyway, we would still want to come back togehter in january and have 7-ish months to spend togehter before we're married.
My question is to anyone who has knowledge in this field, will this be possible given that my fiance wants to apply as soon as possible, and we have no idea how long we could leave it in order to have the 4-6 month waiting time grant the visa at teh end of the year.

I mean, if the DIMA sees that we don't want to get marreid until july, will they take longer to process it if he applies now, or will they process it relatively quickly making us push the date forward? Is our seven-ish month period prior to the wedding a realistic goal- would the DIMA find it strange we wanted to wait so long for the wedding?????

well, i hope someone can be of help, because I'm starting to go mad trying to work this out!!

thanks,

Jessica
Old Apr 1st 2002, 11:05 am
George Lombard

Default Re: Fiancee visa

Hi Jessica,

Just make the application and tell Washington when you want to get married. You will
find that they expect you to give a provisional date within six months of the
application by way of a "Notice of Intention to Marry", which is a document you will
need to get from the person who is going to perform the ceremony. But once he
arrives, you will have nine months to get married, provided you do. And during that
nine months you will also need to lodge his permanent visa application.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au jhdonn wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >My fiance is about to apply for a prospective marriage visa via washington US and
    >while this forum has been extremely useful, I have a question to ask.
    >
    >Originally we wanted to have the wedding in February of 2003 because I wanted to
    >have it out of the way before I went back to Uni in March, but the plan was that I'd
    >visit in December and we'd come back together after New years. The problem is that
    >our funds will be limited as will our patience seeing as we will need to find an
    >aprtment, and he will need to find a job and we will need to finalise teh
    >wedding..all within the space of a month...
    >
    >Which is why I think it would be better to wait until I've finished UNi at teh end
    >of June and have had time to save more money etc...
    >
    >Anyway, we would still want to come back togehter in january and have 7-ish months
    >to spend togehter before we're married. My question is to anyone who has knowledge
    >in this field, will this be possible given that my fiance wants to apply as soon as
    >possible, and we have no idea how long we could leave it in order to have the 4-6
    >month waiting time grant the visa at teh end of the year.
    >
    > I mean, if the DIMA sees that we don't want to get marreid until july, will they
    > take longer to process it if he applies now, or will they process it relatively
    > quickly making us push the date forward? Is our seven-ish month period prior to the
    > wedding a realistic goal- would the DIMA find it strange we wanted to wait so long
    > for the wedding?????
    >
    >
    >well, i hope someone can be of help, because I'm starting to go mad trying to work
    >this out!!
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Jessica
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com