Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

fiance visa or bridging visa help needed please

fiance visa or bridging visa help needed please

Old Oct 10th 2001, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

piglet will become famous soon enough

hi there, my girlfriend is australian and we want to marry there. a little confused about which way to go about it. Initial thought that applying for the fiance visa would be best but have read about people going over on a 3 or 6 month holiday visa and marrying there and getting a bridging visa. can you work on the bridging visa? I have a job that i can go to straight away and just want to be with my girlfriend as soon as possible but don't want to do anything that will jeapodise our long term future with visas. the visa forms are a nightmare aren't they? so many pages, if i made a mistake on the forms and they were sent back to me does this mean i have to re-apply and pay again? as you can tell really don't know which way to start. by the way we meet the requirements for the fiance visa we have been together for over 18 months and i have been to oz and she has been here for 8 months but as had to go back now. thanks in advance for any help at all.
Old Oct 10th 2001, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

If you come over on a holiday visa, and then get a bridging visa - the same limitations for work etc on the visa you are holding will apply on the bridging visa.

One thing you may have to look out for (and I'm sure George Lombard or Alan Collet can clarify this): are there any limitations on the holiday visa which mean you cannot apply for any other visa once you get into Oz?
I know that you can apply onshore if you have a 'Working Holiday Visa', I'm doing that later this month.

A couple of tips before you leave UK:

Ensure you have your birth certificate
Go to your local police station and get police clearance.
Ensure you have copies of joint bills/accounts/leases etc.

I've been franticly trying to get things together, and it's a real pain!

Best of luck.
Nara

Old Oct 11th 2001, 4:57 am
Just Joined

thanks for your reply, unfortunatly I have already had a working holiday visa so cannot get another one so my only option is holiday visa's or the fiance one. will the police give you a character clearance i thought the forms at to go directly to the embassy? I will look into the restrictions on the holiday visas good luck yourself.
Old Oct 11th 2001, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by piglet
thanks for your reply, unfortunatly I have already had a working holiday visa so cannot get another one so my only option is holiday visa's or the fiance one. will the police give you a character clearance i thought the forms at to go directly to the embassy? I will look into the restrictions on the holiday visas good luck yourself.
The process I was told to go through was to write to Scotland Yard asking for the appropriate form.
Once that arrived I had to post it back to them with original drivers license and bank statement (need to show current address and date of birth) and payment - 10 pounds. It takes up to 40 days to be returned by post.

It would be much easier to have walked into my local Police station with a tenner in my pocket!

Are you in the UK? Only, it must have been pretty early in the morning when you replied.

Nara
Old Oct 11th 2001, 10:44 am
Susi & Kev

Hi,

I've read so many times about the visa you can get within one day (in Sydney), but
not sure now which category it is...... George Lombard???

George surely can help you better in this!

Good luck Susi

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 11th 2001, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

mozz48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There Nara is right Be careful of the restrictions on a holiday visa If it has stamped on it "No Further Stay" it is impossible to get an extension or a bridging visa I think in your case a Fiancee Visa would be the go Good Luck
Old Oct 11th 2001, 9:30 pm
George Lombard

Hi Susi,

The provisional spouse visa (the two year visa you get before pr is granted) can be
granted in one day provided you have all relevant papers ready and there are no
suspicious circumstances...

But to do this, as others have been pointing out, you need to avoid the 8503
condition which is imposed on some visitor's visas. The 8503 condition is never
applied to an ETA, so people from Western countries don't normally face any problem.

Cheers

George Lombard

susi & kev
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]>> hi there, my girlfriend is australian and we want to marry there. a little[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> confused about which way to go about it. Initial thought that applying for the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> fiance visa would be best but have read about people going over on a 3 or 6[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> month holiday visa and marrying there and getting a bridging visa. can you work[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> on the bridging visa? I have a job that i can go to straight away and just want[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> to be with my girlfriend as soon as possible but don't want to do anything that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> will jeapodise our long term future with visas. the visa forms are a nightmare[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> aren't they? so many pages, if i made a mistake on the forms and they were sent[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> back to me does this mean i have to re-apply and pay again? as you can tell[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> really don't know which way to start. by the way we meet the requirements for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> the fiance visa we have been together for over 18 months and i have been to oz[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> and she has been here for 8 months but as had to go back now. thanks in advance[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> for any help at all.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> --[/usenetquote2]

Old Oct 11th 2001, 11:01 pm
jet
Forum Regular

jet will become famous soon enough

Dear George

I am going to be applying for the prospective spouse visa next month after I return to England from my holiday in Australia as I thought this was going to be the easiest way to go but now I am a bit confused....Are you saying that if I come back on a holiday visa and get married while in Aus that we could just go apply for a spouses visa and get it granted straight away (paperwork permitting of course) Plus what paperwork is required as we have already started to get together all the documentation for the fiance visa. Or would you advise we just carry on with our plans and go for the fiance visa cos we arent planning on getting married till August next yr and do u think that my visa would be granted in time to allow this...Thanking you in anticipation
Debbie
Old Oct 11th 2001, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by George Lombard
Hi Susi,

The provisional spouse visa (the two year visa you get before pr is granted) can be
granted in one day provided you have all relevant papers ready and there are no
suspicious circumstances...

George (or anyone who knows),

It seems my police clearance may not have been quite as immediate as I'd planned (I've been told that it will be sent to me in 3 weeks - my aunt took forms etc into a police station). Is it vital that I have it when I apply for my provisional spouse visa, or can it be submitted once it arrives?
I've already booked a day off, then had to change it because the DIMA changed our appointment, I'd hate to have to change it again to make a later appointment.

Nara
Old Oct 13th 2001, 8:02 am
Nilesh Nandan Solici

test.

Old Oct 15th 2001, 11:30 am
George Lombard

Hi Debbie,

Yes, you could lodge in Australia and save the hassle. But you would need to decide
to stay in Australia after you arrived, otherwise you would be fibbing on your
arrival card.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au jet
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 15th 2001, 2:15 pm
Jaj

WHV holders are expected to leave Australia after their stay, so announcing in
advance a plan to stay longer might not be a good idea.

Jeremy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 18th 2001, 4:03 am
Just Joined

thanks everyone for your advise. I am going to get my police check done and think that i will go to oz and try for the visa there now. we have all the relevant paperwork to prove our relationship is genuine the only thing is we have arranged our wedding date for next sept will it go against us that we will be bringing this forward when i manage to get there? will it look suspicious that we didn't wait and apply from britain? How do i know what type of health check to have to make certain the paperwork is correct please? My girlfriend lives in queensland is it possible to get the visa straight away permitting the paperwork is correct there? sorry to go over old ground seems too good to be true that we may be able to be together sooner than next september and i don't want to spoil my chances in anyway with dima
thanks