British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   FHOG when owned home in the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/fhog-when-owned-home-uk-932009/)

Handers81 Apr 1st 2020 5:56 am

FHOG when owned home in the UK

Hi guys

Hope everyone is keeping safe, just a quick question regarding the First Home Owners Grant.

We currently live in Queensland and are looking to buy a house and land package.

We haven’t owned a house here in Australia but we did in the UK. We don’t own the house in the UK anymore we sold it in January 2018 when we moved here.
My question is are we eligible for the First home owners grant?
Also in our paperwork we have been asked if we have owned a house overseas so I’m guessing we have to declare it???

im so confused and will be grateful for any help
😊

Amazulu Apr 1st 2020 6:34 am

Re: FHOG when owned home in the UK

Originally Posted by Handers81 (Post 12830870)
Hi guys

Hope everyone is keeping safe, just a quick question regarding the First Home Owners Grant.

We currently live in Queensland and are looking to buy a house and land package.

We haven’t owned a house here in Australia but we did in the UK. We don’t own the house in the UK anymore we sold it in January 2018 when we moved here.
My question is are we eligible for the First home owners grant?
Also in our paperwork we have been asked if we have owned a house overseas so I’m guessing we have to declare it???

im so confused and will be grateful for any help
😊

Don't know about Qld but when we moved to WA, we got the payment, despite owning multiple properties in the UK at the same time

rammygirl Apr 1st 2020 12:47 pm

If it asks you the question answer it honestly. It is meant for genuine first time buyers after all. Pity WA don’t enforce this. Not having a go amazulu, if you followed the rules for WAfair enough!
In SA we didn’t get it as we had owned a home overseas.
Our sons should get it if it still applies (when they have saved enough deposit!)

Handers81 Apr 1st 2020 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by rammygirl (Post 12831036)
If it asks you the question answer it honestly. It is meant for genuine first time buyers after all. Pity WA don’t enforce this. Not having a go amazulu, if you followed the rules for WAfair enough!
Our sons should get it if it still applies (when they have saved enough deposit!)

Thank you! I definitely intend to declare it as it asks and I’m not going to hide it I’m just confused because all the governments websites don’t mention owning a house overseas for FHOG only for the concessions x

Handers81 Apr 1st 2020 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12830881)
Don't know about Qld but when we moved to WA, we got the payment, despite owning multiple properties in the UK at the same time

Thank you!

i guess we will just declare it because I don’t want it to come back and bite us on the bum later and see what happens x

Amazulu Apr 1st 2020 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by rammygirl (Post 12831036)

We certainly didn't hide the fact that we owned property OS. I remember thinking at the time that it was a crazy situation, but it was offered to us and we took it

Dorothy Apr 1st 2020 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12831108)
We certainly didn't hide the fact that we owned property OS. I remember thinking at the time that it was a crazy situation, but it was offered to us and we took it

Same with us. We had owned homes in Canada and even though we declared it ww got the FHOG.

Handers81 Apr 1st 2020 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12831108)

we will if it’s offered to us as well, thank you for replying x

Handers81 Apr 1st 2020 11:20 pm

Thanks everyone, fingers crossed we can get it!

thank you so much for taking the time to reply x

louie Apr 2nd 2020 12:33 am

The eligibility checker - https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/buyin...igibility-test - only asks about property in Australia. I went through the checker putting in info I thought would be applicable in your case and it says yes.

Handers81 Apr 2nd 2020 12:36 am

Originally Posted by louie (Post 12831367)
The eligibility checker - https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/buyin...igibility-test - only asks about property in Australia. I went through the checker putting in info I thought would be applicable in your case and it says yes.

Thank you for doing that, it will be a big help
if we can get it x

Kiwipaul Apr 2nd 2020 4:15 am

Yes you are entitled to the FHOG in QLD.
When I bought my house in Brisbane after arriving from NZ (where I had an investment property) I couldn't believe that I was entitled but on checking and verifying the rules I applied and received it.

So go ahead and apply.