Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FHOG (First Home Owner Grant)

FHOG (First Home Owner Grant)

Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:52 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up FHOG (First Home Owner Grant)

The First Home Owner Grant is a $7000 grant available to anybody (with the right visa) buying their first home in Australia. I have seen a lot of misinformation on here about this grant, so as we have just received ours, I will clarify it for everyone.

It is easy to apply for, although I doubt anyone will tell you about it, when you are buying your house. Simply get a form from a bank, (they are available from other places too) fill it in, and submit it. Its quite simple, then as soon as you receive your Certificate Of Title, the money is paid directly into your bank account. Start to finish of whole process.......about five weeks (in our case).

One of the myths about this grant is migrants dont get it........well they do. Also you dont get it unless you take out a mortgage.......NOT TRUE, we paid cash for our house and also received the grant.

There is only a shortish window to apply for it though, so if you are in the process of buying a house, and havent applied as yet, I would get on it as soon as you have read this.

This site will have more info for you: http://www.firsthome.gov.au/
Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FHOG (First Home Owner Grant)

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
The First Home Owner Grant is a $7000 grant available to anybody (with the right visa) buying their first home in Australia. I have seen a lot of misinformation on here about this grant, so as we have just received ours, I will clarify it for everyone.

It is easy to apply for, although I doubt anyone will tell you about it, when you are buying your house. Simply get a form from a bank, (they are available from other places too) fill it in, and submit it. Its quite simple, then as soon as you receive your Certificate Of Title, the money is paid directly into your bank account. Start to finish of whole process.......about five weeks (in our case).

One of the myths about this grant is migrants dont get it........well they do. Also you dont get it unless you take out a mortgage.......NOT TRUE, we paid cash for our house and also received the grant.

There is only a shortish window to apply for it though, so if you are in the process of buying a house, and havent applied as yet, I would get on it as soon as you have read this.

Also, in Victoria, until Jun 05 (at this stage) you will get an additional $5,000 from the State Govt.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 12:00 am
owieb

Rules vary between states so check the state you are planning on buying in.

For example, in WA, if you buy a property on a temp visa and then become PR you will not be able to claim the grant.

Old Sep 21st 2004, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point

CF

can you apply before you've found a house to buy?
what do you need to show to prove that you are buying a house?

thanks

ss

Old Sep 21st 2004, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunny spells
CF

ss
Now that is KEEN
Old Sep 21st 2004, 2:37 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

CF

thanks

ss
In a word......No

How could you. It only takes a few minutes to fill the form in, you could always get a form in advance, but I really wouldnt bother. Its a really simple process.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

after what milestone can you apply then?

cos one way of looking at it would be as a form of assistance to first time buyers who do not have sufficient financial means for acquiring a property, which would lead to think (those who can) that the grant might be awarded prior to having to put down a deposit.

In a word......No

How could you. It only takes a few minutes to fill the form in, you could always get a form in advance, but I really wouldnt bother. Its a really simple process.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 3:45 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Haven't seen the myths myself. like anyone here saying migrants don't get it. If you are PR or citizen you can get it, but you can't get it if you are not PR or a citizen ( and if you have got it and you are not PR or citizen, your actually breaking the law here, and if caught up with be forced to repay the money. They've been clamping down on some of the fraudulent behaviour here , especially people who apply for it in their children's names ) . You can get the forms on the various state gov sites. You can also apply for it within the year of after the house being finished ( if building), or within a year of purchase if you want .. so there is no mad rush.

I've never seen a post on here either that people need a mortgage to get it, I haven't got a mortgage. So I don't know what you are referring to with "myths" .

I've just recently received 10 thou, within the past month, two weeks ago to be precise it was paid into my account ( I signed contracts just before it went down to 7 ) , and couldn't be bothered applying/sending it off for it until a few months back now . I had to fill in two lots of forms to get it, the extra three form is still there for people who signed contracts before that cut of date ( but I think it's a bit to late now for most people who are entitled to the extra 3 grand , I only just got my application off on time for that one., and it went before a board who approved me the extra 3 . You needed to apply for that one within the year of final handing over of house in Qld)

The rules for each state should be on that Gov states web site, also the forms, It is for Qld. People can read up on the exact requirements for their state on the gov sites for themselves of that state and download the forms from there to send off.

Cheers
Old Sep 21st 2004, 4:14 am
Karma earned, not whored

after what milestone can you apply then?

cos one way of looking at it would be as a form of assistance to first time buyers who do not have sufficient financial means for acquiring a property, which would lead to think (those who can) that the grant might be awarded prior to having to put down a deposit.
From what I understand, you receive the money as soon as the Certificate Of Title is in your name, thats what happened in our case. I sent the Certificate off last week, and received a direct payment to my bank account yesterday.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 5:02 am
Badge

for me it was integrated, the bank sorted it all out - actually the mortgage broker did - and the grant and our settlement figure crossed on settlement (completion) date..

I did ask early on in the process if the AUS12k was taken in to consideration; do you have to ''borrow" this amount pending receipt (it may prove a problem if you are reaching your max eg by borrowing this initially you can't find 20pc for example, and have to pay Indemnity insurance as a result, or get knocked back cos it will take you over your max lend)

This was one of the reasons I sacked my HSBC women - her English was not up to scratch - she couldn't work this out and give me an answer and she fluffed her calculations many times. I had to go and sit next to her and oversee what she was typing in to her calculator..nice enough girl though.

They will want to see your passport for PR proof.

BM

Old Sep 21st 2004, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

well, I am glad someone sees the details of the big picture instead of making smartass comments.

thanks badge

Originally Posted by Badge
for me it was integrated, the bank sorted it all out - actually the mortgage broker did - and the grant and our settlement figure crossed on settlement (completion) date..

I did ask early on in the process if the AUS12k was taken in to consideration; do you have to ''borrow" this amount pending receipt (it may prove a problem if you are reaching your max eg by borrowing this initially you can't find 20pc for example, and have to pay Indemnity insurance as a result, or get knocked back cos it will take you over your max lend)

This was one of the reasons I sacked my HSBC women - her English was not up to scratch - she couldn't work this out and give me an answer and she fluffed her calculations many times. I had to go and sit next to her and oversee what she was typing in to her calculator..nice enough girl though.

They will want to see your passport for PR proof.

BM
Old Sep 21st 2004, 5:12 am
ABCDiamond

No, You need to put the property address on the application form.

The finalised purchase contracts.

Old Sep 21st 2004, 5:48 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
No, You need to put the property address on the application form.

The finalised purchase contracts.
I tell you what I had to include to name just a few ( building) - my contract, payment details, when the slab was laid, the council inspections of slab laid and final inspection , council approved inspected with dates , and handover date ,besides photo copies of Visa to name but a few. I had a big envelope posting my whole contract, and various other receipts and inspections.. even then they sent it back, as they wanted a photo copy of my visa proving I was either a PR or citizen ( the form did not ask for this photocopy of visa initially).. but they sent it back, and I had to resend it back off with the proof of my status.

I think it was because they are clamping down on frauds, and most people claim for it straight away.. I left it for nearly a year after hand over date , I couldn't bothered to rush out and claim it initially- I was in no rush to claim. so it may have looked odd to them , when most people rush out to get it.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 21st 2004 at 6:04 am.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 5:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ceri
I tell you what I had to include ( building) - my contract, payment details, when the slab was laid, the council inspections of slab laid and final inspection , council approved inspected with dates , and handover date ,besides photo copies of Visa to name but a few. I had a big envelope posting my whole contract, and various other receipts and inspections.. even then they sent it back, as they wanted a photo copy of my visa proving I was either a PR or citizen ( the form did not ask for this initially).. so had to resend it back off.

cheers
If it is done at the time of purchase, (existing House, or Land & House Package) the Solicitor or Mortgage People handle it all, so it is easier than it appears. All you need to do is sign it

Old Sep 21st 2004, 6:01 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If it is done at the time of purchase, (existing House, or Land & House Package) the Solicitor or Mortgage People handle it all, so it is easier than it appears. All you need to do is sign it
I did not have a mortgage. And neither did I have one of those land and Package homes/deals ( it was my own land which I bought about a year and a half before I found a builder and built on my land)
And I handled it myself.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 21st 2004 at 6:34 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.