Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fewer Brits moving to Australia

Fewer Brits moving to Australia

Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:00 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fewer Brits moving to Australia

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...2-1702,00.html
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Fewer Brits moving to Australia

Fewer Brits moving anywhere it seems...

The number was down by about 10,000 compared to 2006, in line with an overall fall in the number of Britons who emigrated overseas last year.
However out of all the countries British migrants chose to start their new lives, Australia remained top of the list for 2007.
Australia's immigration however is still rising.

2005 128,790 10,732 per month
2006 133,880 11,157 per month
2007 141,650 11,804 per month
2008 106,690 13,336 per month (8 months to August 2008)

Figures taken from ABS Number of movements ; Permanent Settler Arrivals ;

Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:35 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Fewer Brits moving anywhere it seems...

Australia's immigration however is still rising.

2005 128,790 10,732 per month
2006 133,880 11,157 per month
2007 141,650 11,804 per month
2008 106,690 13,336 per month (8 months to August 2008)

Figures taken from ABS Number of movements ; Permanent Settler Arrivals ;

Permanent arrivals (settlers) comprise:

* travellers who hold migrant visas (regardless of stated intended period of stay)
* New Zealand citizens who indicate an intention to settle
* those who are otherwise eligible to settle (e.g. overseas-born children of Australian citizens).

I guess that the figures don't include those who arrive on a temp visa and then subsequently convert to permanent.

e.g. I arrived on a WHV which became permanent. Then there are 1,000's each year who arrive on 457, a fair proportion of those become permanent.

And of course there are the students from all over the world. I met 2 colombian girls a few months ago who are both lawyers in bogota, but moved here to study hairdressing and bakery respectively.....With the real purpose of obtaining permanent residency.

What made me laugh, was that the girl training to be a baker was doing her work experience in subway !!!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:48 pm
ABCDiamond

In 2007 they also recorded 285,560 under the class: "Long-term (more than one year) Visitors arriving"

How many of those were 457's, planning on staying

In the class "Short-term (less than one year) Visitors arriving" there were 5,647,600 arrivals in 2007.

Not all from Britain of course

Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

We would have moved out to Oz in 2007 if we could have sold our house when it went on the market in early 2007, I am sure that there are many other Brits who delayed their plans for similar reasons and that this has affected the stats somewhat. As it is we will be making the move in Jan 09, about 18 months later than we planned.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:07 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterby
We would have moved out to Oz in 2007 if we could have sold our house when it went on the market in early 2007, I am sure that there are many other Brits who delayed their plans for similar reasons and that this has affected the stats somewhat. As it is we will be making the move in Jan 09, about 18 months later than we planned.
Great minds think alike is the figure based on visas issued or those that have arrived in australia last year to take up residency.

You probably dont know that but it would be interesting to know the criteria, it seems to me there are more and more people planning the move than when I started out in 2006.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Good luck with the move mate, you wont regret it.

Barney
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by POW148
Good luck with the move mate, you wont regret it.
Cheers Barney! I hope not!

I am not sure how they are doing their figures, we were issued our visa in 2007, validated in 2008 and are moving out in 2009 so which year do we get counted in? Maybe they base it on the arrival cards and the people who say that they are moving to Australia permanently as this would be the most accurate way of getting the info.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Small wonder really, given the hoops you have to jump through and the expense of the visa. With the credit crunch, I reckon people just can't afford to do it.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Small wonder really, given the hoops you have to jump through and the expense of the visa. With the credit crunch, I reckon people just can't afford to do it.
and also that credit crunch is probably making people reluctant to give up good jobs and sell their houses for rock bottom prices without knowing what they might be coming to in terms of security here.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:15 am
ABCDiamond

I am not sure how they are doing their figures, we were issued our visa in 2007, validated in 2008 and are moving out in 2009 so which year do we get counted in? Maybe they base it on the arrival cards and the people who say that they are moving to Australia permanently as this would be the most accurate way of getting the info.
The figures I quoted in post #2, do it on the arrival cards.

Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The figures I quoted in post #2, do it on the arrival cards.
Ah, I see, hadn't noticed that, thanks.