Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

a few questions for those of you on the sunshine coast

a few questions for those of you on the sunshine coast

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:27 pm
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default a few questions for those of you on the sunshine coast

Hiya as things arent really going to plan now with the sale of our house, we have decided to rent it out and rent on the sunshine coast, my hubby starts his job in maroochydore the end of the month, we fly out next saturday and just had a few questions as to what kind of rent we would be paying for a 3 bed? anywhere within half hour drive to maroochydore, and what are the outgoings with bills, we are a family of 4, so we will be paying nursery fees etc, as hubby would like a career change just wondered how he would go about training to become an electrician and how much it would cost? sorry for all the questions but wanna get things straight in my head as we dont have the money we planned to bring with us, oh yeah one last thing can anyone recomend places to buy cheap cars from when we arrive, many thanks for your help
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a few questions for those of you on the sunshine coast

Hi, I can't answer many of your questions but I'd just like to say you are coming to the best place in the world :-) It's a brilliant place to bring up your kids and we wished we'd come here 10 years ago when our son was 8.

As to renting, I reckon about $350 - $400 a week would get you something nice. What area are you looking to live in? We live in Mountain Creek which is 5 minutes or so from beautiful beaches and the shopping malls (Kawana and Sunshine Plaza).

There's a lot of british expats around here and you'll soon make lots of friends. If you are thinking of buying a 4WD we are having a trip in a few weeks down to Bribie island which you'd be more than welcome to come along.

Have fun and catch up with you when you arrive
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by collybabe24
Hiya as things arent really going to plan now with the sale of our house, we have decided to rent it out and rent on the sunshine coast, my hubby starts his job in maroochydore the end of the month, we fly out next saturday and just had a few questions as to what kind of rent we would be paying for a 3 bed? anywhere within half hour drive to maroochydore, and what are the outgoings with bills, we are a family of 4, so we will be paying nursery fees etc, as hubby would like a career change just wondered how he would go about training to become an electrician and how much it would cost? sorry for all the questions but wanna get things straight in my head as we dont have the money we planned to bring with us, oh yeah one last thing can anyone recomend places to buy cheap cars from when we arrive, many thanks for your help

Hi,

We feel ya on the house selling front............ours has been on market since july.....4 viewers..........none since end of august

We are waiting on our 136 visa coming through.......applied 17th august 2007.

I am maintenance electrician and we are heading to Bundaberg, On the capricorn coast - just above sunshine coast - Beautiful part of the world.......As far as we can see rentals are about 3 - 400 dollars a week but as we are not there yet not 100%.

What does your husband do at the moment??

As to re skilling to electrician I am not sure how that works in oz.......I know that I will have to attend courses on arrival to continue working as a spark.........even though I have all the necessary qualifications here

Best of luck and we hope it all works out well for you in the future
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Electricians courses are 4 year long. The wages will be low as he will be working as an apprentice, probably looking at around the $20 per hour mark. Not really a good wage if you have a family, but if you are both working and can stick to a budget you will probably manage.

Here's a link for more info: http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...tice/index.htm
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:50 am
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks for all of your help, thanks for the link, hubby is a mechanic and the wages are really bad he just wanted to do something different for more money so we wouldnt have to struggle, do you know if you pay council tax on top of rent? and is there any other outgoings i have missed? many thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:52 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by collybabe24
Many thanks for all of your help, thanks for the link, hubby is a mechanic and the wages are really bad he just wanted to do something different for more money so we wouldnt have to struggle, do you know if you pay council tax on top of rent? and is there any other outgoings i have missed? many thanks
From what I gather Landlord pays council rates,

From March 2008, renters will pay for water usage too
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:54 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markandgill
Hi,

We feel ya on the house selling front............ours has been on market since july.....4 viewers..........none since end of august

I am maintenance electrician and we are heading to Bundaberg, On the capricorn coast - just above sunshine coast - Beautiful part of the world.......As far as we can see rentals are about 3 - 400 dollars a week but as we are not there yet not 100%.

As to re skilling to electrician I am not sure how that works in oz.......I know that I will have to attend courses on arrival to continue working as a spark.........even though I have all the necessary qualifications here

Get used to calling it Bundy. pronounced bandy

Friend has just rented a place in Bundy, he is now back in Brizzy.. for 320 per week. 4 beds above grnd pool etc etc.. so your price guide seems spot on
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Hi, I can't answer many of your questions but I'd just like to say you are coming to the best place in the world :-) It's a brilliant place to bring up your kids and we wished we'd come here 10 years ago when our son was 8.

As to renting, I reckon about $350 - $400 a week would get you something nice. What area are you looking to live in? We live in Mountain Creek which is 5 minutes or so from beautiful beaches and the shopping malls (Kawana and Sunshine Plaza).

There's a lot of british expats around here and you'll soon make lots of friends. If you are thinking of buying a 4WD we are having a trip in a few weeks down to Bribie island which you'd be more than welcome to come along.

Have fun and catch up with you when you arrive

we are on bribie quite often keep you eyes open for a black mitsi triton with a yellow british style vanvault on the back
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

brasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by markandgill
Hi,

Hi! Dont mean to put a damner on things. But be aware that when you come here as a qualified spark(my husband has been one for 20 years in UK) they give you your TRA certificate, then you have to work as an electrician mate for so long and do a difficult college course which takes up to 12 months, then you have to pay for exams and when you have that licence you can then work for someone as a qualified electrician. If you want to be a sub contractor, you then have to do further college course pay further money for that and then more money for the sub contractors licence. As well as that you have to be first aid trained and have a blue card, as well as everything else.... no one explained all this before we came here. Takes at least 12/18 months to get the right licences and get paid anything near decent money, so be prepared!!