Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Few Questions re: Medicals

A Few Questions re: Medicals

Old May 23rd 2004, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default A Few Questions re: Medicals

Had our medicals (and cchest x-rays) called for.

1. What do they cost? Is it a set fee or does it pay to shop around?

2. What does the medical involve?

3. What are they looking for? Is being overweight an issue?

4. We are in West Yorkshire - waiting for list of doctors from our case officer. Anybody had any good or bad experiences with doctors in this region?

Once again, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
Old May 23rd 2004, 8:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They all charge different fees, so definitely phone around and get quotes. You can download the list from the website

http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/FORMS/DOCTORS.PDF
Old May 23rd 2004, 9:08 pm
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Few Questions re: Medicals

Originally posted by MarkandJulie

4. We are in West Yorkshire - waiting for list of doctors from our case officer. Anybody had any good or bad experiences with doctors in this region?

My xray was £45 and the medical was £95 both in Kingston-upon-Thames. The medical is a very straightforward test with nothing to worry about, they just take some blood, check blood pressure, look in ears and eyes etc. It was very quick and painless!

They seem to be mostly concerned about keeping TB out of OZ but anything that may be a large burden on their health service would be a problem.
Old May 23rd 2004, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
Phone around for quotes they range from about 95-170 pounds. We had ours done 2 weeks ago. Meds was very easy weight and height. Checked eyesight ears muscle reflexes, tummy chest and back. Took 3 lots of blood samples as I am a nurse and bp and urine sample no problems. Told afterwards no problems.

The childrens meds were even simpler, yes they look fine etc etc very quick check and bobs your uncle.
dont hesitate and get them done. Your visa will be a little nearer.
Regards
Irene

ps our meds were 65 + 25 for each blood test (hubby had 1 I had to have 3)
xrays were 45 each just for hubby and i
Sorry cant give you any details of places we went to chichester which is too far for you.
Old May 23rd 2004, 9:16 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by MarkandJulie

1. Cost does vary, usually pay around £140-£170 for an adult. This is for blood test, medical & Xray. If you have piercings and/or tattoos you'll need Hep tests too so this will add extra cost.

2. Very basic - Blood pressure, check responses on knees and feet, heart beat, ears, eyes, height, weight. Urine sample, xray, blood tests.

3. You have to be quite overweight for it to be an issue. If you do a search you'll see this has been covered a couple of times and that may help you.

4. I had my meds done in Manchester - but I'm sure there must be some in W Yorks that are nearer, if not let me know and I'll give you details about my meds in Manc.

Above all though, dont worry, the meds are very straight forward and quite basic

If you havent done it already and if you're case officer isnt providing you with them, it might be an idea to get hold of the meds forms you need. You'll also need two passport photos to go on the forms.
Old May 23rd 2004, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Don't worry about being overweight, it isn't a problem. Unless maybe if you were so heavy that it led to medical problems.

The medical is usually a breeze, fairly basic stuff. We asked our Doctor the results at the end of the medical, she told us we were all o.k so that put our minds to rest.