Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A few questions for the "expats"

A few questions for the "expats"

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 2:50 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default A few questions for the "expats"

I have a couple of questions for all those "accused" of being negative posters (Personally I value both sides as its better to go with your eyes open)

1) How long have you been there?
2) Why did you go?
3) Though there are a lot of negatives have you any positive experiences, besides beaches open spaces blah blah.
4) Do you think that the experience has been worth it or if you could roll back time would you not go?
5) Are you planning on moving back?

It'd be nice to get some straight answers but ......... well we'll see
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 2:58 pm
owieb

Default Re: A few questions for the "expats"

Originally posted by HUP
I have a couple of questions for all those "accused" of being negative posters (Personally I value both sides as its better to go with your eyes open)

2) Why did you go?
3) Though there are a lot of negatives have you any positive experiences, besides beaches open spaces blah blah.
4) Do you think that the experience has been worth it or if you could roll back time would you not go?

1 - 12 months

2 - Because the UK was rapidly going down hill.

3 - Beaches, open spaces, weather, lifestyle are all positive experiences for me.

4 - It's worth it to me.

5 - Not a chance.

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:22 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HUP

2) Why did you go?

1) April 2002 - coming up 17 months
2) adventure and a case of why not, hubby in print 22 years, change of whatever - somewhat forcing change, cause we could of sold up in UK and moved elsewhere, and a bit of well we could....
3) beaches nice, bbqs nice (ours in UK better - no gas real fire, man make fire aussies turn on gas!) Yes enjoying challenge, we have started over and over and I get peeded big time all the time - learning to get a sense of humour cause I am a paddy not english - keep telling them to get the insult right. Not a stupid pom - thick irish ok?' Nice experiences - all of them, seriously I am too new in this one, give me a few years!!!
4) Worth it - roll back and I would do this one and much worse
5) Maybe/Maybe not.....it depends ..but not back to what I had, that has changed and so do I ........onwards and upwards?

I do not know if I am classed as a 'negative' poster just say it as I see it, having loads of fun and learning heaps. People should go where they are going when they want and if it stops the 'what ifs' then so be it

I do get a little 'p'd oft' with the negative title on people who might post on this site - an opinion is a an opnion..just that!

Cheers
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:38 pm
No wuckin furries mate

brox is an unknown quantity at this point

!. Since May. We are still "learning" as some on here would say

2.In-laws came out here 10 years ago. We came out here on hols 6 years ago. I wanted to come out then. Took me 6 years to talk the missus round. Now she loves it.

3Sold the house in Uk so came out with good deposit for house.Better start than most aussie's. Do same job, same household routines, wife doesn't have to work. Money slightly better than UK. Boss and people work with great. People more friendly.

4. Weather, good (rough at times)

5. Beaches scenery where we are spectacular.

^. Would not chang ti if you gave me a million pound to go back home.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:41 pm
No wuckin furries mate

brox is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry just read your thread again. Not a negative poster but thought I'd throw me 5 cent's in anyway
Old Sep 4th 2003, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Originally posted by HUP

2) Why did you go?

==================================

1) 8 months
2) Been on holiday, liked it, fancied a change and a new challenge
3) generally more laid back, people seem nicer,
4) Yes it's been worth it absolutley without a doubt
5) Not as far as I can see - no reason to.

short but honest

Diane
Old Sep 4th 2003, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Ooohhh me too - Just say it as it is. Good n' bad, sweet n sour,
too much custard, blah blah.

Diane
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by HUP

2) Why did you go?

1) 15 months

2) A few early deaths & illness in the family made me realise life is short, we wanted to have a few years adventuring whilst our children were small.

3) Wherever I go, shops, school, walk up the road, park etc. people are almost always happy to say hello or talk to our children - I love that. In England, especially the South East people keep themselves to themselves, avoid eye contact.

4) We have no regrets, if we hadn't made the move what would we have been doing? - not alot! We've seen and experienced so much and learnt alot about ourselves.

5) We are planning on moving back to the UK next year but Australia will always be special to us, we want to become citizens so we have options to return in the future.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:09 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

just over 3 months.

2) Why did you go?

because I could. I wanted a better lifestyle in an English speaking country. The UK's shitty climate pissed me off.

the people are friendlier, more outgoing and willing to try things.

so far so good.

no. I want to find me a nice Aussie girl and settle here.

Last edited by welshpom; Sep 4th 2003 at 3:13 am.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HUP

2) Why did you go?

1. Longer than a fish-and-chip-shopstress's prison sentence but shorter than Doctor Who's scarf. Put it this way: you know the Mayflower? Well I was on the Aprilflower, the boat that left earlier that morning. About 300 years. Or about 40.

2. I went in for a competition advertised in the paper: "Win the Dream" ran the headline. I came last. No, seriously, I filled up 10,000 books with green shield stamps and didn't know how else to use them. Either that or in order to escape a bad life.

3. I won $21 on the lotto about 3 years ago - The street still talks about it now and every time the neighbours see me around you can hear them whisper "Look at him thumbing his nose at us, Mr Big shot the lucky bastard."

4. Yes, if I could turn the clock back, I would still go, but I would bring more sun cream and would have remembered to turn the gas off. In all honesty, yes, I would have come, but not to live, but to stay for a year or two before going back to the UK.

5. I am planning on moving back as soon as Roger Moore wins an Oscar or as soon as Megalania stops using the word Whinger in every post, whichever is sooner. Yes.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:23 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Coming up to nine months

2) Why did you go?

Cos i thought it would be a nice change and I had the opportunity to do so

Well, I'm one of those who still likes the beach and is looking forward to the QLD summer (all right, all right, I said I'd only been here nine months). Like Welshpom, would agree its a generally friendly, relaxed, happy sort of place

Yes and no (respectively)

Not planning.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:24 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by HUP

2) Why did you go?

1) A little over 6 years now (1 in Newcastle, 5 in Brisbane)
2) Because we moved within the company to Aus from Asia... came here to set up another branch in Queensland.
3) of course
4) No I would not roll back the clock. I don't believe in rolling back the clock if it were at all possible.
5)Yes of course. I did not leave Britian forever. I left with the job.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

1) Nearly 5 years
2) To live in a sub-tropical climate, and for a less stressed lifestyle
3) Yes - see (2), plus good place for (my young) kids to grow up.
4) Most definately worth it - would do it again (bringing more money this time)
5) Not yet - take each year, month, day as it comes. If moving on -maybe to Canada so I can practice freezing to death for a change of lifestyle and climate

AndyH.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

1 - 11 months
2 - Like others came out for a holiday , when we got back to the UK couldnt settle , so thought lets go for it what an adventure
3 - Yes there are alot of bad things , we know !! But we are experiencing good to , i have a new job which i love .. The people are just so friendly , i am always getting invited out for coffee , paul says i will talk to anyone . The sea , beach , sun all very nice.
4 - Yes it has been worth it , but as said before we wish we would have had alot more money to make life easier.
5 - No not yet , but wont say we will stop here for ever . I miss my family terrible , i miss cows , sheep and horses in the fields , churches and pubs . Silly but when its gone you realize what you had. But saying that we hope it can work for us , will give it a few years first .
Joanne
Old Sep 4th 2003, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by HUP

2) Why did you go?

First of all word your question Realistic not Negative because thats what it is.

1. 12 years ago first came out, 3 years overseas in that, came back for business each time, plus one month away every year for holidays, Business opportunites are what kept us here, like people who work in Dubai or something you do it for the dosh.

2. OZ Bloke.

3. Yeah I could find a laugh anywhere.

4. Could easily have stayed in Canada, but the $$$$ were here.

5. Always planned to go back, reality was tho, at some stage of our life we had to work like mad to make a secure future after years of travel, we got the breaks here so work we did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.