A few questions

Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

thepominlaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few questions

Hi,

Thanks for all your help last post, were starting to get our head around what we have to do now.

Couple of questions though - were trying to sort out what we would take to get a reasonably accurate costing for shipping.

1 can anyone recommend a good shipping company for the uk to aus?
2 is it worth taking our electrical goods (fridge/freezer - TV - PC etc)?

and the most worrying

how do you tell your parents / relatives - and hints would be appreciated.

thanks

john
Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions

Originally Posted by thepominlaw
how do you tell your parents / relatives - and hints would be appreciated.
i don't know about shipping and stuff, but I honestly think that just telling them straight out is the best. We took my parents out for dinner, and we really hoped to shock them (I've never managed, not once. Drives me mad.). We failed, and they took it in their stride.

We put off telling my Grandparents as long as possible as they're both ill. They both cried, and it was horrible, but my parents were great and arranged aunties and uncles to stop by their houses about an hour after we were due to arrive. It meant that they weren't alone all afternoon and kept them going a bit. I'd recommend that tactic to anyone.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:57 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thepominlaw
Hi,

1 can anyone recommend a good shipping company for the uk to aus?
2 is it worth taking our electrical goods (fridge/freezer - TV - PC etc)?

john
Hi Hope this helps you, just got the quotes over the past few weeks....

Latest shipping quotes to Perth.
Quote is for a door to door service with pick-up in Peterborough (UK) and delivery to any address 30 km's from freemantle and is for a 20ft sole use container (exept John Mason's) and includes packing etc.

F+N = £3,245.00
PSS = £3,554.00 (includes 10% GST)
John Mason (Shared container) £3,273.00
AGS = £4,295.00
Atlantic = £3,474.00
Abels = £3,759.00
Anglo Pacific = £3,896.00

When you work out the volume for a container, there is a point when it's more cost effective to go with a container than a groupage shipment. One quote I had was around £2,700 for groupage or £3,300 for a sole use container. Think about it, for and extra £600 you get to take virtually everything and fill the container to the brim. Just remember, everything has to be spotless, especially lawn mowers, garden furniture, cycle wheels, shoes, tents etc etc.
We have problems with some of our furniture, the dining chairs are woven banana leaves... they can't go, also bed is a question mark as it's wicker. The shipping company will advise you when the estimate.

One story I read on here a while back warns of selling everything to save on shipping. I remember someone sold a paint tray and roller for 50p at a car boot sale, but then had to pay something like $8.00 to replace it when they arrived, false economy. Then there are others who got rid of everything and enjoyed spending the shipping cost on new furniture etc, I suppose it depends on how good or bad/old your stuff is.

You cannot take the fridge/freezer as it's likely to contain CFC's.
The TV will not work unless it's very new and has Australia listed in the set up when you have to select the country. However, you can use the TV as moniter for the DVD (check it's multi region) you can get (most) unlock codes to make the DVD multi region from the web, have a look. The TV will work if you use an Aussie VCR to receive the signal and decode it, or a set top box digi box (Fotel) like Sky. I just bought a new Sony DVD recorder (multi region) for £154 delivered, so hopefully that should do me.

Cheers
Neil.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:09 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

1. Crown Relocations has been a popular choice for removals, try a search of this forum for more info. We used them and were happy with the service.

2. Fridge / freezers are generally not recommended to ship. Some say that the UK ones won't cope in the heat over here but I don't know. My thoughts are what will you need to buy to cope while you wait for your container? We couldn't last without a fridge so we decided to leave ours and buy one as soon as we got a place over here.
Our TV, a Phillips bought in 2002, worked fine as soon as we plugged it in. WE left our aged old vcr in the uk and bought a decent and cheap vcr/dvd combo when we got here.

3. I'm not very good at the people part so I just made our intentions known from the start. Like it or lump it, it's our life and we're going to do what's best for us. Tactful aren't I?

Chris.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

My 2p worth.

My Tv doesn't have australia listed in the setup so left it on UK and guess what, managed to tune it with sound. Only 5 years old though.

My freezer is from the UK and coped fine yesterday with the 42 it hit here in Umina.

Jo