Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A few queries b4 our sudden departure to OZ!?

A few queries b4 our sudden departure to OZ!?

Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

rick neale is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A few queries b4 our sudden departure to OZ!?

I have recently been offered a new job in Melbourne Australia and could well be out there in 12 weeks as I am getting a company sponsored pre-approved 4yr VISA so its all a bit scary! I would be hugely grateful if you guys could help me out with a few queriesthat I can think of.

Can anyone please comment tell me if the process of obtaining pre-approved VISAs is straight forward or if there are any known problems? Also could anone please give me a bit of info on the medicals?

My other main worry is whether to sell my property in the UK or not. I know that I am entitled to the LAFHA and have been offered $5000 per annum by my new employers. Does this seem reasonable or should I bite the bullet and sell up?

What type of electrical equipment will I be able to bring over with me? and can anyone tell me what the shipping costs are like to Australia and the estimated duration of shipping?

I am looking at properties to rent in Narre Warren, Berwick, Endeavour Hills and Cranbourne after recommendations from a prospective collegue. Does anyone know these districts and if so which would you recommend to live - I have a partner and a 2yrold daughter.

Thats all i can think of for now but I would truly appreciate any help.

Many Thanks
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:42 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few queries b4 our sudden departure to OZ!?

Originally Posted by rick neale
I am getting a company sponsored pre-approved 4yr VISA
I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a 'pre-approved' visa. I hope your company know what they're doing!
What type of electrical equipment will I be able to bring over with me?
Pretty much all of your electical equipment will work in Oz with a change of plug. Try doing a search on here (search button, top-right) for specific details on fridges and the like, where there are stict regulations.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

rick neale is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a 'pre-approved' visa. I hope your company know what they're doing!
Cheers for that Wmoore

I hope they do know - they are one of the biggest engineering cos. in the world!

I think from previous emails they called it a 457 4 year VISA but in my latest email the VISA mentioned was the 'pre-approved'????

Anyhow I'll try the link now for the electrical equipment
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:51 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I think from previous emails they called it a 457 4 year VISA but in my latest email the VISA mentioned was the 'pre-approved'????
Subclass 457 is the correct term. Read Jeremy's (JAJ) 457 Visa Restrictions thread for some very useful and important info on this visa type.

Hopefully the company has been through it before. A few people on this forum have been down this route so maybe they can help you out when they log on this morning (Oz time).
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Hi Rick

We got a surprise job offer in March and they applied for our 457 visas for us. We received them about 10 days ago and Chris will be going in 13 days (scary when you're counting days rather than weeks). So yes it is possible to do it that quick but very anxious and we wish we'd had more time.

Also we had to take the initiative and ask when meds were required as they didn't mention them and seemed to think it would take only days to organise.
Your agent (I presume they're appointing one) should be able to give you a list of possible surgeries (try and get one where they do meds and x-rays at the same place) and it would be good to book an appointment early (maybe 4 weeks from now as these are often booked up weeks in advance) - our visas came through only 2 weeks after our meds.

Actually you will only need X-rays and your little one a medical (take your red/green/blue book along as they'll have to check for injections). You'll need also to take your passports 1 recent picture of all of you and various other stuff which they'll inform you of.

The kids and I will be following Chris when we're more ready and hopefully have sold the house. It'll also give him time to get to know his job, find us somewhere to live, get a car, etc.

We're selling as we can't cover the mortgage with the rent (let alone any damage done, repairs to anything that breaks down, agency fees, etc) plus our house was just done up so it's at its peak value right now - wish we could rent it would be nice to know we could come home if we needed to but I guess that would take the commitment out of it.

We're taking all our electrical stuff with us because it wouldn't sell for much but would cost a lot to replace. We need a certificate to show our fridge doesn't contain cfc's etc. We're also taking gas range cooker and gas barbecue (apparently they can be converted when we're there).

Don't take any feather duvets or pillows, any wicker or woven boxes, any garden furniture or equipment that can't be completely cleaned and doused with Jays? fluid to ensure we don't bring any foreign germs in. Remember to clean bikes and boots too.

Shipping costs seem to be anything from £1k for a few boxes taken to the docks yourself to £6 or £7k for a 40 ft container which they pack up for you and unpack at the other end (40 ft is enough for a large 5 bed (doubles), 5 sofas, range cooker, kitchen white goods, two lots of lounge furniture, 2 studies and a heap of cuddly toys. People taking a whole house full normally need a 20ft (different heights) which should be less than £3k (I think but check the removal threads).

Shipping with the majors (crown, john mason, pss) seems to take around 8 - 10 weeks.

It's not recommended that you take your car as their's tons of duty and cleaning required - unfortunately cars over there are quite a bit more expensive and there is additional tax (stamp duty) to pay too.

The only location you've mentioned which I know of is Berwick which is supposed to be very modern & seems on the surface very good value - I've been discouraged from going there by my brother-in-law who lives in Box Hill but I can't quite work out why.

Hope this helps for now and good luck.

Carolyn

PS. When you're reading the site lol means laughing out loud (took me ages to ask)
Old Apr 27th 2005, 5:29 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

The areas you mention are all ok Rick, my choice out of them would be Berwick.

Carolyn I'm not sure why someones putting you off Berwick for Box Hill, I'd choose Berwick anyday over Box Hill.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bordy
The areas you mention are all ok Rick, my choice out of them would be Berwick.

Carolyn I'm not sure why someones putting you off Berwick for Box Hill, I'd choose Berwick anyday over Box Hill.
Hi

I'm not sure either but they don't think we should go to Box Hill either - they're recommending places like Black Rock and Glen Waveryley - any contributions welcome.

Carolyn
Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:31 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by flip
Hi

I'm not sure either but they don't think we should go to Box Hill either - they're recommending places like Black Rock and Glen Waveryley - any contributions welcome.

Carolyn
Mornington, Mount Martha, Mount Eliza, Torquay, Hampton,Anglesea, Ocean Grove & Many more.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bordy
Mornington, Mount Martha, Mount Eliza, Torquay, Hampton,Anglesea, Ocean Grove & Many more.
Fancy loads of those - unfortunately have to be 1/2 hour from CBD. Ocean Grove does look fabulous though doesn't it.

Carolyn
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: A few queries b4 our sudden departure to OZ!?

Most big companies are more generous with LAHA than that...my company allows about 1000 dollars per month.
Depends where you will work/want to live but the places your colleague has mentioned are a long way out. If you want to enjoy Melbourne life, go for somewhere a bit closer- Glen Waverley is nice, so is Hawthorn, and Elwood, Elsternwick (expensive) amongst others.

I decided not to sell before heading off, and renting out has been fine- just have to complete nasty IR self assessment tax form each year. And if you plan to go back to UK after 4 years, it is easier to have a base to return to and of course you are still in the market. Just get a good letting agent (ask friends for recommendations) and a tax accountant (ours charges about 120 pounds to complete a tax return) .

Good luck_ Melbourne is great place to live!