Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A few last minute questions.........

A few last minute questions.........

Old Mar 14th 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all
Default A few last minute questions.........

Hi All,
We leave the Uk for Perth on the 10th of April, the shippers arrive on the 30th
of March, I am now at the 'crying for no reason, am I doing the right thing?' stage
Anyways, I thought I'd better sort out all my paperwork, I have a bin bag full of old paperwork from accounts that I've closed, bank statements, insurance policies, etc. I am now starting to panic that I might need some of them before I burn them. Are there any that I should keep?
I have kept mortgage statements (how many months or years do I need?), bank statements from live accounts, end year tax statements, all papers from ongoing stuff like pensions, car insurance no claims statement and will be taking this in my luggage.
It just seems really weird to be getting rid of all my neatly filed documents, so final! Oh, no I'm going to cry again!

Second question is: Is it worth bringing a pressure washer with the water restrictions? We loaned ours to a friend who broke it and hasn't offered to replace it (I know!) so is it worth buying one to take with us? I have looked at some in Oz and they are much more expensive than here (well with the present exchange rate )

Thank you in anticipation of your wisdom! x
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:01 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Default Re: A few last minute questions.........

hi there flixy. tough time for you at the moment... we kept 18 months worth of paperwork- the bank statements, mortgage stuff and current insurances etc and yes i would bring a jet wash with you- we did that too- they are very useful for a ton of stuff here and they can be used without too much agg.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:08 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flixy
Hi All,
of March, I am now at the 'crying for no reason, am I doing the right thing?' stage
Anyways, I thought I'd better sort out all my paperwork, I have a bin bag full of old paperwork from accounts that I've closed, bank statements, insurance policies, etc. I am now starting to panic that I might need some of them before I burn them. Are there any that I should keep?
I have kept mortgage statements (how many months or years do I need?), bank statements from live accounts, end year tax statements, all papers from ongoing stuff like pensions, car insurance no claims statement and will be taking this in my luggage.
It just seems really weird to be getting rid of all my neatly filed documents, so final! Oh, no I'm going to cry again!

Second question is: Is it worth bringing a pressure washer with the water restrictions? We loaned ours to a friend who broke it and hasn't offered to replace it (I know!) so is it worth buying one to take with us? I have looked at some in Oz and they are much more expensive than here (well with the present exchange rate )

Regarding paperwork: If you're arranging a container I would say if in doubt, take it.

We're also thinking about the exchange rate and buying and shipping everything that we're likely to need.

Good luck with your move
Old Mar 16th 2010, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Agree with poster that said if in doubt take it.

We needed a few bits for driving license etc, it's always had to have copies of stuff. Doubt there is any need to keep to many years worth as they can always contact banks etc for history if needed.

Mostly what we needed was the Aussie driving license which is also a photo id, there is documentation you need to get it ie UK driving license (we took paper and card one), proof of address, and another couple of proof of id items such as the medicare card, passport etc

I still have the folder with all the photocopies I did, mainly unused but still felt better having them and you may need them for mortgage/rental etc

Good luck with move and enjoy it
Old Mar 17th 2010, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all

Thanks everyone!
I didn't think that I would need my old credit card statements, but they were in the box of stuff that I was going to burn after checking on here. Lucky for me that I had kept them because I was reading my flight details and remembered that I had to show the card that I had booked with, I have recently recieved a new card with a different card number on it, so I emailed Singapore airlines and they said that I should bring the statement that has the payment on it.......phew!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Flixy
Hi All,

Hi Flixy,
you are going to beat us to Oz by just a couple of weeks.
I know what you mean about all the paperwork and other crap to sort out, I keep asking myself why I am giving up a great job, house etc but also saying it's going to be a great adventure.

Johnnyyt
Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
Hi Flixy,
you are going to beat us to Oz by just a couple of weeks.
I know what you mean about all the paperwork and other crap to sort out, I keep asking myself why I am giving up a great job, house etc but also saying it's going to be a great adventure.

Johnnyyt
I woke up this morning and said the same to Martin, only I am still trying to convince myself about the adventure!