Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A few (inane) observations to date

A few (inane) observations to date

Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:58 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default A few (inane) observations to date

Here are some inane observations on our first few months in Oz (Melbourne)

Paint is bloody expensive. About $40 for a 4l tin of white.

Bunnings Warehouse is so much more than B&Q. Though we have been given a trade catalogue for Mitre 10 where we can get stuff cheaper.

When buying stuff like furniture and cars always barter. Also check that the price includes delivery.

They are a bargain mad culture. We have fallen victim to the studying of the junk mail that comes with the freebie papers. Each week theres loads of brochures from the likes of KMART BIG W Target etc. They are a great way of getting a feel for how much stuff costs.

You must read the Trading Post. Its a huge loot style paper that sells everything.

Men if your wifes a shopaholic then you can get everything you need (Except food) in KMART or Target. Job done no need to go elsewhere. Yeah yeah I know it won't work will it?!!!!

Coming to Oz I would have expected some fantastic cures for bites and stings but the remedies we brought from the UK were better.

The house buying process is much cleaner that the UK one.

We havn't spent as much time as we'd expected to worrying about spiders.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice
Default Re: A few (inane) observations to date

Originally posted by HUP
We havn't spent as much time as we'd expected to worrying about spiders.
There was a documentary on ABCTV last night which said allergic reactions to bulldogs ants (particularly the Tasmanian ones) are an even bigger killer.

So now you can start worrying about them.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:39 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a snob and would not touch k-mart or target clothes. Artificial fibres and humidity do not mix.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add to the observations - when opening a bank account DON'T get a cheque book - if you do you will be charged a state gov tax on every transaction starting at 30c for transactions between $1 -$100.

Caught me out for a while, cheque book facility now cancelled as I feel I've given the ictorian gov more than my fair share of stamp duty etc since I arrived.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:00 am
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom
I'm a snob and would not touch k-mart or target clothes. Artificial fibres and humidity do not mix.
you are a snob!

Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:06 am

Originally posted by welshboybilly
you are a snob!

I did go all out and buy some $9 thongs from k-mart but they got knicked at the beach. This time I went down market and spent $3 at the local general store.

Generally k-mart and Target clothing make UK Woolworths look classy. K-mart can be cheaper for a lot of stuff but the quality can be lacking.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:08 am
WBB

I did go all out and buy some $9 thongs from k-mart but they got knicked at the beach. This time I went down market and spent $3 at the local general store.

Generally k-mart and Target clothing make UK Woolworths look classy. K-mart can be cheaper for a lot of stuff but the quality can be lacking.

that's fair enough, but why would somebody pinch your thongs?

:scared:

Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by NJFOZ
Just to add to the observations - when opening a bank account DON'T get a cheque book - if you do you will be charged a state gov tax on every transaction starting at 30c for transactions between $1 -$100.

Caught me out for a while, cheque book facility now cancelled as I feel I've given the ictorian gov more than my fair share of stamp duty etc since I arrived.
I think you might find this tax was repealed when the GST came it. It was/is a state tax so your kilometage may vary.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Banksia
I think you might find this tax was repealed when the GST came it. It was/is a state tax so your kilometage may vary.
This snippet from WA Government
Section 16 of the Business Tax Review Assessment Act 2003 will abolish Stamp Duty on cheques from 1 January 2004.

However, where a cheque book is issued by a financial institution to a customer, or agent, prior to 1 January 2004, Stamp Duty will be payable on the cheques in the book, whether or not that cheque is drawn after the commencement date.

If a cheque book is printed by the financial institution but not issued to a customer until after 1 January 2004, then no Stamp Duty will be payable on the cheques in the book.

Not sure about other states. I stopped using my cheque book due to high bank charges on the cheques used.

PS: QLD charges Duty on Credit Card Purchases, (only $4.00 on $1991 spent), but NSW doesn't.

Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

------------------------------
Coles were doing 2 pairs of thongs for $3 so we snapped em up.
Now then for a bloke I agree that supermarket clothes are pretty naff but apart from the usual surf names is there anywhere else to get blokes clothes? I think Target women and kids clothes aren't too bad, I try to look in the factroy shops and pick up things a bit cheaper.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:26 am

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Now then for a bloke I agree that supermarket clothes are pretty naff but apart from the usual surf names is there anywhere else to get blokes clothes? I think Target women and kids clothes aren't too bad, I try to look in the factroy shops and pick up things a bit cheaper.
It is tough for us blokes. I spent 400 GBP on my trip back to the UK last month. The choice is either polyester, surf branded gear or pricey brand names. Most of the surf gear is not even designed for surfing. Most of the supposed surf shops have couple of wetties and boards for pretence.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by DianeOZ
"Rivers", do they have them there? decent shorts and shirts for blokes who want to look a bit better than a singlet and stubbies.
But still have to be casual enough or people stare (like they do in QLD) if you look nice.

Girls, if your small and like feminine stuff, look at the "Basque" range in a big Myer store. Really pretty stuff, very french looking somehow but casual at the same time. Hard to describe. Just got a 50's style sundress, and a beaded thing that everyone in London thought was a collette dinnigan (like as if I would pay 2 grand for a dress ) Prices from $40.00 to $190.00 for a really well cut jacket or evening type dress. Plus Myer often chops off 30%.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

[couple of wetties and boards for pretence. [/QUOTE]

LOL - very true, all strategically placed to enhance the ambience
Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:38 am
Merlot

Originally posted by NJFOZ

Ozzies don't seem to use cheques as much as they do in the UK.

Last edited by Merlot; Jan 12th 2004 at 3:42 am.

Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:38 am

For you ladies there are rumours Mango is going to open a store in the new Westfields at Bondi Junction and another in Melbourne. The mrs would think all her Xmasses have arrived if Zara arrives as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.