Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fees from customs when your personal effect arrive?

Fees from customs when your personal effect arrive?

Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

cazw1405 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fees from customs when your personal effect arrive?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would care to share their experience regarding customs, quarrantine examination fees, container cleaning charges? I have had quotes from 3 removal companies 2 don't include these fees the other (Crown) does include these which of course means their quote is the highest.

I am just really curious if its worth spending the extra £414.00 with Crown or going with the cheaper quote (John Masons) and paying the fees myself when we get our stuff? Anyone got any advice on this? I would really appreciate it.

Caz x

ps The only thing I think they would be interested in is 2 bikes.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fees from customs when your personal effect arrive?

Any UK shipper who gives you a quote for AQIS is talking out of their backside and possibly taking you for a ride. No one has any idea how much they will open, inspect etc and if there is stuff for cleaning they will ask you first if you want it cleaned or distroyed.

We were charged by our shippers this end - Wridgways do the Brissie end for John Mason for clearing customs which I think from memory - Dec 2005 - was about $220. We had no other charges.

Providing your bikes are as clean as with no mud or organic material on and smell of WD40 they will likely get through no problem.

We had never heard of container cleaning fees until long after we were here and I read it on BE. It seems to be total luck of the drawer but if the container turns up at your place and looks a mess, I'd request another one and explain you don't want to be lumbered with their cleaning costs. If they then say you won't, you say you know you won't, you'll have a clean container to start with.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Any UK shipper who gives you a quote for AQIS is talking out of their backside and possibly taking you for a ride. No one has any idea how much they will open, inspect etc and if there is stuff for cleaning they will ask you first if you want it cleaned or distroyed.

We were charged by our shippers this end - Wridgways do the Brissie end for John Mason for clearing customs which I think from memory - Dec 2005 - was about $220. We had no other charges.

Providing your bikes are as clean as with no mud or organic material on and smell of WD40 they will likely get through no problem.

We had never heard of container cleaning fees until long after we were here and I read it on BE. It seems to be total luck of the drawer but if the container turns up at your place and looks a mess, I'd request another one and explain you don't want to be lumbered with their cleaning costs. If they then say you won't, you say you know you won't, you'll have a clean container to start with.
Thanks Moneypen

Thats made my mind up! I have been umming and ahhhhing over this for days and OH just keeps saying "its up to you, whatever you think is best!"AHHHHH:curse:

When you look at the differnce between the quotes £414 is $861 so John Masons it is!

Thanks again

Caz x
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

PC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nice

I second that.

I remember on the first trip over here as soon-to-be residents. We were overweight on our double luggage allowance with Singapore Airlines, so we had a couple of suitcases sent out after us. We had to collect them from customs about three weeks later (!), where they were each opened in front of us. Inside one was a small wooden gift - actually it was a small wooden gift that had been sent to us from Australia, so we were simply returning it to its homeland. The gift caused a concern, but passed a visual test. A few other, practically worthless suitcase items also caught their eye and we were offered a cleaning bill or quick disposal (foc), so we opted for the latter.

I did have to pay import duty on some secondhand car spares I brought in with me before any of our shipping load was released.

Paul.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PC Pom
I second that.

I remember on the first trip over here as soon-to-be residents. We were overweight on our double luggage allowance with Singapore Airlines, so we had a couple of suitcases sent out after us. We had to collect them from customs about three weeks later (!), where they were each opened in front of us. Inside one was a small wooden gift - actually it was a small wooden gift that had been sent to us from Australia, so we were simply returning it to its homeland. The gift caused a concern, but passed a visual test. A few other, practically worthless suitcase items also caught their eye and we were offered a cleaning bill or quick disposal (foc), so we opted for the latter.

I did have to pay import duty on some secondhand car spares I brought in with me before any of our shipping load was released.

Paul.

Thanks Paul,

I appreciate your reply, its such a minefield with them all vying for your business I was not sure what to think! Glad I posted this now!

Caz
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
RUBBISH

We shipped with Davis Turner and their fee included the AQIS inspection - even though the shipping agent in Oz initially tried to charge for it. Yes they were expensive, but company was paying.

Obviously if it had required cleaning etc this would have been extra.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
RUBBISH

We shipped with Davis Turner and their fee included the AQIS inspection - even though the shipping agent in Oz initially tried to charge for it. Yes they were expensive, but company was paying.

Obviously if it had required cleaning etc this would have been extra.
We have just had a quote from Dorre bonner. They do not charge an AQIS inspection fee upfront as they don't know if our container will be opened. If it will be inspected when it gets there then they will call and tell us the fee, which we can pay in $AUD or UK£. Another company included these fees in the quote, needless to say we will not be using them. Why pay up front for something that may not happen?
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMRE
We have just had a quote from Dorre bonner. They do not charge an AQIS inspection fee upfront as they don't know if our container will be opened. If it will be inspected when it gets there then they will call and tell us the fee, which we can pay in $AUD or UK£. Another company included these fees in the quote, needless to say we will not be using them. Why pay up front for something that may not happen?
Again, I think that's not quite right.

I understand that all containers arriving in Oz incur an AQIS clearing charge....which most UK companies leave out of their quote to make it appear 'cheaper', but you then have to pay it to the local agent here in Oz.

This fee includes the inspection and OPENING any items that they feel like.

Generally your container is unpacked bit by bit, passed in front of an AQIS inspector and then repacked in to another container. As things pass his eys, he decides what we wants to open, also taking account of how items are descibed on the packing list.

This is quite separate to the charge that they will make if they sunsequently find that things need to be cleaned or dispossed of.

Because my company was paying, it was much better to have the AQIS charge as part of the single bill from the UK shippers - rather than having to make a separate payment later. But each to their own, I guess.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Again, I think that's not quite right.

I understand that all containers arriving in Oz incur an AQIS clearing charge....which most UK companies leave out of their quote to make it appear 'cheaper', but you then have to pay it to the local agent here in Oz.

This fee includes the inspection and OPENING any items that they feel like.

Generally your container is unpacked bit by bit, passed in front of an AQIS inspector and then repacked in to another container. As things pass his eys, he decides what we wants to open, also taking account of how items are descibed on the packing list.

This is quite separate to the charge that they will make if they sunsequently find that things need to be cleaned or dispossed of.

Because my company was paying, it was much better to have the AQIS charge as part of the single bill from the UK shippers - rather than having to make a separate payment later. But each to their own, I guess.
Thanks for all your replies guys, its much appreciated!

Caz
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:38 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Not entirely right, as AQIS and Customs now have a giant Xray that can xray complete containers on the back of a truck. If anything sus is found either on the Xray or mainfest, then they will inspect, or they will randomly pick one and have a look.

15/01/03 - CUSTOMS NEW SHIPPING CONTAINER X-RAY FACILITES

Customs are developing new x-ray facilities in Australians major ports in an effort to combat the movement of illicit drugs and prohibitied imports such as handguns. The facilities will change customs operations on wharves with the capacity to detect smuggled goods in shipping containers included misreported consignments.

The new facilities offer a 20-fold increase in inspections of containers by limiting the physical handling of the goods through not having to unpack containers. It will take ten minutes that in the past took hours or even days - offering rapid,safe and non-intrusive verification of a container's contents.

Customs is committed to determining the impact of the new facilities beginning with an extensive post-implementation review undertaken during each facilities three-month rollout. It will assess performance in terms of the efficiency of the logistics processes, detections, impact to industry and the facilitation of trade and safe-handling practises.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jun 13th 2008 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:50 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Not entirely right, as AQIS and Customs now have a giant Xray that can xray complete containers on the back of a truck. If anything sus is found either on the Xray or mainfest, then they will inspect, or they will randomly pick one and have a look.

Customs are developing new x-ray facilities in Australians major ports in an effort to combat the movement of illicit drugs and prohibitied imports such as handguns. The facilities will change customs operations on wharves with the capacity to detect smuggled goods in shipping containers included misreported consignments.

The new facilities offer a 20-fold increase in inspections of containers by limiting the physical handling of the goods through not having to unpack containers. It will take ten minutes that in the past took hours or even days - offering rapid,safe and non-intrusive verification of a container's contents.

Customs is committed to determining the impact of the new facilities beginning with an extensive post-implementation review undertaken during each facilities three-month rollout. It will assess performance in terms of the efficiency of the logistics processes, detections, impact to industry and the facilitation of trade and safe-handling practises.

This is mainly for general freight, House hold goods are still unloaded into a bond store for inspection by AQIS , who will inform customs if they find any breach s of the B534 form....Customs and AQIS fee,s are now $150 for 1/2 an hour......31 minutes and your up for $300......mm
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:19 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke

This is mainly for general freight, House hold goods are still unloaded into a bond store for inspection by AQIS , who will inform customs if they find any breach s of the B534 form....Customs and AQIS fee,s are now $150 for 1/2 an hour......31 minutes and your up for $300......mm
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mr mover

I thought I was right.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

Can anyone tell me what is the rate for import duty and GST for goods brought in which are less than 12 months old as i have a few items i think i should declare.
Thanks.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

I went with Crown. AQUIS opened at least half my boxes! The fee was included in Crowns quote. They found a number of shoes/trainers that needed cleaning, told me it would be $50 fee to clean them but this delayed my delivery and I needed my furniture. As we hadn't seen the stuff in the container for 8 months as it had been in storage before we left I told them to destroy them rather than clean them. They said it was $50 charge for that too. Never got a bill, never paid the charge! Everything turned up, no damage, the guys where great at both ends I couldn't fault them and would definitely recommend them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.