Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling very very homesick!!!!!

Feeling very very homesick!!!!!

Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

The Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud of
Default Re: Feeling very very homesick!!!!!

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I don't like telling people to get a grip!! i think that is the easy thing to say without considering the facts.
I was told to get a grip/shut it, you'll be fine in 2 years time...but who knows what the future holds. Just live each day as it is, that's all you can do. I have decided to go home as i know i will never settle, but you might, so good luck. Stay strong
Good luck in going home and you are very correct in saying that you know whether you will settle or not and going home doesn't mean you have not tried. It takes a lot of guts to uproot your whole family and try and settle in a different country a million miles away from home.

Thank you for your comments
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:54 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Reid Family
Thanks everyone for all your comments and support which I have taken all onboard.

After a lot of talking talking and more talking to my other half we have decided to obviously give it more time and see how we all feel in 6 months time. I am about to start a new job so will probably feel better then as well. No-one is holding a gun to our head saying we have to stay and we did know that we would have good and bad times that is life after all!!!!

My father and mother-in-law are coming over for a visit in September and my sister is coming over this xmas so it will be good to see them as well.

Thanks everyone for giving me a good slap and telling me to get a grip lol

Cheers xx
good decision see how you feel after you've been working for a while it might be a whole different ball game.

Good luck
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I think it took us a good two years to start to feel like living here was "normal". After 2 and a half years we moved house and that was such an upheaval, it gave us all something totally different to focus on and by the end of 3 years here, we felt really settled. We went back to the UK for a visit and on the return flight, when we flew back over Perth and saw the lovely blue skies, it felt like we were "coming home" and we knew we had made the right decision. Now we've been here 5 years, I have to actually remind myself at times that we used to live in the UK!

Reading through other people's experiences with their children, we count ourselves lucky that we had no major dramas with ours. They were upset when they said goodbye to everyone at the airport, but then they were excited to live with my sister and get to know her, they were excited (and a little nervous) about their new school and they were keen to join after school clubs, which helped widen their circle of friends tremendously. We've always focussed on the positives and acted excited for them as they faced new challenges, 'cos if they thought mum and dad were worried about something they would surely be scared too?

BTW, where is Springfield Lakes?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

fific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to all

Hey I love this - as I realise I have just entered the valley of despondency looking forward to the plateau of realisation any coping strategies for the valley period?

Originally Posted by spartacus
Xmas is a really hard time of year for most people. No matter where you are in the world your thoughts drift to those who are no longer with you, for whatever reason, and I’d imagine that there’s not many on this forum who haven’t felt a pang of homesickness over the last month, so you’re not alone.

Kids are really sensitive. They pick up on how those around them feel and take those feelings on for themselves, which in turn you pick up on, and so it becomes a bit of a vicious circle. I guess to get out of the cycle something will have to change. You can sit waiting for a change to pass in front of you, and you could be sitting for some time, or you can take matters into your own hands and seek out a change. Opportunities pass us by everyday.

I’ve been lucky so far and not suffered from the dreaded homesickness since we landed in May, but know from having lived abroad previously that it can creep up on you at any time. Looking back, for me there seemed to be three phases; six months of wow isn’t this new place great (the mountain of unrealistic expectations), followed by six months of s**t isn’t this new place crap (the valley of despondency), finally followed by a much more comfortable period (the plateau of realisation). I don’t know whether that makes much sense.

Can you remember when you were 'loving it in beautiful Springfield Lakes'?