Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling very very homesick!!!!!

Feeling very very homesick!!!!!

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:54 pm

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice
Default Re: Feeling very very homesick!!!!!

Originally Posted by The Reid Family
Thanks I have suggested that to my other half as well that we move to another part and see if she settles any easier. Might be worth a try before we make any life changing decisions like going back home
i STRONGLY suggest you try other options before you go back to the uk. my husband suggested we move to another area/change schools/whatever before we hotfooted it back to the uk and not a day goes by when i wish i had listened to him. we lost a fortune going back and forth and basically are flat broke now!!

seriously, what have you got to lose?? a new school uniform is a hell of a lot cheaper than ping ponging mate
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
But why do you need to get a grip? if you are feeling this bad then its not a better life, life is too short mate.
Hi Possums - how's it going?
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

val and mick is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont worry about being so homesick as its only natural, we are here almost three yrs and its the worst festive time for homesickness yet, mainly due to the weather. Generally Xmas in brisbane is so different from home with the heat and the beach lifestyle it is easy to remember why we came out. while its good to see the rain it does limit what you can do and tends to leave you thinking of home. Things will get easier when life begins again with your daughter returning to school and you starting work. Things will get better, life here is never the same as home but it will be worth it in the end.
you can pm me if you like and we can have a coffee
good luck
Val
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Sunny Devon is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is perfectly normal to feel like this when you have just spent your first christmas away from all your family and friends and I knew it would be really hard - I just didn't realise I would find it so difficult!!!!

I keep telling myself to get a grip and pick myself up and get on with it after all I made the decision to try and make a better life for me and my family over here - but still I miss so much at home!!!!

My husband has a good job over here and I have got a new job to start in February but I still can't get myself motivated!! My 11 year old girl cries almost every day that she wants to go home - she misses all her friends and family at home - it breaks my heart to see her so miserable.

I know I have to give it a bit more time after all we have only been here for 7 months. I just wish I could get over this dark mood I have at the moment

Come on people tell me to get a grip and cheer me up please please
Hi homesickness is just what it says - it is a sickness!! It is that time of year that is generally associated with family and friends, the weather is 'shocking' for the sunshine coast - but hey we have still got our shorts and tee shirts on which we WOULD not be wearing in the UK at this time of year. Have been here 12 weeks - could do with some sun but hey it will return eventually We left our family and friends in Devon and moved to Scotland with OH job before putting in for our visas - kids were not happy with the first move cant say I was overlly impressed in fact if someone had given me a magic wand to take me back to Devon we would have gone - that obviously didnt happen and guess what things did get better and we were happy enough, The kids have adjusted again and have setteled into school and the clubs etc really well as we all have. You have done the really hard bit take one day at a time you will all get there.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:25 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is perfectly normal to feel like this when you have just spent your first christmas away from all your family and friends and I knew it would be really hard - I just didn't realise I would find it so difficult!!!!

I keep telling myself to get a grip and pick myself up and get on with it after all I made the decision to try and make a better life for me and my family over here - but still I miss so much at home!!!!

My husband has a good job over here and I have got a new job to start in February but I still can't get myself motivated!! My 11 year old girl cries almost every day that she wants to go home - she misses all her friends and family at home - it breaks my heart to see her so miserable.

I know I have to give it a bit more time after all we have only been here for 7 months. I just wish I could get over this dark mood I have at the moment

SSSLLLLAAAAPPPPPPP Get a grip wummin.....things will get better mate hang in there
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:27 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Hi Possums - how's it going?
Hello mate good thank you, hows you? hey I got Sheffield Edition Monopoly for xmas

sorry Reid family just a lil hyjack
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Get a grip!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:10 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly how you're feeling. We've been here 18 months now and it's been a rollercoaster of emotions. My 10 year old still has his moments (he cried for 6 weeks solid, day and night and then every other night for a while after that!) but feels more settled here now. My 6 year old is a different story and still says when are we going home! We had a good life in the UK but have an ok life here. Money tight etc but that's life. I definately feel talking about it helps. It irons out all the creases and helps you see more clearly. Sometimes writing a pro's and con's list helps as does looking into where you're living and considering other places. We had though about Melbourne (well I have lately but the cost of buying a house there is more than here so stuck here for a while yet).

Hope you're feeling a bit better oh and just about forgot....

Get a grip wumman

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Xmas is a really hard time of year for most people. No matter where you are in the world your thoughts drift to those who are no longer with you, for whatever reason, and I’d imagine that there’s not many on this forum who haven’t felt a pang of homesickness over the last month, so you’re not alone.

Kids are really sensitive. They pick up on how those around them feel and take those feelings on for themselves, which in turn you pick up on, and so it becomes a bit of a vicious circle. I guess to get out of the cycle something will have to change. You can sit waiting for a change to pass in front of you, and you could be sitting for some time, or you can take matters into your own hands and seek out a change. Opportunities pass us by everyday.

I’ve been lucky so far and not suffered from the dreaded homesickness since we landed in May, but know from having lived abroad previously that it can creep up on you at any time. Looking back, for me there seemed to be three phases; six months of wow isn’t this new place great (the mountain of unrealistic expectations), followed by six months of s**t isn’t this new place crap (the valley of despondency), finally followed by a much more comfortable period (the plateau of realisation). I don’t know whether that makes much sense.

Can you remember when you were 'loving it in beautiful Springfield Lakes'?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:24 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Xmas is a really hard time of year for most people. No matter where you are in the world your thoughts drift to those who are no longer with you, for whatever reason, and I’d imagine that there’s not many on this forum who haven’t felt a pang of homesickness over the last month, so you’re not alone.

Kids are really sensitive. They pick up on how those around them feel and take those feelings on for themselves, which in turn you pick up on, and so it becomes a bit of a vicious circle. I guess to get out of the cycle something will have to change. You can sit waiting for a change to pass in front of you, and you could be sitting for some time, or you can take matters into your own hands and seek out a change. Opportunities pass us by everyday.

I’ve been lucky so far and not suffered from the dreaded homesickness since we landed in May, but know from having lived abroad previously that it can creep up on you at any time. Looking back, for me there seemed to be three phases; six months of wow isn’t this new place great (the mountain of unrealistic expectations), followed by six months of s**t isn’t this new place crap (the valley of despondency), finally followed by a much more comfortable period (the plateau of realisation). I don’t know whether that makes much sense.

Can you remember when you were 'loving it in beautiful Springfield Lakes'?
there is also culture shock

http://www.doctortravel.ca/tips/culture_shock/

though again I dont know how you know if your suffering or not?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
there is also culture shock

http://www.doctortravel.ca/tips/culture_shock/

though again I dont know how you know if your suffering or not?
In my experience, only in retrospect, which is no use to anybody. But I suppose it does mean that you can project youself six months into the future and expect not to be feeling the way you are now, which is a good little skill to have.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not read all the replies (sorry people) but I would imagine that part of your daughter's problem with settling is because she sees her mother struggling and therefore assumes there is stuff to worry about. It's very hard because they pic up stuff that you think you're hiding so get her out joining clubs, maybe change schools if you've not been here long and without meaning to be rude, spending less free time with you. That sounds terrible but I think you could be feeding each other bad vibes.

Hope your sister gets well soon.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the hug icon when you need it? Anyway {{{{hugs}}}}

It will probably all turn out alright you know but you will go up and down until you suddenly find that the gaps between the down days get further and further apart.

Your daughter will probably feel quite differently when she goes to High School - I wouldnt suggest moving her to another school just now because she will be going to HS in the reasonably near future. When she starts HS she will be making the change with all the other kids and they will all be in the same boat and be making new friends at the same time. As it is, breaking into a year 5 or 6 group of girls is hell on earth for some kids - those cliquey girl groups can be very destructive. It may be worth talking to the school to see if they can do something to help in the meantime. She will probably discover before too long that her UK friends just sort of close over the hole that she has left behind and before long they wont be bothering to communicate - they too will be dealing with new HS dynamics in the near future.

As for you - what Sas said - count your blessings as a matter of course, make a list of them, add to it and develop a positive self talk mantra - get yourself a positive outlook phrase that you repeat to yourself on the hour or whenever you look in the mirror etc. Basically, fake it til you make it that you feel good here! (It sounds corny but it works). Keep a journal of what is happening to you and then you will be able to see how things improve over time. As others have said, the kids will pick up whatever you are feeling and that will be a vicious circle!

If you still feel the same way in a prescribed time - say 2 or 3 years then rethink what you are doing and make a decision then about whether you stay or whether you go. Talk about it with your DH and see how he feels.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

The Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone for all your comments and support which I have taken all onboard.

After a lot of talking talking and more talking to my other half we have decided to obviously give it more time and see how we all feel in 6 months time. I am about to start a new job so will probably feel better then as well. No-one is holding a gun to our head saying we have to stay and we did know that we would have good and bad times that is life after all!!!!

My father and mother-in-law are coming over for a visit in September and my sister is coming over this xmas so it will be good to see them as well.

Thanks everyone for giving me a good slap and telling me to get a grip lol

Cheers xx
Old Jan 5th 2008, 3:33 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thanks everyone for all your comments and support which I have taken all onboard.

After a lot of talking talking and more talking to my other half we have decided to obviously give it more time and see how we all feel in 6 months time. I am about to start a new job so will probably feel better then as well. No-one is holding a gun to our head saying we have to stay and we did know that we would have good and bad times that is life after all!!!!

My father and mother-in-law are coming over for a visit in September and my sister is coming over this xmas so it will be good to see them as well.

Thanks everyone for giving me a good slap and telling me to get a grip lol

Cheers xx
I don't like telling people to get a grip!! i think that is the easy thing to say without considering the facts.
I was told to get a grip/shut it, you'll be fine in 2 years time...but who knows what the future holds. Just live each day as it is, that's all you can do. I have decided to go home as i know i will never settle, but you might, so good luck. Stay strong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.