British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Feeling very very homesick!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/feeling-very-very-homesick-503085/)

The Reid Family Jan 2nd 2008 10:14 pm

Feeling very very homesick!!!!!

I know this is perfectly normal to feel like this when you have just spent your first christmas away from all your family and friends and I knew it would be really hard - I just didn't realise I would find it so difficult!!!!

I keep telling myself to get a grip and pick myself up and get on with it after all I made the decision to try and make a better life for me and my family over here - but still I miss so much at home!!!!

My husband has a good job over here and I have got a new job to start in February but I still can't get myself motivated!! My 11 year old girl cries almost every day that she wants to go home - she misses all her friends and family at home - it breaks my heart to see her so miserable.

I know I have to give it a bit more time after all we have only been here for 7 months. I just wish I could get over this dark mood I have at the moment :(

Come on people tell me to get a grip and cheer me up please please :lol:

Issie Jan 2nd 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Feeling very very homesick!!!!!

Originally Posted by The Reid Family (Post 5731307)
I know this is perfectly normal to feel like this when you have just spent your first christmas away from all your family and friends and I knew it would be really hard - I just didn't realise I would find it so difficult!!!!

I keep telling myself to get a grip and pick myself up and get on with it after all I made the decision to try and make a better life for me and my family over here - but still I miss so much at home!!!!

My husband has a good job over here and I have got a new job to start in February but I still can't get myself motivated!! My 11 year old girl cries almost every day that she wants to go home - she misses all her friends and family at home - it breaks my heart to see her so miserable.

I know I have to give it a bit more time after all we have only been here for 7 months. I just wish I could get over this dark mood I have at the moment :(

I am not there yet but form what i have read on here you are going through a very normal phase, whether you can come through it only time will tell. It must be very hard to see your daughter upset and i know for sure i would be devasted to see my little girl upset. Try to occupy yourself as much as you can. Have some nice girly days out with your daughter and hopefully the thought of home may slip to the back of your mind for a little while anyway.

Keep strong...keep positive ((((( Hugs )))))

The Reid Family Jan 2nd 2008 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Issie (Post 5731324)
I am not there yet but form what i have read on here you are going through a very normal phase, whether you can come through it only time will tell. It must be very hard to see your daughter upset and i know for sure i would be devasted to see my little girl upset. Try to occupy yourself as much as you can. Have some nice girly days out with your daughter and hopefully the thought of home may slip to the back of your mind for a little while anyway.

Keep strong...keep positive ((((( Hugs )))))

Thank you for that I feel better already :)

Possums Jan 2nd 2008 10:24 pm

But why do you need to get a grip? if you are feeling this bad then its not a better life, life is too short mate. :)

sasbear Jan 2nd 2008 10:28 pm

It is just a black mood - come on - everything is going to work out.

What I do when I get black moods (never one to go back to UK though) I count my blessings. It really works - look at what I have and what other people have suffered. Makes you realise how lucky you are.

chin up and hugsxx

asher Jan 2nd 2008 10:29 pm

Missing family at certain times is unavoidable but you have to keep positive and make new friends and keep busy and it will pass!

Although i have not been in Oz long I have lived abroad a lot and was abroad for the birth of my first son and missed my family badly.

Good friends can become as close as family in some ways, It will be better when you are at work and busier.

As to your daughter she must have too much time on her hands enrol her in more clubs!;)
sending (((((HUGS))))

The Reid Family Jan 2nd 2008 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Possums (Post 5731344)
But why do you need to get a grip? if you are feeling this bad then its not a better life, life is too short mate. :)

Yeah i agree life is too short you just dont know what is round the corner for you do you and it is probably a good job in some cases.

I suppose it doesn't help when you find out your big sis is really not well:(

The Reid Family Jan 2nd 2008 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by sasbear (Post 5731362)
It is just a black mood - come on - everything is going to work out.

What I do when I get black moods (never one to go back to UK though) I count my blessings. It really works - look at what I have and what other people have suffered. Makes you realise how lucky you are.

chin up and hugsxx

Thank you :)

The Reid Family Jan 2nd 2008 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by asher (Post 5731363)
Missing family at certain times is unavoidable but you have to keep positive and make new friends and keep busy and it will pass!

Although i have not been in Oz long I have lived abroad a lot and was abroad for the birth of my first son and missed my family badly.

Good friends can become as close as family in some ways, It will be better when you are at work and busier.

As to your daughter she must have too much time on her hands enrol her in more clubs!;)
sending (((((HUGS))))

Thanks for your comments they are very much appreciated and very true :)

Possums Jan 2nd 2008 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by The Reid Family (Post 5731380)
Yeah i agree life is too short you just dont know what is round the corner for you do you and it is probably a good job in some cases.

I suppose it doesn't help when you find out your big sis is really not well:(

I know lots of people will come on and say oh it''ll get better and all that and yep it might but sometimes you just know if its not going to, you know what I mean.

good luck in whatever you decide and hope your sis is better soon :)

jackass Jan 2nd 2008 10:43 pm

You sound just like i did the first time round. I couldnt hack it at all and my eldest daughter was 11 at the time so i thought sod it and went back to the uk. to cut a long story short, we came back to oz but tried a new area and are now as happy as. so, maybe a change of school is in order as that is why my daughter was so unhappy. she wouldnt go back to the uk now if you paid her!!! she loves it here and she totaly loves her new school. you just need to tweak things a bit and it may make things 100% better.

when i was miserable the only answer i came up with was going back to uk which was pretty short sighted to say the least :o but there are other options ;)

good luck kiddo :)

The Reid Family Jan 2nd 2008 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Possums (Post 5731395)
I know lots of people will come on and say oh it''ll get better and all that and yep it might but sometimes you just know if its not going to, you know what I mean.

good luck in whatever you decide and hope your sis is better soon :)

Did you read my mind lol That is exactly what I tell myself every day it will get better you will feel more settled everything will be fine and then I find myself laughing and saying WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO CONVINCE lol

Sometimes it is better to have tried it and didn't like it than to sit around all your life wondering WHAT IF.

Thanks for your comments - very much appreciated xxx

The Reid Family Jan 2nd 2008 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by jackass (Post 5731409)
You sound just like i did the first time round. I couldnt hack it at all and my eldest daughter was 11 at the time so i thought sod it and went back to the uk. to cut a long story short, we came back to oz but tried a new area and are now as happy as. so, maybe a change of school is in order as that is why my daughter was so unhappy. she wouldnt go back to the uk now if you paid her!!! she loves it here and she totaly loves her new school. you just need to tweak things a bit and it may make things 100% better.

when i was miserable the only answer i came up with was going back to uk which was pretty short sighted to say the least :o but there are other options ;)

good luck kiddo :)

Thanks I have suggested that to my other half as well that we move to another part and see if she settles any easier. Might be worth a try before we make any life changing decisions like going back home :rofl:

The BBs Jan 2nd 2008 10:48 pm

Hello to you and so sorry you are feeling down. Like Issie we too are not quite there yet but hope that you and your family can pull through this little temporary hiccup.

Having traveled quite a bit in my time and moved to 3 different countries so far I can vouch for the fact that leaving friends behind, especially for the young ones, is always traumatic but they do get over it in time as of course I did too.

What you are going through is a new challenge which will hopefully open up new avenues for you and your family so in the end I think it will all be worth it. That’s what I am hoping to achieve for my kids too if we ever get out there!

When I was in Brisbane this time last year I met quite a few expats that had been there years and years and when I asked them the question about returning back to the UK they all categorically said NO WAY! Now that’s telling isn’t it? But it takes a bit of time.

If it helps you in any way, the weather here is simply horrible and freezing cold. The skies were gray all day today and tonight the wind threatens to remove some more tiles from the roof! The outlook for the next few days is quite grim! Our cars are all covered in salt and grit and slowly rotting away as a result of it!

Try and take time to explore your surroundings and make friends as soon as possible if you don’t already have some. Part of the process is familiarity and the comfort of having friendly faces around you which I believe Australia is not short of. Alternatively, you always have us here on BE as a shoulder to cry on whenever you need. We can give you “grim” updates on the weather or political situation which will hopefully help you rationalize things.

All the best to you and your family and I will keep my fingers crossed for you that you will all come out of this dark tunnel and into the light very soon.

Very best wishes to you all for a healthy and successful 2008.

The BBs

The Reid Family Jan 2nd 2008 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by The BBs (Post 5731419)
Hello to you and so sorry you are feeling down. Like Issie we too are not quite there yet but hope that you and your family can pull through this little temporary hiccup.

Having traveled quite a bit in my time and moved to 3 different countries so far I can vouch for the fact that leaving friends behind, especially for the young ones, is always traumatic but they do get over it in time as of course I did too.

What you are going through is a new challenge which will hopefully open up new avenues for you and your family so in the end I think it will all be worth it. That’s what I am hoping to achieve for my kids too if we ever get out there!

When I was in Brisbane this time last year I met quite a few expats that had been there years and years and when I asked them the question about returning back to the UK they all categorically said NO WAY! Now that’s telling isn’t it? But it takes a bit of time.

If it helps you in any way, the weather here is simply horrible and freezing cold. The skies were gray all day today and tonight the wind threatens to remove some more tiles from the roof! The outlook for the next few days is quite grim! Our cars are all covered in salt and grit and slowly rotting away as a result of it!

Try and take time to explore your surroundings and make friends as soon as possible if you don’t already have some. Part of the process is familiarity and the comfort of having friendly faces around you which I believe Australia is not short of. Alternatively, you always have us here on BE as a shoulder to cry on whenever you need. We can give you “grim” updates on the weather or political situation which will hopefully help you rationalize things.

All the best to you and your family and I will keep my fingers crossed for you that you will all come out of this dark tunnel and into the light very soon.

Very best wishes to you all for a healthy and successful 2008.

The BBs

Thank you. Hate to tell you this but the weather at the moment over here is not much better. Rain and high winds unfortuantely. I know that if we give it a bit more time that I am sure all will be fine with us all. I suppose the time of year doesn't help and we knew the first few years would be so hard. We have made a lot of nice friends over here and they are a tower of strength to us and that does make a big difference.

Take Care and thank you for your support :)