Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling sad, stressed and a little overwhelmed

Feeling sad, stressed and a little overwhelmed

Old May 20th 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of
Default Feeling sad, stressed and a little overwhelmed

Waiting to exchange today, 6 weeks till we go and am feeling all of the above, are we doing the right thing?
Old May 20th 2008, 2:28 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling sad, stressed and a little overwhelmed

Originally Posted by mickagnew
Waiting to exchange today, 6 weeks till we go and am feeling all of the above, are we doing the right thing?
I can remember the feeling well !!!!!!!!!!!!! It does pass -for me what you are experiencing at the moment was the worse time I ever had during the whole migration process. I was tearful most nights the 6 weeks before leaving. What helped me was the thought that I could always go back Not needed to yet !
Say hello to the family for me and Sean
Old May 20th 2008, 7:03 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's completely normal.
I haven't got the visa yet but I've handed in my notice at work and waiting to complete on the house.
We probably won't go until Christmas but I'm feeling all of those things

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you x
Old May 20th 2008, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

mark2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, mickagnew, am feeling exactly the same, shippers came n took all our stuff todayleaving 3 weeks on sunday. Its like being on a roller coaster 1 minute am really excited next am thinking OH MY GOD but seems to me most people feel the same. After our stuff was gone my voice was echoing through the house n was feeling empty but have felt like this before at times n it always passes
Old May 20th 2008, 8:54 pm

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, sweetie.

Everything will be just fine. You've been through a lot and now you have had the time to actually sit down and think of it - without thinking of what needs to be to get there.

Panic when you get through customs and out the airport doors. Thats when it's going to hit me.
Old May 20th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

no longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cleopatra
Oh, sweetie.

Everything will be just fine. You've been through a lot and now you have had the time to actually sit down and think of it - without thinking of what needs to be to get there.

Panic when you get through customs and out the airport doors. Thats when it's going to hit me.
Remember the feeling well, you will be fine, no doubt some tears are still to follow, but remember your making the move for a better life, and it is out there.

Hx
Old May 21st 2008, 12:44 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

First of all CONGRATULATIONS on getting the house sold!

As to the feelings: Perfectly normal, I'd say. You're leaving behind your home where you've (hopefully) have lived happily and you don't have a new home yet. It would be strange if you didn't feel sad about it, wouldn't it.

And of course you're stressed: There are the logistics of the move and then all the worries about what will happen next etc etc

Be prepared and accept that the next 6 weeks aren't going to be very nice. But it's only six weeks and once you're here in Perth things will get better very rapidly .

I'll PM you our phone number and address so you can get in contact when you're here if you want to.

Take care.

Gina
Old May 21st 2008, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all

I also remember that feeling, when the shippers came i stood in the garden cried for about half an hour, then when we locked the door for the last time the tears came again, i think it is normal to feel that way.
Have a great time with family in your last 6 weeks.
And also it is worth all the stress, sadness and feeling overwhelmed.

Good luck
sam.
Old May 21st 2008, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

jopaul will become famous soon enoughjopaul will become famous soon enough

dont worry lots of us have been there. i remember the shipping company coming on the tuesday and taking lots of stuff and then on the wednesday to collect the rest, and the house just seemed soo empty. but later that night when i locked up it was just a house not my home anymore. and thats what you have to remember your home is where you make it, and the house is just bricks. and when you get here you will make a new home for your family and it will all be worth it.

i was really sad for a while as i had lots of happy memories in my lovely house but i will have new ones in my new home when i eventually find one i like

Jo xxx
Old May 21st 2008, 3:51 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Do you know what worked for me? Denial. Total denial. I busied myself with absolutely anything I could around that time and luckily we were quite late sending stuff so there wasn't too long to sit and worry about it. I looked up places to go when we got here, arranged a meal with a load of friends which took some doing so again, busy. Anything to stop me from sitting and thinking about it as it was too much for my tiny brain to take in I think!

The thing is it doesn't (in general) stop 'sinking in' until you've been here a while, you've got settled and your stuff is here and all where you want it so you have to just keep focused on why you're doing it and deal with it in whatever way you can. I hope that doesn't sound disheartening, I don't mean it to. I just mean you need to figure out a way to stop it getting too much, whether that's denial, or beer........

Try and keep thinking about the adventure side of it, how you'd feel if you didn't give this amazing opportunity a go. It's not for life if you don't want it to be but you'll have an amazing adventure just getting here and seeing how it goes.

Good luck, you're going to love it when you get here and even if for some reason you don't, you'll have taken a chance many don't and that's gotta mean something
Old May 21st 2008, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pinkie
so you have to just keep focused on why you're doing it and deal with it in whatever way you can.
Exactly Right, focus on what you are gaining. Its normal to go through almost a grief proccess at what you are leaving behind.
Try and keep thinking about the adventure side of it, how you'd feel if you didn't give this amazing opportunity a go. It's not for life if you don't want it to be but you'll have an amazing adventure just getting here and seeing how it goes.
Set yourself small targets and keep moving forwards, trust the decisions you made are right and its just being out of the comfort zone thats feeling bad right now...
good luck
Old May 21st 2008, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

We were in your position this time last year. We moved out of our house on 31st May. Yes, after all the planning it is overwhelming in the end - lots to plan and do - but one year on I can say hand on heart it was SO worth it. Good luck
Old May 21st 2008, 6:38 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by achanginglife
Its normal to go through almost a grief proccess at what you are leaving behind.
Definitely, I could identify quite a few of the same feelings thoughout the process although it took me a while to realise why I sometimes felt so down and other times so excited. Like grief, it's not something we necessarily know how to deal with so you find your way and just stick to that whatever happens.

BTW I'm not suggesting denial is the right way for everyone and I'm being a bit tongue in cheek saying it really, it was more just trying to squash the panicky feelings as soon as I felt them start by immediately chucking myself into the next thing on the to do list, and if there was nothing left just making another to do list!

Everything you're feeling is very normal and although unsettling, you'll get through it. Where you headed?
Old May 21st 2008, 6:42 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Life's an adventure, live and learn and enjoy. Wishing all the success
Old May 21st 2008, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Thanks guys

I know all will be good in the end and good luck to others in the same boat at the moment.

Cheeers

Mick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.