Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling sad & lonely at Christmas

Feeling sad & lonely at Christmas

Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:44 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Feeling sad & lonely at Christmas

Well, Christmas always seems to be a bit of an 'odd' time for Expats anyway, but this year I'm feeling particularly lonely
Just found out that the Blokey has to go to Malaysia on Sunday and may or may not be back in time for Christmas.... at the moment he's trying to get on a flight that will bring him home very late on Christmas Eve but doesnt know if he'll make it as its pretty much booked out.
Its like someone else posted the other day, all these songs about "being home at Christmas" & "family festivities" you seem to notice more when you're here. His family all go down the coast this weekend for three weeks as well, so I really am alone!! :scared:

Anyway, just needed to have a little moan because I'm feeling sorry for myself right now...... Thanks for listening
Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Feeling sad & lonely at Christmas

Ooohh you poor thing!!! I really feel for you. No-one should be alone at Christmas.
Catch a flight to Sydney and you can come and get pissed with us!!
Stace

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Well, Christmas always seems to be a bit of an 'odd' time for Expats anyway, but this year I'm feeling particularly lonely
Just found out that the Blokey has to go to Malaysia on Sunday and may or may not be back in time for Christmas.... at the moment he's trying to get on a flight that will bring him home very late on Christmas Eve but doesnt know if he'll make it as its pretty much booked out.
Its like someone else posted the other day, all these songs about "being home at Christmas" & "family festivities" you seem to notice more when you're here. His family all go down the coast this weekend for three weeks as well, so I really am alone!! :scared:

Anyway, just needed to have a little moan because I'm feeling sorry for myself right now...... Thanks for listening
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

fillyjane is on a distinguished road

I know how you are feeling, this is my first time away from my family at Christmas and I am really trying to get into the spirit of things for my kids but it just doesn't feel the same.
You moan away and I hope blokey is back in time for Christmas day !!
If not then like SidneyStace's offer you can always come here and get pissed with us!!! I know I will be having a good drink , that's my attempt at having a "Merry" christmas!!!!

Hope it turns out to be good for you!
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:20 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Awww, Michelle, I know just how you feel. I was away from Aus, me Ma and me mates last Xmas, though did spend it with MrPR's family.

Anyway, you definitely won't be alone; you must come and join us at The Gap if Blokey's not home!

Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:25 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Thanks everyone...... feeling much better already with all these offers floating around. Better be careful though, if he's not back one of you really may end up with an extra person at the table!
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

mlbonner, can't be any where near you this christmas, just wanted you to know that i am thinking of you all the same!!!!

my hubby is miles away too, sometimes feel like a single chick!!! may wake up xmas morn and have to cuddle the neighbour!

from one chick to another, merry xmas babe!

bob xxx
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Feeling sad & lonely at Christmas

I know how you feel. My husband has gone back to UK and won't be back here until Feb. Our stuff being shipped from UK will not arrive until after Christmas, so no christmas tree or decorations this year. I am tempted to buy some more to keep the kids happy, but chances are stuff will arrive on 28 or 29 Dec. I have always had big family christmas times in past in London and when I was growing up in Ireland, so I too am trying to get into the spirit of things for the kids sake, but not really feeling like it. Yesterday I bought a webcam so we can keep in touch, but I think it actually makes it worse seeing people you love, with everything familiar going on.

I don't mean to sound so miserable, because I love it here, but christmas makes it much harder when you are missing someone. I am going to try and get into the spirit of things, helped by a few glasses of wine, and keep cheerful for the kids sake.

Good luck, and you never know your bloke may be back for Christmas.

LOL

Mel
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner

Oh poppet, only just seen your thread. Give me a yell any time you want company, I'm not that far away after all, so if you want a meet one evening, I'm all yours.
Fingers crossed that he can get a flight....
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Willow is an unknown quantity at this point

Weell mlbonner you not the only one who is goin to be feeling sad and lonley i am FMR other half he moved out Perth a week ago and i do not get to be with him till febuary may be march not sure which yet but yes we are going to be apart for xmas and i am starting to feel realy sad and loney even tho i got our son here it not the same with out FMR with us i will smile on xmas coz off our son but inside i will be sad and loney coz i will not be with the man i love dearly sorry for the rambling as well but rember you not on your own there are more like you out there other halfs away over xmas but just think hen you get reunited together the fun you can have thats whats keeping me goin the thought i know we will be together soon

all the best over xmas from willow
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, sorry to see hear you are sad - Christmas is often an 'odd' time - and more so when you life isn't straightforward.

Thinking of you, Cas
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:03 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Thank-you! thank-you! thank-you!

Honeybob, Willow & Melibeam, hope you manage to have a great Christmas in the circumstances... shame we don't all live closer, we could sit in the pool & drink beer together

Polly & Caroline - thanks for your support too My fingers are crossed, trust me!

Its weird, looking out the window here its dark and miserable, very 'english' Christmas at the moment!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:08 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

You could always burn the Christmas tree , that will go down well

I've got Hubby who wants to go home for Christmas here, last minute deciding as usual . I'd like to go home, but again I'm the sensible one, and can not drop everything just like that. I suggest that we make a trip early next year, I don't care that much for Christmas, Whether I see family in Dec or march.. same thing to me. It's people who are important not the day of the year.

So I may be just going home for Christmas at the last minute, who knows. Or may be still here setting light to the deco's lol

Your boyfriend will probably get a flight back, flights are not usually all that busy Christmas eve from Malaysia or Singapore, and the day before Christmas eve. They are not going into Britain anyway ( I've flown one year the day before Christmas eve, landed Christmas eve in the Uk - that flight, Thai airways was empty)/ Most people don't want to fly Christmas eve, they want to fly before that. Plus there are always cancellations on flights ( if it is busy coming this way into Aus) , if he goes to the airport and is prepared to pay for a different flight on another airline he may get lucky

Good luck, do you want any matches ? I've plenty to spare.

cheers
Old Dec 8th 2004, 7:27 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Ceri - we don't have a christmas tree The EX has the one Blokey bought & we've not got round to getting a new one yet (previous years housemate had one, but she moved out in October)..... but I'll have some matches just in case we do hey
Old Dec 8th 2004, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Aww, that's really rotten, hope it all works out for you. Not feeling that Christmassey yet, felt bad when some Aussies I met started going on about Christmas being the time for families etc. and nearly burst into tears as me mum's just been admitted to hospital.
Maybe we could have a cyber Christmas infront of the 'puter...
Big hug
Larissa
Old Dec 8th 2004, 7:55 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Larissa
Aww, that's really rotten, hope it all works out for you. Not feeling that Christmassey yet, felt bad when some Aussies I met started going on about Christmas being the time for families etc. and nearly burst into tears as me mum's just been admitted to hospital.
Maybe we could have a cyber Christmas infront of the 'puter...
Big hug
Larissa

Aw Larissa, I really feel for you. So sorry to hear about your Mum.

This is our first Christmas out here, very odd, I don't feel Christmassy at all, not one little bit. Me and the kids put the tree up and I couldn't face putting the christmas songs on, I'd have been in tears!!

I think I'd rather just let it roll by me this year, make it fun for the kids but I'll just drown myself in the Baileys!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.