Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling rueful after training

Feeling rueful after training

Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:14 am
Badge

Default Feeling rueful after training

At training to night did OK in the fitness, was up the front, one of the fastest blokes.

Then we did some touch. I stuck on my wing, and jesus hardly got the ball. There's all these young fellas whizzing around in midfield performing scissors, the works, I get the ball three times and my normal running skills desert me just when I need to look good. Did OK in defence. Where was the side step, the swerve, the take at speed? My football skills are not that good, compared to my running, but I felt like a real Charlie.

At the end, I was told, hhmmmm....we'll stick you on the bench on the wing, and this new 18 year old 5/8 (first time down) gets told - "you- we'll push you for the State Team".

Bugger. Think I'm getting too old for this - I'm the 2nd oldest bloke in the squad. Still, I always said I would do it to keep fit, and that will keep MrsB happy.

Badge

Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:21 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Feeling rueful after training

Originally posted by badgersmount
At training to night did OK in the fitness, was up the front, one of the fastest blokes.

Then we did some touch. I stuck on my wing, and jesus hardly got the ball. There's all these young fellas whizzing around in midfield performing scissors, the works, I get the ball three times and my normal running skills desert me just when I need to look good. Did OK in defence. Where was the side step, the swerve, the take at speed? My football skills are not that good, compared to my running, but I felt like a real Charlie.

At the end, I was told, hhmmmm....we'll stick you on the bench on the wing, and this new 18 year old 5/8 (first time down) gets told - "you- we'll push you for the State Team".

Bugger. Think I'm getting too old for this - I'm the 2nd oldest bloke in the squad. Still, I always said I would do it to keep fit, and that will keep MrsB happy.

Badge

Badgers, you've dissapointed me, I thought you were the best at everything? Oh well there must be 'the perfect bloke' out there somewhere.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:27 am
Badge

lol. There comes a time in every man's life when he realises that he is over the hill.

Sounds like some famous quote or something.

Have to admit, I have nothing but admiration for Aussie sportsman, its a great club and I think we are going to do well. We're in the 2nd Division, and we're trying to get back in to the 1st.

Badge

And to top it all, my 'Badger's special' which I tried out just looked like a bloody brain explosion.

Last edited by badgersmount; Mar 9th 2004 at 11:29 am.

Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Badgers did they say you were playing like an Ozzie.

Old age, it gets to us all eventually. Time for you to get a zimmer and take it easy.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 12:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well there must be 'the perfect bloke' out there somewhere.
There is Janey, and he's an Aussie, but he's mine!!! (I just let Hevs borrow him occasionally to dance with!)
Old Mar 9th 2004, 1:01 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
At training to night
... yadda yadda ...
and my normal running skills desert me
... yadda yadda ...

My football skills are not that good, compared to my running, but I felt like a real Charlie.
... yadda yadda ...

on the bench
... yadda yadda ...

Think I'm getting too old for this - I'm the 2nd oldest bloke in the squad.
Badge,

I hate to break it to you, but even if you were the most naturally talented Rugby League Player ever you would still probably not shine, because:

a. You have not been playing/learning/practising since you were a kid

b. You are over the hill

Neither of these should detract from the fact that you are there having a go, willing to learn a new game and give it your best shot, so good on yer (as they say around these parts).

Cheers,

DagBoy (further over the hill that you!).

PS. Is the oldest bloke in the squad on the bench too