Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling that it's now not worth the risk

Feeling that it's now not worth the risk

Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Sol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Feeling that it's now not worth the risk

Have you heard of the Olympic Dam project, which was recently shelved in South Australia? They took so many years to prepare for that project but all of a sudden, it was shelved last month.

Interesting to note that the project was shelved because the project managers feel the resources boom has peaked and it wouldn't be cost effective to continue:

The Olympic Dam decision is a symbolic moment in the decline of the resources boom, as it would have been the biggest open cut mine in the world and took seven years of painstaking work through design and approvals.

The decision is a major blow to South Australia, which had expected the Olympic Dam expansion to deliver a huge boost in jobs and a royalty stream of about $350 million a year for decades.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/olymp...822-24mvy.html
Old Sep 16th 2012, 6:12 am
Just Joined

acidify will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chris955
It is a really bad time to be considering moving to Australia at the moment, there is absolutely no doubt that unemployment will rise, possibly dramatically, in the months/years to come. The economy is being almost totally supported by mining and employment in that sector is dropping across the board. Personally I would sit tight and see how it pans out.
Thanks a lot for this information , i like your candidness ,
Old Sep 16th 2012, 9:24 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sol2Oz
Have you heard of the Olympic Dam project, which was recently shelved in South Australia? They took so many years to prepare for that project but all of a sudden, it was shelved last month.

Interesting to note that the project was shelved because the project managers feel the resources boom has peaked and it wouldn't be cost effective to continue:

The Olympic Dam decision is a symbolic moment in the decline of the resources boom, as it would have been the biggest open cut mine in the world and took seven years of painstaking work through design and approvals.

The decision is a major blow to South Australia, which had expected the Olympic Dam expansion to deliver a huge boost in jobs and a royalty stream of about $350 million a year for decades.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/olymp...822-24mvy.html
The boom is over for now, but remember as soon as China or anywhere else for that matter starts whirring again it's boom time in Australia again. Other countries aren't so lucky.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acidify
I hope you didn't take Chris seriously. He or she has a very patriotic yet blinkered view of the world, mainly focussing around every British Expat moving back the the UK.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 9:54 am
Banned

Location: Portsmouth, well I went there once, I think, and Australia
Wendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beoz
I hope you didn't take Chris seriously. He or she has a very patriotic yet blinkered view of the world, mainly focussing around every British Expat moving back the the UK.
That's a nice way to put it......
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:45 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

No problem at all, there are many on here that will have you believe all is rosy in Australia and the streets are paved with gold.

Originally Posted by acidify
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:46 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps allow the poster to make up their own mind without you needing to add yout jaundiced view

Old Sep 16th 2012, 3:13 pm
Banned

Not exactly true, Brazil and various African countries have huge amounts of natural resources without the high labour costs so another boom isnt guaranteed.

Originally Posted by Zen10
The boom is over for now, but remember as soon as China or anywhere else for that matter starts whirring again it's boom time in Australia again. Other countries aren't so lucky.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:12 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly true, Brazil and various African countries have huge amounts of natural resources without the high labour costs so another boom isnt guaranteed.
Politically unstable and massively underdeveloped infrastructures.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps allow the poster to make up their own mind without you needing to add yout jaundiced view
Chris .... Let me remind you of what you said "there is absolutely no doubt that unemployment will rise, possibly dramatically, in the months/years to come". Where is the evidence to support this?

It's totally inappropriate the make this statement along with your mining statement without a crystal ball, backup or fact.

I get a strong feeling to say this "stuff" just to reassure yourself that you move back to the UK was the right one and you are not totally convinced yourself.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 11:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No problem at all, there are many on here that will have you believe all is rosy in Australia and the streets are paved with gold.
Who, where and when please? I can only assume you've slipped back 10 years and believe you're posting through Usenet.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Politically unstable and massively underdeveloped infrastructures.
Actually, i will disagree there. There are good few African countries that have excellent mining infrastructure and are now becoming to be regarded as lower soverign risk than Oz. Because of the way the federal and state goverments have behaved in the last few years, Oz is developing a very bad name for itself in the industry.

I have worked in several African countries as well as South America and Asia. All with the exception of the Congo (DRC) were excellent for mining. The geology is highly prospective, it hasnt been already explored, supportive goverments and safe environments.

Hence why WA based juniors are giving up ground at a rapid rate of knotts. Drilling companies are laying off drillers big time. But a lot of the same countries are now taking projects in other countries. Its not difficult to see why. You have a $5 mill drill budget, do you spend it in WA at $400 per meter or Africa at $130 a meter.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Actually, i will disagree there. There are good few African countries that have excellent mining infrastructure and are now becoming to be regarded as lower soverign risk than Oz. Because of the way the federal and state goverments have behaved in the last few years, Oz is developing a very bad name for itself in the industry.

I have worked in several African countries as well as South America and Asia. All with the exception of the Congo (DRC) were excellent for mining. The geology is highly prospective, it hasnt been already explored, supportive goverments and safe environments.

Hence why WA based juniors are giving up ground at a rapid rate of knotts. Drilling companies are laying off drillers big time. But a lot of the same countries are now taking projects in other countries. Its not difficult to see why. You have a $5 mill drill budget, do you spend it in WA at $400 per meter or Africa at $130 a meter.
Some of my colleagues are working on the Rio Simandou project which will be in Guinea, West Africa. There is NO infrastructure there. Nothing. Everything has to be built from scratch - rail, roads, power, water, comms, harbour. The delivered cost of iron-ore in China will be no different to the cost out of the Pilbara, maybe even more when you add the extra 10 days of bulk-carrier rental @$150k/day.

There is also the threat of nationalisation (one of the reasons that the project scope has been scaled back), regime change aka military coup and general 3rd world issues.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:21 am
Banned

The problem is that many just lump every country together and think of them as one big country when in fact they are all different.

Originally Posted by verystormy

Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:22 am
Banned

You're funny, not funny haha

I get a strong feeling to say this "stuff" just to reassure yourself that you move back to the UK was the right one and you are not totally convinced yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.