Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling that it's now not worth the risk

Feeling that it's now not worth the risk

Old Oct 10th 2012, 1:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling that it's now not worth the risk

Originally Posted by asprilla
you're going to win lotto next year.

I predict you will win at least $10.
That's awesome, thanks. That and the 3% growth makes it all worthwhile.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
It is predicted that Australia will have 3% growth in its economy next year, still looks a good bet.
3% means Australia will stay out of recession
Old Oct 10th 2012, 5:10 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Beoz
3% means Australia will stay out of recession

That's correct, it's good news indeed, it's better than the predicted Australia's going into recession quotes.

Still a difficult decision for folks deciding its worth taking the risk to emigrate, but good news is better than ....... Bad news.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
That's correct, it's good news indeed, it's better than the predicted Australia's going into recession quotes.

Still a difficult decision for folks deciding its worth taking the risk to emigrate, but good news is better than ....... Bad news.
Well, if Australia was not as expensive as it is (as the perception will tell you) then salaries would be less and the attraction to come would be diminished. Bit of a catch 22 don't you think.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
you're going to win lotto next year.

I predict you will win at least $10.

ps - back to the OP. You said your husband does SQL dba? I'm not 100% sure what you mean but isn't that I.T. ?? not mining.

cheers
yes it's IT but he got a job as a SQL dba for a mining company - that's where he was looking as the money is better.

We are here now, arrived las tThursday, and although things are not as busy as previously it doesn't seem too bad. He is registering with all agencies this week and hopefully something will crop up soon
Old Oct 10th 2012, 4:16 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Well, if Australia was not as expensive as it is (as the perception will tell you) then salaries would be less and the attraction to come would be diminished. Bit of a catch 22 don't you think.

No ones saying its easy to emigrate, but good news stories are better than bad news stories.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:32 am
Just Joined

parmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really nice

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
Well we are 2 weeks away from completing on our house sale, notice handed in on both jobs, one of the cars is going tomorrow and someone looking at the other this weekend then boom, the job offer that my husband had in writing from a large mining company has been retracted I know people have been saying the mining boom is coming to an end and things are looking grim but you kind of think it cant be that bad They have phoned him this morning saying they have put a job freeze in place and made approx. 1000 people redundant, so things really aren't looking too good. Thing is what the heck do we do now? Do we pull out of the house sale, ask for my job back, my husband contracts so he could look for another contract, dont sell the car tomorrow - I am so confused right now. We were going to go before the job offer so that was an added bonus, but are things really that grim that my husband will struggle to find decent paid work to support us all if the large companies are struggling? I'm not sure we should risk everything we have here in the hope he may get a job. By the way he is a SQL Dba so if anyone has a feeling for the job market in his area an advise would be gratefully recieved. This immigration malarky may just do me in
Hi,
I am an ex pat been here over 6 years. I live in Cairns in Queensland. I work for BHP Billiton in W.A (yes.... a longgggg way to go/fly to work!) Anyway, mining jobs are being cut, and FMG as someone mentioned elsewhere have cut loads. Especially at Christmas Creek mine in the Pilbara. But..... there are stll new projects happening and existing expansions too. Its really more to do with control of costs as commodity prices are down. Its why FMG suffer most as theyre debt was high and they cannot operate efficiently if prices at certain level which they did fall below........
And by the way, Australia would have been in recession 2/3/4 years ago and is only mining that kept Australia head above water (just....) Its going through a dip it wont crash. And also, 'politics' is involved to degree... over the resources tax pinged on mining companies to basically give aussie government more money to fill empty coffers! Personally speaking, if you want Aussie move then consider it, Perth being your living location is best by far to find/get work. Have a contingency plan (savings to live off for say min 6 months) Research ALL mining companies here including agencies and contact prior to leaving U.K.
Good luck :-)
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. Prior to the so called boom,Australia was very reasonably priced. Wages may have been lower but the attraction laid in being able for many to purchase a house outright or at the very least a hefty deposit.

Are we living in a better Australia now than ten years ago? For many if not most highly unlikely......
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:50 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Not really. Prior to the so called boom,Australia was very reasonably priced. Wages may have been lower but the attraction laid in being able for many to purchase a house outright or at the very least a hefty deposit.

Are we living in a better Australia now than ten years ago? For many if not most highly unlikely......
Exactly, spot on. We bought our house in Brisbane 11 years ago now and it was quite frankly as cheap as chips, the young professional couple that bought it earlier this year had to borrow money from his parents on top of their mortgage. It was very touch and go that they would be able to afford it even though they appeared to be earning decent money. This was a weatherboard, tin roof house in the outer suburbs.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:03 am
Just Joined

parmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really nice

Originally Posted by the troubadour

Thats a brilliant point. I remember in 1999 when i came to Aus for holiday how cheap it was to buy a house. I dont mean an average one in a craphole either. Some were 'dearer' but still bloody cheap! WHat has let Australia down is the totally unrealistic MASSIVE house price rises that kicked off around 2003/2004 until financial crash.. Within three years prices as an average were going up 3 or even four times! At the least! I came over in 2006 and so wished i came just two years earlier as house we bought was HALF the price.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parmenion
Within three years prices as an average were going up 3 or even four times! At the least!
That was happening in SE England too - I know because I was one of the people buying and selling at the time

Last edited by Amazulu; Oct 11th 2012 at 8:23 am.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:19 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parmenion
Thats a brilliant point. I remember in 1999 when i came to Aus for holiday how cheap it was to buy a house. I dont mean an average one in a craphole either. Some were 'dearer' but still bloody cheap! WHat has let Australia down is the totally unrealistic MASSIVE house price rises that kicked off around 2003/2004 until financial crash.. Within three years prices as an average were going up 3 or even four times! At the least! I came over in 2006 and so wished i came just two years earlier as house we bought was HALF the price.
We bought our place in 2001 and at the time we could have bought a big house with a pool in a slightly less desirable area for less than $100,000, that wouldnt even buy you a craphole flat in a terrible area. Our house sold for almost 4 times what we paid for it 10 years earlier. It is no wonder couples cant get onto the ladder.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chris955
We bought our place in 2001 and at the time we could have bought a big house with a pool in a slightly less desirable area for less than $100,000, that wouldnt even buy you a craphole flat in a terrible area. Our house sold for almost 4 times what we paid for it 10 years earlier. It is no wonder couples cant get onto the ladder.

It's no different here in the UK there's been programmes about it, grown up children having to live with mum and dad because they can't afford to buy a house.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:27 am
Banned

This thread is about Australia.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chris955
This thread is about Australia.

It's a relevant point, it's no different in most countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.