Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling that it's now not worth the risk

Feeling that it's now not worth the risk

Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling that it's now not worth the risk

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I work for Rio (in a roundabout way) and can tell you for a fact that they are still recruiting heavily.

FMG is a mess (but saying that, I know guys who are still there and are very busy). I've worked for Andrew Forrest and like him a lot but he's made a rod for his own back unfortunately. Them's the breaks.
Wonder for how long. A mate of mine is with them at the moment on a fixed 3 month contract just baby sitting a rig. But they have canned so many exploration projects in the last couple of weeks that there are now 3 geo's to each rig.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 10:26 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daunted
Are you both prepared to work anywhere/do anything? Mcdonalds/supermarkets? If so then consider still coming and doing it tough for a while...if not stay put in the UK and wait til things pick up

Australia is still doing really well at present, unemployment has just dropped and the economy is still growing and if you choose to go to Perth for example, it is still in a very good position, but ..... It might all change, but predicting the future of the Australan economy is just impossible.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I brought the family over in `08 as a skilled independant. Took 6 months to find a job and the wife took over a year to find something that fitted in with school run. Had a fair bit of money with us as the exchange rate was somewhat better but setting up and rental made a big hole in it. 4 years in and no regrets. I`m an electrician by trade and have recently started applying for other jobs, Have had a much better response than 4 years ago. Its not an easy decision I know. But I did consider worst scenario of 6 months out of work before leaving the Uk and budgeted for it.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

nandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura about

I dont know about your specific situation but about mining boom coming to an end? Latest July numbers show Perth's unemployment LOWER THAN EVER and participation rate HIGHEST, the economy has never been as good in the area, there's tons of work to do and easy to get a job, no doubt about it.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
Well we are 2 weeks away from completing on our house sale, notice handed in on both jobs, one of the cars is going tomorrow and someone looking at the other this weekend then boom, the job offer that my husband had in writing from a large mining company has been retracted I know people have been saying the mining boom is coming to an end and things are looking grim but you kind of think it cant be that bad They have phoned him this morning saying they have put a job freeze in place and made approx. 1000 people redundant, so things really aren't looking too good. Thing is what the heck do we do now? Do we pull out of the house sale, ask for my job back, my husband contracts so he could look for another contract, dont sell the car tomorrow - I am so confused right now. We were going to go before the job offer so that was an added bonus, but are things really that grim that my husband will struggle to find decent paid work to support us all if the large companies are struggling? I'm not sure we should risk everything we have here in the hope he may get a job. By the way he is a SQL Dba so if anyone has a feeling for the job market in his area an advise would be gratefully recieved. This immigration malarky may just do me in
I can imagine how disappointing that would be, we both had jobs to come to (found on validation trip) and it did make the whole thing a lot easier than the leap of faith.

But we did not have jobs when we applied for the skilled migrant visa and at one point we were preparing ourselves to make the leap. It sounds like you were in that place once too and so I think you should push forward, put the disappointment behind you and make the move.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:18 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nandnor
I dont know about your specific situation but about mining boom coming to an end? Latest July numbers show Perth's unemployment LOWER THAN EVER and participation rate HIGHEST, the economy has never been as good in the area, there's tons of work to do and easy to get a job, no doubt about it.
Again, iron ore has only just collapsed, so the consequences of this haven't reached the jobs yet. They will.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:27 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Countries that have gone in to recession have differing impacts on them, take Spain and the UK for instance. Spain's main problem as far as I could see was the collapse of the housing market, huge projects had to be cancelled, or we're built and not sold, I have seen programmes about it. Here in the UK the housing market has suffered but not as much as Spain, but the lenders haven't helped by insisting on a 20% deposit, both countries have had banking crisises and have been effected by the global financial downturn, but Australia hasn't suffered from any of these things. The housing situation might effect Australia, if the house prices collapse, but to just what extent, migrants are still coming in to the country to live, so need houses, yes the prices might drop, but it shouldn't effect the building of them, unless all of a sudden they are too dear for the builders to build, so they stop building because there's not enough profit. I don't know what impact the slow down of the mining industry will have on Australia, it might be severe, it might not be, does anyone really know?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I can imagine how disappointing that would be, we both had jobs to come to (found on validation trip) and it did make the whole thing a lot easier than the leap of faith.

But we did not have jobs when we applied for the skilled migrant visa and at one point we were preparing ourselves to make the leap. It sounds like you were in that place once too and so I think you should push forward, put the disappointment behind you and make the move.
Yes I think more disappointment than anything really as it was nice to think there would be no gap before we had an income again (as i know how moving can eat away at savings). We are still moving forward with it all and my husband has continued to apply for more jobs - if nothing comes if it then we will still carry on and hope to secure work when we get there. We are too far down the line to pull out not and as you say we were going to do pre offer anyway.

Thanks for all the advice guys and fingers crossed for jobs
Old Sep 10th 2012, 2:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Wonder for how long. A mate of mine is with them at the moment on a fixed 3 month contract just baby sitting a rig. But they have canned so many exploration projects in the last couple of weeks that there are now 3 geo's to each rig.
You need to remember that I work in projects and know nothing of geology/drilling.

The people I know are designing the Firetail process plant for Solomon hub. FMG are going to finish this plant and my friends are finalising the design and then are going to support the construction, which will probably take until the middle of next year. FMG are shelving their Kings mine but are going to finish the design so that they can move quickly if/when they decide to build it.

Anyway, the guys are busy and doing 50 hour weeks.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Roy Hill are now getting rid and cutting back too.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:33 pm
Banned

There does seem to be more mention of lay offs recently, but the unemployment figures have just come down, could it be that Australia is such a growing nation, that jobs being created are more than jobs being lost?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
There does seem to be more mention of lay offs recently, but the unemployment figures have just come down, could it be that Australia is such a growing nation, that jobs being created are more than jobs being lost?
Unemployment figures show the past, just like GDP figures. It doesn't necessarily reflect on what is happening now or the near future. Also, have a look at this article about the recent unemployment figures, and the lower participation rate.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Unemployment figures show the past, just like GDP figures. It doesn't necessarily reflect on what is happening now or the near future. Also, have a look at this article about the recent unemployment figures, and the lower participation rate.
All countries work their unemployment rates, the figures I quoted are now, not in the past, it's far better for employment in Australia at present according to the figures, if you belive them, which i dont but neither do i believe the figures in the UK and if you live in the UK you must know its not good at present, there are places down south that have faired better, but no one will ever know the real truth.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Heard on the news last night that Xtrata are cutting 300 jobs in their mines in Mt Isa.... not good news
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:16 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookster
Heard on the news last night that Xtrata are cutting 300 jobs in their mines in Mt Isa.... not good news
And they're hydrocarbons, not iron, aren't they? Any miners out there explain these lay offs?? Structural reasons? Oil and gas prices rising in general.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.