Feeling Homesick !

Feeling Homesick !

Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Feeling Homesick !

Hi all
just to say yes i get homesick every now and again.Hubby's nana passed away 3 weeks ago and we could not go back because of the money.
If we wanted to go back home to sunny morecambe we could not go because of the money.
We would have to save up to move back home.
It is nice when you get vistor,we had my mum and nephew and his girlfriend in november for 3 weeks there loved it here and my nephew and his girlfriend are coming out on a working visa this year.
My mum is coming out in june with my sister i hope.I have 2 bothers but i do not now if there are coming out.
I am hoping that we can go back for a holiday at christams time,it will be my 30 birthday and i can see my new nephew.
So i am looking forward to that.
The kids are better now shannon as made friends only 2 weeks ago and she as be there since spetember of last year.
Cally is injoying school.
Hubby has just been made full time now at work and the boss has told him that he is going on course.
So i am just looking for work it is hard for me because i can not drive and you need a car to get around here.
We live in ednes landing which is a lovely place.
We have had are bad time with my dad and pauls nana and the(washing machine ) broken down last week.
So we are looking forward to are lives in brisbane.

Take care all
ANN MARIE
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Pomdownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

On Saturday I had a couple of calls from a mate of mine in the Uk who had waited up to 1am in the morning to speak to me as he knew I was feeling homesick! I couldn't believe that he had waited up so late in order to check on me. I've known this guy since I was eighteen and it made me realise just how good a mate he is and how much I miss him. It's so hard to find friendships like that isn't it?

We went out to China town in Brisbane yesterday with some friends and had a great time seeing in the Chinese New Year. When we got back we felt really positive yet today when I woke up I had that empty feeling again! It really pissed me off !

Pomdownunder
Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:17 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Pomdownunder
When we got back we felt really positive yet today when I woke up I had that empty feeling again! It really pissed me off !

Pomdownunder
Have to say that feeling is a killer, hope things are a little brighter today?

M

Old Feb 14th 2005, 3:32 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=walter99]

The child being happier because it is back in the UK could very well be the parents are happier so therefore the child is more at ease.

/QUOTE]

This being a good thing..

I do think that from the age of about 5/6 a child has their own views as to what is good - bad -nice and horrid. My feelings about being in Perth wern't on show to my daughter. I certainly didn't go around with a sad long face, constantly droning on about how I hated being in OZ. I hid my feelings for well over 6 months even to the hubby ( ) rented and then bought a house before I said anything about being homesick. So our daughter had made her mind up about what she thought of living in Perth, long before my true feelings were ever exposed.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 3:37 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Cant give you karma as my computer wont let me.

Love Sam
OHWwwww

Never mind
Old Feb 14th 2005, 4:46 pm
Professional Princess

On Saturday I had a couple of calls from a mate of mine in the Uk who had waited up to 1am in the morning to speak to me as he knew I was feeling homesick! I couldn't believe that he had waited up so late in order to check on me. I've known this guy since I was eighteen and it made me realise just how good a mate he is and how much I miss him. It's so hard to find friendships like that isn't it?

We went out to China town in Brisbane yesterday with some friends and had a great time seeing in the Chinese New Year. When we got back we felt really positive yet today when I woke up I had that empty feeling again! It really pissed me off !

Pomdownunder
The empty feeling you have is all normal and part of the adaptation process.

You have moved from your 'comfort zone' to a 'zone'.

Just don't be too hard on yourself. Your mates will always be there in the UK and your long distance friendship will add depth to what you already have.

If they can come over and visit, you can prouldy show them your home and country and give them some memories to take back.

And slowly, very slowly, that empty feeling will be replaced with fulfillment at what you are building in Australia.

It takes time, but the best things in life usually do.

Venture into 'The Lounge' forum and have a look at the 'what made you smile today'.

Every morning you get up, find something nice that makes you smile and post on the thread.

I bet by the end of the week, you wouldnt have stopped smiling.

Sometimes you just need to remind you what's beautiful.

Love Sam

Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:15 pm
Margie

Margie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Feeling Homesick !

Originally Posted by ramseystreet
Hi I know how you feel. Have been in Perth for 16 months and my gut feeling when I came, was that it wasn't for me. I still feel like it now but we are staying for citizenship and will take it from there.
I definitely think it's worth getting your citizenship at least. It's something to aim for.

Hi, I am moving to Perth in August with my hubby and our girls aged 6 and 9.
I have read all these messages from the homesick and can imagine what it must be like. I am really excited about our move, but dread leaving lifetime friends and family behind.

So any advice welcome. I aim to get partime work and spend time meeting new people through the children and by joining clubs etc.

If you are still in Perth in August, it would be great to get in touch. Do you mix with many other expats?

Friends say you get out what you put in and effort is required, isn't always that easy though, is it?

Keep in touch, hope things get better for you! M
Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:25 pm
wombat42

[QUOTE=janeyray]
Originally Posted by walter99

The child being happier because it is back in the UK could very well be the parents are happier so therefore the child is more at ease.

/QUOTE]

This being a good thing..

I do think that from the age of about 5/6 a child has their own views as to what is good - bad -nice and horrid. My feelings about being in Perth wern't on show to my daughter. I certainly didn't go around with a sad long face, constantly droning on about how I hated being in OZ. I hid my feelings for well over 6 months even to the hubby ( ) rented and then bought a house before I said anything about being homesick. So our daughter had made her mind up about what she thought of living in Perth, long before my true feelings were ever exposed.
l'm sorry it must have been dreadful for you living in one of the best countries in the world. Your not in OZ anymore, so why don't you get over it,
your back home in that paradise on earth called the UK.

Last edited by wombat42; Feb 27th 2005 at 11:32 pm.

Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wombat42
l'm sorry it must have been dreadful for you living in one of the best countries in the world. Your not in OZ anymore , why don't you get over it.
Wombat
i am not being sarcastic but am truly interested. Have you travelled? If so where have you visited because you keep giving views of the world so i am presuming you have travelled it extensively. Is this true
Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:37 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by desperate2go
Wombat
i am not being sarcastic but am truly interested. Have you travelled? If so where have you visited because you keep giving views of the world so i am presuming you have travelled it extensively. Is this true
They call me " The world Adventurer" due to my travels to furthest corners of the world, from deepest darkest Africa to freezing wastelands of the Arctic, they can't tie me down in one place.

Last edited by wombat42; Feb 27th 2005 at 11:48 pm.

Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby and I have been in Oz for nearly 5 months.

I am an Aussie, Hubby the Brit. He had only been here prior to us moving, for a 3 week holiday which is when we got married.

From the day I met my Hubby, he knew that I had every intention of moving back home to Oz. I had not gone to the UK with the view to it being permanent, just for a while to travel etc.

When I met Hubby, he was still living at home with this terminally ill father. He was still living in the same house he was bought home to from the hospital when he was born.

Hubby tells me last night "I want to go home".....my look ->

He tells me he is feeling depressed and doesnt feel like he is coping with all of the changes.

Me? I couldnt go back....not yet!! I have just arrived home after 4 yrs of living away. 2 years of that were sheer hell with this p^*!k of a father. His father passes away last year and who is it that has to do everything? Me!! Clean his fathers house, arrange everything, organise everything....

I dont know what to do....I feel like I have sacrificed alot for him up to this point, and I know he has for me just by coming here....but its not much of a sacrifice if you arent going to TRY and make a go of it....and honestly, I dont feel he really has tried...

Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:47 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wombat42
They call me " The world Adventurer" due to my travels to furthest corners of the world, from deepest darkest Africa to freezing wastelands of the Artic, they can't tie me down in one place.
shall we take that as a "no' then ?
Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Hi everyone, just wanted to post a new thread on homesicknes!
My family and I have been out here in Brisbane for nearly six months now and we do like it out here but we continually miss our friends anf family! This is mainly my wife and I, so much so that we have now started to consider moving back!

We would like to here from anyone that has either been through this same thing and what they have done, and if they did go back how do they feel about their decission now?

We are not going to make a rash decission as we know we have a better lifestyle out here and the cost of living is cheaper but this isn't making up for oue emotional loss!

All the best

Pomdownunder
I was homesick a week after i got off the boat to Canada, But hung in and that was 45 years ago........ .......... Good Luck..............
Old Feb 28th 2005, 5:54 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Margie
Hi, I am moving to Perth in August with my hubby and our girls aged 6 and 9.
I have read all these messages from the homesick and can imagine what it must be like. I am really excited about our move, but dread leaving lifetime friends and family behind.

So any advice welcome. I aim to get partime work and spend time meeting new people through the children and by joining clubs etc.

If you are still in Perth in August, it would be great to get in touch. Do you mix with many other expats?

Friends say you get out what you put in and effort is required, isn't always that easy though, is it?

Keep in touch, hope things get better for you! M

Hi, welcome to the site!!

Homesickness is a hard thing to give advice on, as its very personal. I think the best thing you can do is come out here with an open mind and open eyes. Its not the UK in the sun, its differences become more and more clear the longer you are here; both good and bads one. Take one day at a time, and dont expect miracles to happen over night & you will certainly be well on your way to making the best go of things you can do, after that only you and your family will know. I love it here, but still have my moments, none great enough to make me want to go home
Old Feb 28th 2005, 6:15 am
Margie

Margie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Feeling Homesick !

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hi, welcome to the site!!

Homesickness is a hard thing to give advice on, as its very personal. I think the best thing you can do is come out here with an open mind and open eyes. Its not the UK in the sun, its differences become more and more clear the longer you are here; both good and bads one. Take one day at a time, and dont expect miracles to happen over night & you will certainly be well on your way to making the best go of things you can do, after that only you and your family will know. I love it here, but still have my moments, none great enough to make me want to go home
Thanks for your words of wisdom! I was in Perth on hols last year and found it hard to leave then. I know no place is perfect, but Perth seemed so right for us and what we dreamed of offering our children away from the climate here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.