Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling emotional only 4 wks to go...

Feeling emotional only 4 wks to go...

Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Feeling emotional only 4 wks to go...

Am feeling all over the place at the mo. Shippers are coming weds, having lots of friends and family goodbyes, feeling sad and guilty and really trying to look on the positives. Its one of the hardest decisions we've made especially with 2 little ones who we are taking away from doting grandparents. I'm sure everyone feels like this as the time gets nearer, just wanted to here how everyone else gets through this last stage!!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:46 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feeling emotional only 4 wks to go...

I used the ignorance is bliss and pretended to myself that I will see them all soon! I still am in the cloud cuckoo land.. if I feel bad then I start making plans of when I am going to fly back... The Old Bloke says that I am in denial!

I like having that place in my head.... as I told my MIL.. Australia (or the UK) is a plane ride away.. just pack a bag, book a flight and arrive at destination!

I can be a simple soul when need be !

Em x
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Hi we are leaving 4 weeks today - this time 4 weeks we will be sitting on a plane Everyone keeps asking "so you must be all packed and ready to go ?" and I'm thinking S**T best get a move on because there is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much to do !
Sold one car ,ebayed stuff, charitied stuff still need to sell a Transit Van !
I am starting to feel a tad emotional - God I cried at X-Factor last night after slagging off all the singers for crying too much !
I just keep telling myself it is for the best/future/kids/sunshine. I am looking forward to a glass of champagne on the plane - new life here we come
Good Luck - where are you flying from and to ?
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold

hi

i think it is completley normal. i am like Em and in total denial

i have finished work...made me cry, i thought i would enjoy it much more than i did!

now i am procrastinating i start then find things suh as old photos and that is 2 hours gone as i look at them all.

the 30th is gonna creep up on me really fast

all the best

debbie
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Hi i too really do know how you are feeling at the moment, our shippers have been and gone, we are living out of suitcases and at my mothers !! We leave for Brisbane on the 26th Oct, the family goodbyes have started and it is getting emotional, part of me really really really wants to go and then there is the other part that feels guilty and selfish, at the moment i feel a bit of an emotional wreck, today hasnt been a good day for me so far feeling worn out with the build up to going. We have to remain positive and look to why we were going in the first place, chin up to all , its going to be GREAT I PROMISE
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:26 pm
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

We leave tomorrow night heading for Brisbane and then onto Mackay. It has been an emotional rollercoaster. All the time I was busy sorting the house and making plans it was ok but when I had to leave my house and move in with my in-laws thats when it hit me. I have spent many a private moment shedding tears. My children finished school on Friday and that was hard as not only were they hysterical so were their friends. Today I have been to town to get last minute items and now the nerves are starting to set in. I am not looking forward to tomorrow, saying our goodbyes but it has to be done. I'm sure the journey to the airport will pass by in a teary blur.

Nikki
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Dippy Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Just reading these threads are giving me flutters in my stomach. I cant imagine how im going to feel in 6 months time when we finally go.

All the best

Donna xx
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

brucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nice

8 weeks to go, and It hasnt really hit me yet. Thats probably why the OH gets annoyed with me. Maybe Im too laid back about it all. To me friends and family are only a plane flight away or a quick call on the phone or message on MSN, etc.

Loads to do yet here. House still to sell or rent, 1 car to sell, the other to scrap. Shippers will be moving our stuff in ealry Nov. Need to arrange a rental for when we get to Brissy, but still need to identify an area where we want to live.

No one ever said a move like was ever going to be easy. Its a big challenge for everyone, at home and those making the move. But you must consider why your making the move in the first place.

Good luck everyone.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant future

I know exactly how you feel. I fly out in 3 weeks and have just got loads to do, more cleaning, packing, etc. The packers are coming on Thursday and Friday this week.

I do find myself getting a bit teary when thinking about the goodbyes and am not looking forward to the next week. My head feels like its so full I don't know what to do first. I will get there!!!
Clare
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

I feel the same way this next month is one I could quite happily miss. We leave on 9th November, currently living on garden furniture and blow up beds.

The guilty feeling seems to be getting easy for me at the moment. I know the next few weeks will be tough and not looking forward to saying goodbye to friends and family. It really started yesterday at my 4 year old's birthday party but I have to say I didn't feel as guilty as I thought I would.

I just keep reminding myself why we are making the move.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Steveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the rough

Hi
We leave next Tuesday and the last few days have been quite emotional for me anyway. My husband and daughter are really excited but suddenly I'm feeling the pressure. Shippers came last Thursday and Friday was cleaning the house over the weekend and handed in the keys to the new owner, also left our dog at the export kennels and he flys to Sydney tomorrow night so it been a tough couple of days. Also feeling guilty about leaving family especially my Nan who is now in her 80's, but keep telling myself we are going for a better future and if all goes tits up we can come home.
Clare
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

brucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steveclare
Hi
We leave next Tuesday and the last few days have been quite emotional for me anyway. My husband and daughter are really excited but suddenly I'm feeling the pressure. Shippers came last Thursday and Friday was cleaning the house over the weekend and handed in the keys to the new owner, also left our dog at the export kennels and he flys to Sydney tomorrow night so it been a tough couple of days. Also feeling guilty about leaving family especially my Nan who is now in her 80's, but keep telling myself we are going for a better future and if all goes tits up we can come home.
Clare
My thoughts excactly

Good luck!!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Hi All,

We are leaving the UK on 24th October. I'm definitely in the denial camp, la la la it's not happening and I'm not going to cry la la la. But busy packing and cleaning like there's no tomorrow.

We decided a while ago not to have anyone see us off at the airport, too emotional, we'd be wrecks. So we are saying all our goodbyes the weekend before we fly out and this gives us time to sober up afterwards.
The idea that I might not see some family members for a long time keeps hitting me right in the gut, I feel permanently pre-menstrual. I think I'll need lots of tissues and waterproof mascara for that.

We are staying at a hotel next to the airport the night before and hopefully have a relaxing meal and a glass or two then to unwind.

Good luck to you all, it's not going to be easy but hopefully it will be worth it.

Thanks all.

M
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

DONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really nice

It's completely normal how you are all feeling, but as some one said earlier you have to keep telling your self you are doing the right thing for your family, the goodbyes are always going to be the hardest, we have been on the gold coast for over a year now and we have had family over to visit, believe me it was not any easier saying goodbye to them, but life goes on. We love Oz our kids have a great life over here, they spend most weekends at a theme park or at the beach (which costs nothing) and I hope it continues forever as its great to see you kids enjoying life.

Good luck to all of you about to start your new adventure

Sarah x
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Reading fan
Hi we are leaving 4 weeks today - this time 4 weeks we will be sitting on a plane Everyone keeps asking "so you must be all packed and ready to go ?" and I'm thinking S**T best get a move on because there is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much to do !
Sold one car ,ebayed stuff, charitied stuff still need to sell a Transit Van !
I am starting to feel a tad emotional - God I cried at X-Factor last night after slagging off all the singers for crying too much !
I just keep telling myself it is for the best/future/kids/sunshine. I am looking forward to a glass of champagne on the plane - new life here we come
Good Luck - where are you flying from and to ?
We fly from Heathrow- melbourne via Singapore. Thanks for all the replies helps to know other people are feeling the same. Good luck to everyone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.