Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling the cold - winter coat spotted in Brisbane!

Feeling the cold - winter coat spotted in Brisbane!

Old May 5th 2005, 1:52 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Feeling the cold - winter coat spotted in Brisbane!

I for one have been feeling the climate change these past couple of weeks, but then I also get up at 5am four times a week to run, and the dark mornings alone make you feel "wintery".
On the ferry to work this morning I spotted my first wool winter coat! I've found myself wearing a suit jacket recently, and although since my first Brisbane winter in 2003 I have started to feel the cold more (all 20C of it ) I was wondering whether a pom ever really acclimatises to the 'cold' of a QLD winter and wishes they had central heating more than just a couple of nights a year.....

Granted the wool winter coats over here are not as thick as the British ones, and I do have a couple of small jackets, and even a long (but thin) coat. I just dont think I could ever be wearing a wool coat and gloves and a scarf and a beanie which have been springing up in all the shops recently!
Old May 5th 2005, 1:55 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Feeling the cold - winter coat spotted in Brisbane!

I saw ONE of the girls at my daughters school wearing a jumper yesterday !

Old May 5th 2005, 1:59 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I saw ONE of the girls at my daughters school wearing a jumper yesterday !
When I as in Perth last week I was cold and wearing a big fleecy jumper up until about 11 am and again after 3pm. I had jeans and trainers on aswell which havent been out of my wardrobe since I arrived.

Also been wearing one here in gero on some cooler evenings

I must be a right wimp.
Old May 5th 2005, 2:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JayDeee
I must be a right wimp.
Not really

Perth went down as low as 7.1°C in April, whilst Brisbane only went down to 14.5°C

Also bear in mind that Perth Temperature spread for April was:
Highest 35.8°C to lowest 7.1°C = a drop of 28.7°

Brisbane was
Highest 31.1°C to lowest 14.5°C = a drop of only 16.6°C

Old May 5th 2005, 2:18 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Not really

Perth went down as low as 7.1°C in April, whilst Brisbane only went down to 14.5°C

Also bear in mind that Perth Temperature spread for April was:
Highest 35.8°C to lowest 7.1°C = a drop of 28.7°

Brisbane was
Highest 31.1°C to lowest 14.5°C = a drop of only 16.6°C
Ahhhhhh so I'm a hard nut really

where do you get this information? I would love to knwo what Gero's average temps are now
Old May 5th 2005, 2:20 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Last winter was a real shock for us, I remember sitting with a fan heater, the oven on with door open and all hobs going on the cooker to try and warm up!! I worked night shift then and went to work wearing 2 jumpers and a coat more than once.
The other thing was getting into bed and the sheets being so cold they felt wet....never experienced that before!
I'm already wearing a jumper for the school run and wrapping up after about 8pm, beautiful in the daytime though.
Michaela
Old May 5th 2005, 2:30 am
ABCDiamond

Ahhhhhh so I'm a hard nut really

where do you get this information? I would love to knwo what Gero's average temps are now
This link will do you:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...8.200505.shtml

Then scroll down the page to select the month you want to look at.

Old May 5th 2005, 2:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mcmercer
Last winter was a real shock for us, I remember sitting with a fan heater, the oven on with door open and all hobs going on the cooker to try and warm up!! I worked night shift then and went to work wearing 2 jumpers and a coat more than once.
The other thing was getting into bed and the sheets being so cold they felt wet....never experienced that before!
I'm already wearing a jumper for the school run and wrapping up after about 8pm, beautiful in the daytime though.
Michaela
You are making me feel cold

Do you have reverse cycle air con in the house yet ?

Old May 5th 2005, 2:35 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mcmercer
Lbeing so cold they felt wet....never experienced that before!

Michaela

Hotwater bottles only around $1.99 in shops like crazy clarkes, put them in your bed half an hour before you go, no more cold sheets . chemists don't know how much they cost in those , but they sell them too , they will be more expensive than $1.99 of course in those.
warm brushed flannelette sheets around $25/ $30 in all shops, K mart, Big W, etc etc . Swipe all quilts from hubby; technique to this grab the corner under your chin and roll over a few times wrapping all the quilts and blankets around yourself, leaving him shivering, and then wonder why the 'ell he is moaning he is cold ,as you are nice and warm
Old May 5th 2005, 2:59 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

This link will do you:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...8.200505.shtml

Then scroll down the page to select the month you want to look at.
Thank you very much, been a bit chilly here aswell, rained for 4 days solid, not good fro thrying to get 50 sets of bedding washed and dried a day :scared:
Old May 5th 2005, 3:03 am
ABCDiamond

Thank you very much, been a bit chilly here aswell, rained for 4 days solid, not good fro thrying to get 50 sets of bedding washed and dried a day :scared:
So which soap powder do you recommend ?

Old May 5th 2005, 4:03 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

So which soap powder do you recommend ?
Only been in Brissie for 8 weeks and we're already feeling the cold! On the ferry this morning going into town and felt 'cooler'. It's the evenings though when we get the extra blanket out!

R
Old May 5th 2005, 4:16 am
ad4ozz

So if it get's so cold have the Oz's not heard of heating... .

I hate cold beds... :scared: :scared: :scared: was giving the hot water bottle away.

Old May 5th 2005, 4:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
So if it get's so cold have the Oz's not heard of heating... .

I hate cold beds... :scared: :scared: :scared: was giving the hot water bottle away.
A lot of houses here have no heating at all - also they are seriously lacking in insulation, so any heat you do manage to build up just escapes through the walls, and gaps in the doors/windows.
Old May 5th 2005, 4:24 am
ad4ozz

Bugger better return that visa.....dashed my hopes of a warm life in my old age... .

Better include the thermals on the container along with the combi boiler and radiators... .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.