Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

feel sick at the thought

Wikiposts

feel sick at the thought

Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default feel sick at the thought

Hi all

was driving home tonight from work and my passenger said how long now...well its 19 days and i felt physically sick at the thought...

What is wrong with me. I was, or am quite exicited about the prospects but with everything thats been going on with my son and his partner (debt, debt and more debt) then my youngest who was supposed to be staying with his brother has gone to stay with his nan till he finishes school.

ive been so busy at work, ofsted, christmas performances etc that i dont tend to give my trip a second thought till someone mentions it.

Maybe its the thought of been so far away once i get there...over 3 hours out of Adelaide.

I dont know what i should be doing, re pensions, money transfers, etc Maybe im just not trying to think about it.

sorry to go on..is it just me and the situation i find myself in at the moment.

regards

lolly
Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: feel sick at the thought

Lolly - it can get a bit much can't it? This term is always the worst though, and thank the lord it's almost over.
I wouldn't panic too much about financial stuff - try to get the papers together and get as much online as you can so that you can sort it out from the other side. With xmas coming up there is probably a limited amount you can do now anyway. Sometimes school secretaries/accountants can be v knowledgable (sp?!) about pensions etc, might be worth asking them.
Try setting up an international bank account - I just got one with Nationwide, but I know there are others, where you can withdraw money in Australia without getting hefty charges. It only took about 20 minutes to do.
I'm sure it's only natural to feel anxious & unsure - don't worry about feeling like that. What's the worst that could happen? You'll be ok.
Good luck with the next three weeks!
Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:57 am
Just Joined

kcw1962 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. just laughed to myself, I could well have written this today. I am from the boro, and today I was updating my diary, and entered 19/02/07, fly to oz, and I too felt physically sick and weak, took me a while to recover, but dont worry, I know exactly how you are feeling right now.. best wishes K.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 5:22 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

AAAAww lolly, it will all come together in the end won't it?
Have you got the lists and ticks going?
I'm sure you are far more organised than you realise (hopefully)
Just think of the sunshine.....
J x
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lollyno1
well its 19 days ...
ofsted
I would have thought the opposite, escaping from the clutches of ofsted

WW
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

Hi Lolly,

it is a huge thing that you are doing so you are allowed to feel worried at the thought. We moved over here about 4 weeks ago and had the same worries before leaving the UK.

All I can say is try to make a list of people you need to advise you are emigrating or ask advice from and cope with them one by one, the sooner you get them ticked off the list, the better you will feel. With regards to pensions, I asked my personal pension brokers for advice and they advised me that as long as I gave them contact details (you could give them friends or family's address in the UK until you are settled) and have a UK bank account, then they will pay into that when the time comes. We have also seen adverts on the TV here about companies who transfer your UK pension over here so we may do that in time but I have no doubt that they will charge.

Re transferring over money, we used our UK bank account for every day expenses until we got here and then first thing we did was open a bank account (took about 40 mins), then we used Ozforex (www.ozforex.com.au) to transfer the funds (there will be loads of threads on Ozforex on here) we found them very helpful and it was all done quickly.

Re things like national insurance, they will advise that you need to let them know your address in Australia so that if you are entitled to a UK pension (off the top of my head you have to have been working and paying NI for at least 7 years but check with them) they can contact you to see where to pay it to.

Good luck

Sun