Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feel like we've been kicked in the stomach..

Feel like we've been kicked in the stomach..

Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:43 pm
HAM
Forum Regular

Location: on the opposite side of the world to where I want to be...
HAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Feel like we've been kicked in the stomach..

Sorry just got to share this with you all as I feel like crying at the moment...we got an email today from the recruitment agency we have been dealing with to say the prospective employer has pulled out at the last minute - so that's it...no if's.. but's..., nothing.
As we don't quailfy for a skilled visa the employment route - either ENS or 457 - is/was our only hope and we have been applying for jobs relentlessly for over a year now. 99% of the time you don't even get a response - and we soon learnt that - but this one really seemed liked it was going to work out and stupidly we started to make plans in our heads and talk about "...when we're in Aus....". Now we're back to square one
How do you just get on with you're life and stop something like this taking over the way it has with me
Sorry to sound so pathetic - I think I need to change my avatar - I dont feel like a dancing carrot anymore
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:48 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feel like we've been kicked in the stomach..

Its a bitch!

Similar thing happened to me - inter-company transfer to the US , multiples of salary , big house in tampa, etc.... we got all the way to having house on market etc and then at last minute the guy I was exchanging with in the US pulled out and the whole thing ceased.

What we did.... we picked ourselves up,(after kicking and screaming) and started our own company (as well as staying at work ) 5yrs on we applied for a visa to Aus and moved here 6mths ago.

You should explore all the visas, STNI is a good one if you are low on points - state sponsored. Or even education visas - do a course.

Anyway - I know how you feel , Its a b'srd
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HAM
Sorry just got to share this with you all as I feel like crying at the moment...we got an email today from the recruitment agency we have been dealing with to say the prospective employer has pulled out at the last minute - so that's it...no if's.. but's..., nothing.
As we don't quailfy for a skilled visa the employment route - either ENS or 457 - is/was our only hope and we have been applying for jobs relentlessly for over a year now. 99% of the time you don't even get a response - and we soon learnt that - but this one really seemed liked it was going to work out and stupidly we started to make plans in our heads and talk about "...when we're in Aus....". Now we're back to square one
How do you just get on with you're life and stop something like this taking over the way it has with me
Sorry to sound so pathetic - I think I need to change my avatar - I dont feel like a dancing carrot anymore
Oh buggar. I'm sorry to hear this cos I know we all eat, live and breath the move dont we

Not sure what you can do but maybe you should try the immigration forum on this site and see if one of the migration agents can help?

Good luck m8
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:57 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HAM
What is your occupation Ham? like Spalen says could you get in though STNI or SIR? sorry to hear your news sending you some K
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:11 pm
HAM
Forum Regular

HAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura about

Hi all

Thanks for your replies. Without going into "War and Peace". Hubby is an insurance broker (40points) and overall gets 95 points He is however, at management level and in an area which the industry knows Aus lacks expertise in - which is why there are quite a few jobs come up and why we thought the employment route was viable as he knows others who have done the same -

Me I'm a manager of a private nursery but I only work 15 hours per week term time only so don't meet the work exerience requirements even though I've been doing the job for 10 years blah blah

We have spoken to migration experts at length and have always been told that ENS for hubby would be the best/most viable option for us.
One agent did suggest that I apply for a student visa and study to full honors degree level in education ( I currently hold one of these new foundation degree thingy's (240cat points), but with 2 small children to consider this would be a risky option...If it was just the two of us we'd just do it no question...but we want a "better life for all the family" and unfortunately that means a secure job for hubby and me being around to do the wifey and mummy bits!!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:28 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

do the degree - but bunk off , everyone else does ! haha
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:34 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

this scares me!!

I'm about 50% down the 457 route ... just had my medicals (today!!) etc and waiting for the visa to be approved.

Sold my house (but not exchanged contracts or anything) and started winding down things here in the uk

Theres absolutely nothing stopping the company in aus pulling out (we're going via an recruitment company who will be holding my visa) so i wont feel secure till i'm on that plane with an official start date at my new place

my heart goes out to you!!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:42 pm
HAM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cam_uk
this scares me!!

I'm about 50% down the 457 route ... just had my medicals (today!!) etc and waiting for the visa to be approved.

Sold my house (but not exchanged contracts or anything) and started winding down things here in the uk

Theres absolutely nothing stopping the company in aus pulling out (we're going via an recruitment company who will be holding my visa) so i wont feel secure till i'm on that plane with an official start date at my new place

my heart goes out to you!!
Thanks Cam uk...sorry if I've scared you..I'm sure you'll be fine . Your situation is exactly the same as ours ie through a recruitment agency so effectively contracted out to the employer. We'd been ok'd for visa etc and had had an email to say we will need to go for x-rays + meds for kids as soon as job offer was confirmed. Things went quiet so agency chased employer to see what delay was only to be told "oh we've decided not to go ahead, we're going to restructure internally instead" Well thanks a bunch for telling us
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:45 pm
HAM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spalen
do the degree - but bunk off , everyone else does ! haha
Don't temp me spalen...don't tempt me Me? I bunk off....never
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:56 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by HAM
Thanks Cam uk...sorry if I've scared you..I'm sure you'll be fine . Your situation is exactly the same as ours ie through a recruitment agency so effectively contracted out to the employer. We'd been ok'd for visa etc and had had an email to say we will need to go for x-rays + meds for kids as soon as job offer was confirmed. Things went quiet so agency chased employer to see what delay was only to be told "oh we've decided not to go ahead, we're going to restructure internally instead" Well thanks a bunch for telling us
I've just mailed the recuitment company and asked for reassurance .. its a nightmare ..

people like jaj and the like recommend not going via the 457 route, but like you, its probably the only option open to me (i've been applying via seek since april!!)

Like i said before, i'm really sorry to hear your news, i can imagine what a kick in the teeth it is ...
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh god Ham I am so sorry,

nothing more to add, I wish I could
hugs always Lace x
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:46 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HAM
Hi all

Thanks for your replies. Without going into "War and Peace". Hubby is an insurance broker (40points) and overall gets 95 points He is however, at management level and in an area which the industry knows Aus lacks expertise in - which is why there are quite a few jobs come up and why we thought the employment route was viable as he knows others who have done the same -

Me I'm a manager of a private nursery but I only work 15 hours per week term time only so don't meet the work exerience requirements even though I've been doing the job for 10 years blah blah

We have spoken to migration experts at length and have always been told that ENS for hubby would be the best/most viable option for us.
One agent did suggest that I apply for a student visa and study to full honors degree level in education ( I currently hold one of these new foundation degree thingy's (240cat points), but with 2 small children to consider this would be a risky option...If it was just the two of us we'd just do it no question...but we want a "better life for all the family" and unfortunately that means a secure job for hubby and me being around to do the wifey and mummy bits!!

What a bummer for you! Ham could you look into the degree thing a bit more, like could you study over there in a more flexible way to fit around your family? eg. evenings or distance learning, part time or something?

Also could you get more points for a joint application or do you still need to work more than the 15 hours per week?

I really hope you find a way round this. I hope someone has some good advice or suggestions for you.

J x