Reload this Page >

Feedback please of an idea

Feedback please of an idea

Old Dec 16th 2005, 4:41 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feedback please of an idea

Originally Posted by Jeztechs
Hi to all

I am just asking for a little feedback to an idea I am pursuing to help prospective guys like yourself a better insight to life in Oz.

I made the move from Southampton around 4 years ago...loved every minute of life here until my wife unfortunately had a bad brain injury which has left her paralysed and our lives have had to re-adjust.

My idea revolves around offering more insiders information on life in Australia by way of DVD's purchased through a dynamic website (I am a web designer). There is plenty of video type media concentrating on the more tourist aspects of Oz....but I feel (as was in my case before entering Australia) that the following up to date live footage DVD's would be most helpful:

I want to produce various DVD's for the most popular immigration destinations.......each DVD would contain footage from a broad range of housing areas, inside house views together with the housing prices...walk about footage of various suburbs/areas including shopping centres, schools, people, leisure facilities, clubs, pubs, restaurants, hospitals, parks, beaches etc.......way of life including people, fashion, furniture (yes its different), transport (cars and types), wildlife. Local literature will accompany the DVD's containing up to date job marts. housing brochures, cars for sale etc.

The list goes on but will include actual footage you want to see to help make up your mind of any given area......I can remember those 4 years ago back in the UK of wanting so much to see what an Aussie house looked like inside and what I actual could get with my money before setting foot here.

If I feel there may be a market...I intend to allow users to request an actual suburb/area anywhere in Oz if they know a particular area they wish to concentrate on.

OK...many thanks for reading this far...I would be so grateful if you could just reply with a few words stating if you would find a service such as this of definite interest to you (or not).......THIS is by no way of a sale.....you will be over here before something like this actually got off the ground, but your input would go a very long way into my decision.

Thanks for you time and good luck with your immigration process....if its any consolation....no matter what people say...in our case we would never return to the UK.

Kind regards
Jeremy
Jeremy
Firstly I would like to say I am very sorry to read that your wife suffered a brain injury, how reassuring to us newly arrived people though that despite this you are still happy in Oz and will stay for the rest of your life as I think this is something that crosses all our minds as to what would we do if something like this or worse happened to one of our family.

Secondly I really do believe that your idea is a great one, I myself would have snapped one up as I really couldn't get enough reading material or TV programmes about moving to Oz. You will see for yourself on this site that if ever one of those programmes about moving to Oz was on tv in the UK then someone would make a thread on here and everyone was grateful as we were all in the same boat and wanted as much info as possible. To have a DVD where I could have seen areas and housing etc etc would have been right up my street.

In fact would probably still buy one as I am on the case of one of my friends still in England to follow us out here

Good Luck
Sharon
Old Dec 16th 2005, 4:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Along with everyone else I think it's a fab idea. Hope you get it off the ground before someone else does.

I would have loved to have searched the Gold Coast without leaving home. Obviously it still takes research once you are here but the sort of info you are thinking about would be a godsend.

I don't know if you have seen the books Chantal Dunbar has done on Gold Coast and Greater Brisbane - they are a very similar idea (only in book form obviously). It may be worth getting in contact with her - very friendly and might be able to help.

Good luck with the venture.

Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope life is a good as you can make it.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 4:59 am
ABCDiamond

Hi to all

I am just asking for a little feedback to an idea I am pursuing to help prospective guys like yourself a better insight to life in Oz.

Jeremy
Some interesting replies...

When I did my video, I considered selling it, but thought... no.. can't imagine anyone would be interested.

Just off to ebay now

Old Dec 16th 2005, 5:04 am
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Along with everyone else I think it's a fab idea. Hope you get it off the ground before someone else does.

I would have loved to have searched the Gold Coast without leaving home. Obviously it still takes research once you are here but the sort of info you are thinking about would be a godsend.

I don't know if you have seen the books Chantal Dunbar has done on Gold Coast and Greater Brisbane - they are a very similar idea (only in book form obviously). It may be worth getting in contact with her - very friendly and might be able to help.

Good luck with the venture.

Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope life is a good as you can make it.
I got a book before I came over by a guy called Hampshire (I think) about emigrating to Oz, it was most informative and I absorbed every detail but as soon as I got here it proved almost useless because it was for the WHOLE country and not area specific i.e I was sure the car dealer was pulling my leg when he told me that there is no MOT in WA when I had read that there were MOT's in Oz (but these were eastern states). It is very difficult to get some of these impressions over in whichever medium, sometimes you just have to get there and discover it yourself. I also found it particularly difficult to get something like a decent street directory/map of the Perth metro area showing the suburbs as I looked online at housing but didn't have a clue where any of them were!

I also subscribed to The West for 6 months which they mailed overseas to me so I could get an idea of the prices for food and furniture etc. I know that you can access it online but they don't show the ad's ($x per kg for chicken in Action/Woollies/Coles etc) and thats the bit I want to see! Also good for car prices, housing, rentals, jobs etc

MC
Old Dec 16th 2005, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I remember someone on here who used to promote a home-made DVD on Melbourne, some time ago. Included driving around the streets etc.
You could get it on ebay.

Link to a thread that discusses it - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...elbourne+video
Old Dec 16th 2005, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Jeztechs has a spectacular aura aboutJeztechs has a spectacular aura aboutJeztechs has a spectacular aura about

Hi to all,

Thanks very much to all your encouragement to my posting.

Things are in motion.........to get the whole thing going to include the whole of Australia (popular destinations) is a vast job and much planning.....however, ideas are in place.

A few of you have given mention to my wife Maria...I thank you for that.
After 2 years into our new lives here and enjoying everything we done, my wife had a ruptured aneurysm from absolutely no where. I had not even heard of an Aneurysm at that stage...it was just like a TV soap programme...the doctor took me and my son into a room and told me she would probably not survive the night. She did but not without being disabled on the left hand side and wheelchair bound if we go out. After 4 months in rehab and hard struggle (you cannot imagine the complications) we are coming to terms with all of this...I had to give up my full time job.....Oh I could go on.

Any, once again thanks for the encouragement.

Kind regards
Jeremy
Old Dec 16th 2005, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Great idea mate, put me down for Fig tree pocket, Brissie!

thing is, how the ***** are you going to it? presumably to do even 1 city's suburbs such as brisbane would take weeks or even months to do, and that's say your local city that you know things about. logistical nightmare mate.
It's not like you can do them to order at first and then keep for the next customer cos then you'd be doing say 1 suburb in perth, then 1 in brissie, then 1 in melbourne.

BTW - sorry to hear about the missus, hope she's ok.

Andy

PS - good luck.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

I too once thought of doing something like this but as I haven't moved there yet looks like you've beaten me to it, Oh well!

What I had in mind to get around the logistics of such a vast country was to advertise for video footage of local areas. You could ask local people in each city you needed info on, to film the things you listed above, and pay so much per minute of footage according to what you can afford or what you think it would be worth. Maybe you could pay them a royalty type of payment based on sales if you include their footage, that way you'd avoid the upfront costs. Nearly everyone these days has a video camera so worth a try.

You could then edit it to your requirements and produce something worthwhile. Don't worry that most of this would be amateur semi-professional footage, editing can work wonders and for this type of DVD I don't think people would be too bothered as long as it was informative.

As many people have said, when we are migrating we are willing to absorb as much info as possible and we'd rather have a truthful, factual DVD than a TV program edited to get good TV audiences.

Maybe you could also track down some newly arrived ex-pats and ask them to film their experiences as they settle in and you could add that too.

Good luck, I hope it does well, you deserve it!

Phil
Old Dec 16th 2005, 10:48 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to all

I made the move from Southampton around 4 years ago...loved every minute of life here until my wife unfortunately had a bad brain injury which has left her paralysed and our lives have had to re-adjust.

My idea revolves around offering more insiders information on life in Australia by way of DVD's purchased through a dynamic website (I am a web designer). There is plenty of video type media concentrating on the more tourist aspects of Oz....but I feel (as was in my case before entering Australia) that the following up to date live footage DVD's would be most helpful:

I want to produce various DVD's for the most popular immigration destinations.......each DVD would contain footage from a broad range of housing areas, inside house views together with the housing prices...walk about footage of various suburbs/areas including shopping centres, schools, people, leisure facilities, clubs, pubs, restaurants, hospitals, parks, beaches etc.......way of life including people, fashion, furniture (yes its different), transport (cars and types), wildlife. Local literature will accompany the DVD's containing up to date job marts. housing brochures, cars for sale etc.

The list goes on but will include actual footage you want to see to help make up your mind of any given area......I can remember those 4 years ago back in the UK of wanting so much to see what an Aussie house looked like inside and what I actual could get with my money before setting foot here.

If I feel there may be a market...I intend to allow users to request an actual suburb/area anywhere in Oz if they know a particular area they wish to concentrate on.

OK...many thanks for reading this far...I would be so grateful if you could just reply with a few words stating if you would find a service such as this of definite interest to you (or not).......THIS is by no way of a sale.....you will be over here before something like this actually got off the ground, but your input would go a very long way into my decision.

Thanks for you time and good luck with your immigration process....if its any consolation....no matter what people say...in our case we would never return to the UK.

Kind regards
Jeremy
Jeremy,

Did you used to visit expats back then as well. It's just I remember someone who used to be on in 2002 who was a web designer. Gave us a bit of help then. Good idea about the DVD but will need to read your post more.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 16th 2005, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it, but hurry up I havent a clue where I want to settle
Seriously, If you do go ahead best of luck hope it goes well