Reload this Page >

Feedback from Perth

Wikiposts

Feedback from Perth

Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:54 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feedback from Perth

Originally Posted by DianeOZ
The aussies all have their own lives and circles of friends and I think it takes a while to break into those groups.

Diane

I wouldn't say that is limited to Australia - I think that is extremely descriptive of Somerset!!! Probably of the entire world...
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:03 am
Merlot

Be interesting to see how Jo is feeling now as this was written back in August 2004.

M

Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jo,

Interesting posting. I lived in Perth when I first came over here. I loved the place and the people, but I found jobs very difficult to come by. Therefore, I moved to Sydney where I've been for over two years. My advice... don't ever be tempted to give up Perth for Sydney!

Personally, I found people in Perth far more friendlier than Sydney, which I find quite unfriendly. Everywhere I've stayed (about 6 places) the neighbours face would crack if they tried a smile. In fact, people are barely polite. However, I'm sure other people have had a different experience.

As, for the Sydney driving, well, you would think cars were invented last week. Roundabouts are often like stand-off in Dodge City as the drivers can't grasp the rule of giving way to the right. Indicators don't seem to be standard in most cars either. The 'blind-spot' has yet to be discovered yet here.

It also seems to have an appalling violent crime rate.

Needless to say, my plans are to return to Perth in a few years and be satisfied with a more modest lifestyle.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Cousins will become famous soon enough

Hi All

This is a bit of an old thread as you will all see but nevertheless thought that i would give an update in response to you guys. Having lived in perth for around 18 months i can now say that i see it in a much more positive light and it certainly is a great place to bring up families and live the outdoor life with the great weather and of course beaches and kings park. However, on the downside, it is hard to find work in perth and it certainly is true that you should never leave a job on bad terms as everyone knows everyone in perth - no exaggeration - with it being such a small country type town.

I have since left perth and am now living in brisbane which i have to say that i love. It is very similar to perth in a lot of ways - similar outdoor lifestyle and small city - but a lot more friendlier (people are quite narrow minded and clickey in perth) and heaps easier to get a job and move around and establish more of a career.

I would never discourage anyone to go to perth as it really is a great place to live but if you are a couple or single it doesnt really have that much to offer unless you just want to sit out by the water and drink all day - which of course has its bonuses too but still....for now i am more than happy on the east coast as there is much more here and it is nice to be able to hop onto a plane and be in sydney or cairns within a couple of hours.

speak soon
jo x

Originally Posted by Kangablue
Hi Jo,

Interesting posting. I lived in Perth when I first came over here. I loved the place and the people, but I found jobs very difficult to come by. Therefore, I moved to Sydney where I've been for over two years. My advice... don't ever be tempted to give up Perth for Sydney!

Personally, I found people in Perth far more friendlier than Sydney, which I find quite unfriendly. Everywhere I've stayed (about 6 places) the neighbours face would crack if they tried a smile. In fact, people are barely polite. However, I'm sure other people have had a different experience.

As, for the Sydney driving, well, you would think cars were invented last week. Roundabouts are often like stand-off in Dodge City as the drivers can't grasp the rule of giving way to the right. Indicators don't seem to be standard in most cars either. The 'blind-spot' has yet to be discovered yet here.

It also seems to have an appalling violent crime rate.

Needless to say, my plans are to return to Perth in a few years and be satisfied with a more modest lifestyle.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 5:10 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Jo Cousins
Hi All

This is a bit of an old thread as you will all see but nevertheless thought that i would give an update in response to you guys. Having lived in perth for around 18 months i can now say that i see it in a much more positive light and it certainly is a great place to bring up families and live the outdoor life with the great weather and of course beaches and kings park. However, on the downside, it is hard to find work in perth and it certainly is true that you should never leave a job on bad terms as everyone knows everyone in perth - no exaggeration - with it being such a small country type town.

I have since left perth and am now living in brisbane which i have to say that i love. It is very similar to perth in a lot of ways - similar outdoor lifestyle and small city - but a lot more friendlier (people are quite narrow minded and clickey in perth) and heaps easier to get a job and move around and establish more of a career.

I would never discourage anyone to go to perth as it really is a great place to live but if you are a couple or single it doesnt really have that much to offer unless you just want to sit out by the water and drink all day - which of course has its bonuses too but still....for now i am more than happy on the east coast as there is much more here and it is nice to be able to hop onto a plane and be in sydney or cairns within a couple of hours.

speak soon
jo x
Nice update, best of luck
Merlot

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

I too would love to hear feedback on the whole families culture of Perth. Myself and my husband are just at the beginning of our immigration journey having just applied for skills assessment. I am a midwife and my husband is an intensive care nurse. We are hoping to be in Perth next year. One of my concerns is that initially I wont be working, we have two young boys, a 3 year old and a 1 year old - are there playgrops and such like where i can meet other mums and my children can find playmates be them aussie or expats?? Isolation for all of us would be hell Thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:45 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xgeminix
As one half of the couple who posted recently about driving on our visit to Perth, I was just wondering how you cope with weaving in and out of parked cars all day... getting stuck behind tractors and lorries......... being tailed by drivers with their bumpers an inch away from yours........ drunk drivers who hit you side on..... winding roads non stop for 40 miles........ oh and spending at least 20 minutes driving round and round trying to find a parking space at the shopping centre.
You certainly are not gonna get tractors or windy roads in the Perth Burbs

As for the 20 mins to find a park, if you want one in the shade at the local shopping center it could be way longer As for the rest of it, you don't get them in Australia right

Jo i'm glad to hear you settled and happy. As many say its a big place and not everywhere is right for everyone
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 1:24 pm
You'll learn............

Desperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Feedback from Perth

(people are quite narrow minded and clickey in perth)
I am very surprised you have said this about Perth, because I find it the complete opposite. All we have ever encountered are very friendly, helpful people, it's one of the reasons we love it here

We are not just friends with the Expats either, we actually have more Oz friends!

I am not criticising you, I just wanted to give the other viewpoint to people waiting to come.

I am a firm believer in you reap what you sow.

Jill
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Jo Cousins]Hi All

JOBS – Do NOT expect to be able to walk straight into a job, and certainly if you have a high flying career in the UK, do not expect that you will be able to establish that same status here, without a lot of hard work and competition. Although I know this will not apply for everyone, for people such as myself (secretaries/admin/PA) just be prewarned that it is not as simple as just walking into an agency and landing a job the next day. I found the attitude a bit negative from some agencies and kind of got the impression that Australian applicants would be looked at first (fair enough I guess) , and was even told by one ‘to take what you are given seeing as are in Australia’!! Charming I am sure! Also be pre warned that Perth is quite small in comparison to places such as London, Leeds etc, and although you are moving here for that, the fact that the high flying jobs are not as readily available may be frustrating for some.

I had to laugh one agency told me I needed "Perth Experience" now what the hell does that mean - still have not figured it out - however I got a job pretty quickly (PA) and work for a great company - but do generally find the people there a bit strange in the sense that the Aussies do not seem to like greeting people say when they arrrive at the office in the morning - where I come from we are very friendly and I say hi to all as I make my way to my desk - they all seem to look at me a bit strangely almost like I am from another planet
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:13 pm
Merlot

I think the thread highlights that we are all very different people with different needs. I think feedback from people is very important yet I don't think that it would influence anyones final decision.

I loved Sydney but my Husband was not a great fan. We moved 1 hour north to the NSW Central Coast, husband loved it, I felt like I had landed on another planet. I felt like I had entered smallsville and everything was shut after 10 pm. We lived there 3 years in the end, I made friends, got a great job and got on with it. I often wonder if I had remained in Sydney, would my longing to return to the UK have kicked in? I will never know and have no regrets.

I have many times slated the Central Coast but in my learned wisdom realised I should provide my own feedback but mindful that many other are very happy there and would highly recommend it. Horses for courses.

Jo you seem very happy where you are, I think you should commend yourself for giving another part of Australia a go, many others may have given up or even returned to the UK.

Karma on its way to you Jo and thanks for sharing

M

Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

tobyabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I am new to this forum but thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I have been living in perth for nearly 5 years. Moved from South Wales UK with my ex boyfriend. We had $6,000 in funds, 2 suitcases and no idea whether to turn left or right when we reached the airport. I truly believe that you reap what you sow. Since living here I have met several people who have migrated from the UK with more money than sense and only last a few months before going home. They have sold the house, car dog and kids and moved to Perth with very high hopes. IT DOESN'T HAPPEN!!!!. I found a job within 3 weeks of arriving here and thankfully am still employed and own my own home. It wasn't easy but I always had the belief that there is no turning back. I now have lots of Aussie friends and NZ friends and would never go back to the UK. Actually went home last year for 10 days to see family. After 7 days I wanted to bring my flight forward so I could go 'home'. As for other aspects of Perth, yes I agree that Perth drivers cannot drive. Roundabouts confuse the hell out of them. Merging lanes is just too hard and if you are on the freeway when it is raining - get off it and wait until it stops because everyone lives on their brakes. I have been to other cities around Australia and personally think Perth is perfect (for me). At the end of the day it is just like any other town/city around the world. It is up to you whether you make it a nice place or a not so nice place. If you are coming here then good luck and am always happy to help if I can.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 11:39 pm
roorooney

roorooney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi tobyabe,

Many thanks for your positive feedback on Perth - at last! My husband and I are waiting to move to Perth - we won't have visited there before and so like you will be getting off the plane not knowing where we going! We hope to be out there early next year and so any advice you have would be gratefully received. He is an electrician and I am a secretary. We live in London and am just desperate to get out. Glad to here you're happy there and have settled in well!
RUTH ROONEY
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:53 pm
jackie

Hi All

Well having been in sunny Perth for just approx 7 months now, thought I would post a bit of feedback on the site, as I found this very useful prior to our arrival here.

Just some things to think of;

JOBS – Do NOT expect to be able to walk straight into a job, and certainly if you have a high flying career in the UK, do not expect that you will be able to establish that same status here, without a lot of hard work and competition. Although I know this will not apply for everyone, for people such as myself (secretaries/admin/PA) just be prewarned that it is not as simple as just walking into an agency and landing a job the next day. I found the attitude a bit negative from some agencies and kind of got the impression that Australian applicants would be looked at first (fair enough I guess) , and was even told by one ‘to take what you are given seeing as are in Australia’!! Charming I am sure! Also be pre warned that Perth is quite small in comparison to places such as London, Leeds etc, and although you are moving here for that, the fact that the high flying jobs are not as readily available may be frustrating for some.

COMMUNICATIONS – As mentioned above, Perth is relatively small in comparison to UK cities, and along with this goes the hand in hand fact that a lot of people know a lot of people!! I have only been in 2 jobs here, but already have the impression that it is not necessarily always what u know but who you know..could be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on how you look at it!

FRIENDS – A lot of people on this forum, seem to have mentioned how easy it is to make friends…perhaps we are just looking in the wrong places if that is the case!! Altho the Ozzies are generally on the whole very friendly, we have not as yet encountered any invites for barbies, or parties!! However..no doubt this will come with time…

PETS – for all those with pets who are considering or are actually bringing them over with you, just to let u know that we brought our 3 moggies with us. They arrived all fit and well and have fit into the Ozzie lifestyle relatively quickly – although I guess sleeping, eating and sleeping is the same the world over!! It is true however that Ozzies are not the greatest fans of cats so remember to try to keep them in at night and get them tagged and collared and away from trouble as much as possible!

DRIVING – please be prewarned that Perth drivers are ALL lunatics. A little while ago I read a posting on the site about a couple who had visited Perth and were saying about the roads and freeways being so great to drive on and the drivers being so courteous...all I can say is that they obviously were not around in rush hour…and in fact were obviously not in Perth at all!! When I first hit the roads out here I was absolutely petrified…there are no gaps in any traffic and u literally take ur life in ur hands when changing lanes!! I have got used to it now, but just thought I would mention it for the fearful of driving!! Not that I am trying to scare you or anything!!

Not much else for now..oh unless of course I forgot to mention the sun (although not at the mo!), the beach, Kings Park, and the great exchange rate coming over from the UK!
Hi Joe my first visit to the forum iam jackie and still in liverpool but hoping to emigrate next year with my husband and three children. Had you visited oz before you went out?