Feedback

Old Feb 28th 2003, 10:21 am
Just Joined

thnx4allthefish is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Feedback

Hi,

I first came across this site a few weeks ago, and have found it very useful in answering alot of my questions. My wife and I are currently waiting for our VISA, which we are both looking forward to. The only thing is this site is now throwing doubts into my mind, quite a few of the people in OZ seem not to be enjoying it, and the people who are in the UK seem very excited at the prospect of going. My wife has two brothers living in Brisbane, and we visited last year, but had already put our application in before we went, and to be honest I wasn't blown away, but I could see alot of things which I'd like to explore more. I keep giving myself a pep talk i.e. If I don't give it a try I'll never know, and I'll probably regret that more. How about anyone else ?

Andy
Old Feb 28th 2003, 11:31 am
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feedback

Hi

I've said this before and I'll say it again. We all want a balanced view of life in Oz but there are one or two people on here who just want to spoil everyone's tea break, and this is exactly what has been winding me up so much recently. Don't take too much notice of it and don't let it put you off. I could say I was there last year, loved it and can't wait to move, but the bottom line is you have to decide for yourself and give it a go. I believe that some of the stuff you have been reading could be true, but a lot of it is unneccasarily negative and pessimistic. Stick around and you will hear a lot of good reports as well. (Have a look at Garland' recent post about Perth - a very different picture to the one painted by Pommie Bastard) You are dead right when you say you'll never know unless you try it. If it doesn't work out you can always say so long and thanks for all the fish! Good Luck!

Andy

Originally posted by thnx4allthefish
Hi,

I first came across this site a few weeks ago, and have found it very useful in answering alot of my questions. My wife and I are currently waiting for our VISA, which we are both looking forward to. The only thing is this site is now throwing doubts into my mind, quite a few of the people in OZ seem not to be enjoying it, and the people who are in the UK seem very excited at the prospect of going. My wife has two brothers living in Brisbane, and we visited last year, but had already put our application in before we went, and to be honest I wasn't blown away, but I could see alot of things which I'd like to explore more. I keep giving myself a pep talk i.e. If I don't give it a try I'll never know, and I'll probably regret that more. How about anyone else ?

Andy
Old Feb 28th 2003, 11:47 am
Just Joined

thnx4allthefish is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

Your one of the people who I find posts balanced answers, and it's hard to guage off this site how much experience people have of OZ. My personal experience is a 4 week stay, but I have a Wife who lived there for over 10 years, and her parents who have had two separate emigrations and returned twice who have given me their view.

At the end of the day It won't change anything. This site is like putting a walnut out to stop a steamroller, It won't stop us going, though it just throws a few doubts in as to what lies ahead.

Andy
Old Feb 28th 2003, 12:04 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Just think - if you ignored everything PB has to 'say' you can then take a balanced view of your future. Good luck with it australia is superb - England is good:lecture:
Old Feb 28th 2003, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah - a balanced view is the key. Both England and Oz have a lot to offer and are both countries that many would be migrants want to live in. Neither is absolutely perfick though and you may have to decide what you want out of life. If you are a person with go and a taste for a different way of life you should consider going. Why think that it is necessarily for your whole life - it is a shame to map your life out and think whoops I can't come back as it has cost me £xxx. Have a go if you feel like taking that risk. It's not like the old £10 pom days when it was much more difficult to travel. If you are running away from problems that are within yourself (ie depression, negativity, greed or whatever) these will follow you wherever you are. But life is a risk and should be a challenge. What am I going for - well - some space, some sunshine and blue skies, some wilderness and some fresh challenge. As many other say its not the things you do that you regret - it's what you don't do.

Ee
Old Feb 28th 2003, 5:24 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

We are mostly harmless, can't tell you about life, the universe and everything and the answer to your questions isn't 42. But we will try and answer most of them. Ask me about emmigrating, but life, don't talk to me about life.

Steve.
Old Feb 28th 2003, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

tobesters is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2 cents on it is that it may depend on what you're like as a person. I know a good few friends who have relocated in Australia and they absolutely love it, the thing they all have in common is good humour combined with an appreciation and command of sarcasm and cynicism, but not a surplus of it that makes them a pain to be with. They also have a love of the outdoors and a go-get-em attitude. These are all things that would be nausiating to a cynic but when they come as second nature make you a flexible and adaptable person.

I'm not trying to damn those people who don't have these qualities or those who get energised through cynacism and dwelling on the negative, but it's my experience that combined with a little luck, these things will get you through and make you stronger in the face of adversity.

Good luck in what ever you decide!

Toby

ps. I'm not always this positive, but our stuff got shipped to NZ yesterday and our cat is flying out tomorrow and I'm quite excited about moving now!
Old Feb 28th 2003, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

someone help-second thoughts posted by gillian had quite a few good replies, worth a read.

cheers
karen and andy