Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fed up with trying to sell house-going to let instead

Fed up with trying to sell house-going to let instead

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

cat5 will become famous soon enoughcat5 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Fed up with trying to sell house-going to let instead

Having had our house up for sale for nearly a year now, dropping the price twice, and only having one offer(from someone who hasn't put there property on the market yet!) we have decided to let it out.

Seems like the smaller properties are selling, but we have so much competition with our 4 bed, that there is just too much choice for the buyers!

Going to rent first for year or so anyway, plus the exchange rate is crap, maybe in the long run it is the best choice after all!

Melbourne here we come!!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed up with trying to sell house-going to let instead

We plan to do the same... Partly as we are locked into mortagage until it finishes in 8 yrs and would incur financial penalties and partly as we have little pension provision... Renting our house would pay for itself mortgage/management/repairs/all the hidden extras you get with renting out a property..We are planning to start from scratch in Oz... rent to start and see how we go...
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eddie007
We plan to do the same... Partly as we are locked into mortagage until it finishes in 8 yrs and would incur financial penalties and partly as we have little pension provision... Renting our house would pay for itself mortgage/management/repairs/all the hidden extras you get with renting out a property..We are planning to start from scratch in Oz... rent to start and see how we go...

Hubby and I are also starting from scratch in a rental house. We used the capitol from the house to help us move, didn't go far lol. I will send you some karma to wish you luck.

Katie
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 8:11 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Not an easy decision to make is it ?

We were in the same situation not being able to sell so rented and are renting here. I really had to get moving as I was on a 457 temp sponsored visa and the employer was getting impatient.

It's a personal choice but my advice would be to hold off until you can sell before emmigrating if you can.
Some of the biggest ass aches in paperwork have been due to the fact we still have a UK property.
Been lucky so far with a good agent and tennant though.

Have a read of this which may help.......

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280955
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:57 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably stating the obvious, but make sure you are happy with all the tax consequences (UK and Australia) if you decide to retain and let out a UK property when you move.

For example, there are income tax and capital gains tax issues in both countries, and Inheritance Tax in the UK ...

There are some free tax factsheets available here, which might be of interest:
http://www.collettandco.com/factsheet.cfm

Best regards.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

eddie002, looks like that makes two of us, good luck!

Thanks for the info Bix, and i do agree with you it would be better to sell, but we feel our lives have been on hold for so long now, even if we did have an offer we could be in a long chain and there's no guarantee it will sell at the end anyway......enough is enough!!

Alan, thanks for your interest, in fact i realise the tax complications we are going to get, and we would like to get some professional advice,so i will make contact with your company soon,.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bix
We were in the same situation not being able to sell so rented and are renting here. I really had to get moving as I was on a 457 temp sponsored visa and the employer was getting impatient.

It's a personal choice but my advice would be to hold off until you can sell before emmigrating if you can.
Some of the biggest ass aches in paperwork have been due to the fact we still have a UK property.
Been lucky so far with a good agent and tennant though.
I'd second this. We had to leave property for rental event though we were losing 100's a month on rent because we have a short term mortgage and couldn't realise enough rent even without agents fees.

The paperwork you need to continue with has been my biggest irritant and how I'd have coped without my mum getting helping us with paperwork, paying bills, etc. I don't know.

It's so frustrating and you can't set down proper roots. We don't know where we'll move to when we're buying because the rental market is so different from the buyers market.

Our two biggest concerns still are getting our permanent visas and selling the house.

Having said this we made the best decision for us at the time. Just wish we'd been able to accept the ridiculously low offer which was soon withdrawn.

Good luck
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 5:15 pm
ROO
Just Joined

ROO will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cat5
Having had our house up for sale for nearly a year now, dropping the price twice, and only having one offer(from someone who hasn't put there property on the market yet!) we have decided to let it out.

Seems like the smaller properties are selling, but we have so much competition with our 4 bed, that there is just too much choice for the buyers!

Going to rent first for year or so anyway, plus the exchange rate is crap, maybe in the long run it is the best choice after all!

Melbourne here we come!!!!

Im in the same boat as yourself, my house has been on the market since last december, sold twice and fallen through twice just days before the exchange both times (had signed the contracts both times too). its not just larger houses, mines a 2 bed starter size.
I have now just rented it this week. when i go i shall leave the power of attourney to sell with my solicitor and will try and sell again in a year or so.
Hopefully the market will be more stable and the exchange rates better then
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 6:54 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Its definately a buyers market at the moment, the valuation surveyor has down valued my house at the moment so the buyer wants even more money off, the valuer is just being over cautious for fear of a crash, it doesn't help me though..
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ROO
Im in the same boat as yourself, my house has been on the market since last december, sold twice and fallen through twice just days before the exchange both times (had signed the contracts both times too). its not just larger houses, mines a 2 bed starter size.
I have now just rented it this week. when i go i shall leave the power of attourney to sell with my solicitor and will try and sell again in a year or so.
Hopefully the market will be more stable and the exchange rates better then
And we thought we was having trouble! the market really seems to be with the buyers at the moment, not worth chasing a falling market, we have made our minds up now to 'let', might be a blessing in disguise!....who knows what will happen in the future!!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:20 pm
ROO
Just Joined

ROO will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cat5
And we thought we was having trouble! the market really seems to be with the buyers at the moment, not worth chasing a falling market, we have made our minds up now to 'let', might be a blessing in disguise!....who knows what will happen in the future!!

Youre right i dropped the price on mine 3 times, and im not going to sell and let them make 30 000+ straight away just because the buyers know im trying to leave the country. Hope things all work out well for you.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ROO
Youre right i dropped the price on mine 3 times, and im not going to sell and let them make 30 000+ straight away just because the buyers know im trying to leave the country. Hope things all work out well for you.
Cheers, have already booked tickets, leaving in Jan, instructing another agent to put it up for Letting out, good thing about letting your house is you can advertise with as many agents as you like, only the one who finds the tenant gets the commission........all we've got to now is find a tenant before we go :scared: