British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   fed up with this site slagging off uk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/fed-up-site-slagging-off-uk-109003/)

plumber38uk Jun 23rd 2002 10:48 am

fed up with this site slagging off uk

I can only apologize to anyone looking at this site from outside uk.Too you uk must seem from what you ,ve read,a hostile ,crime ritten place thats going down the pan. beleave it or not if you come over to visit,please don,t think I,ve seen london and that,s it.uk is so much more than that,there are still the rolling hill,s,beautfull places to visit etc. The uk s still a great place to live,and a great place to visit,don,t forget alot of your history starts here.FED UP OF WINGING POM,S and i,m a pom.

lizzie Jun 23rd 2002 1:34 pm

Re: fed up with this site slagging off uk

I don't think people would be visiting this site if they were content living in the UK as I thought it was a ng for people interested in migrating.

We live in a very beautiful part of the UK but that doesn't make everything OK - it still rains for a large part of the year, there still aren't job opportunities and not much of a future for our children, not to mention an increase in crime, our towns are becoming more and more deprived. I look around at the people in our local town and they seem very 'grey' to me - downtrodden and hopeless. Not wanting to become political (because I'm not at all) but the Govt. show little sign of making things better for everyone here. All we want to do is seize the opportunity to try something different - a new way of life and hopefully a better way of life, who knows. If it sounds as though we are whingeing, I suppose it is because we are trying to concentrate on the positive aspects of migrating to a new country and a way of doing that is by dwelling on what is wrong in this country. We want to go to NZ and I've been told by people who live there that it's the same sh*t as here but on a smaller scale (fewer people, larger area etc) so we are happy to give it a go - eyes wide open and all.

I assume that as you are looking on this site you too are thinking of migrating, if so, where and what are your particular reasons?

Regards

Lizzie

ywoods Jun 23rd 2002 4:08 pm

Well said Lizzie!

I am also a POM obviously, and I have a 15 year old son. My main reason of moving to Aus is because I met a wonderful man and due to his family situation we are moving there. There is a whole new world out there waiting to be discovered. My son has no future here, London is not an ideal place for kids, but there is not much going on around the UK either. We are both looking forward to a new start (visa permitting) in Aus and my son is already waving good bye to this place we never fondly called home.

I am not going to Aus for the weather, the weather here does not bother me at all, as it is, it is not to dissimiliar to VIC anyways, but yes the space and sporting opportunities for my son are a real headturner.

I am sorry Mr Plumber of 38 years that you do not appreciate the way people put down the UK, but it has slightly depreciated over the years to leave a country not worth thinking about again if you are given the opportunity to turn your back. Of course if I go, I will be back, but it wont be for the filth on the streets, the lack of schooling, the NHS or the Government (and many other things) but it will be to visit my dearest friends and family that I am going to have to leave behind in order for me to pursue my new life with my newly acquired family.

Yvonne

plumber38uk Jun 23rd 2002 4:44 pm

Yes I am trying to immigrate to oz. But I don,t regret and I am not ashamed of where I come from .uk is still a great country to live in and there are plenty of job,s if you want one.

shaun/lor Jun 23rd 2002 9:45 pm

well theres bound to be an element of people on this site who have had all they can take of this country, but like yourself and myself, and probably plenty of others out there, its not because we dont like england as a country that were leaving, there are probebly a hundred diffrent resons for going but whats the point of writing about how wonderfull england is and then saying oh by the way im leaving to live in australia.
your right there are some beut spots in britain but there are also slums drugs poor schools highly built up urban areas, polution in our waterways and seas. high unemployment, and a crumbling nhs system to name but a few things. (was i talking about england, oz, america, or any number of countrys?)well some people cope better by telling themselves that what they have isnt good and were there going should be better, or else why go? so dont be too hard on em. everyone is entiteld to there opinion. shaun xx

Winnie Jun 24th 2002 10:23 am

"plumber38uk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I can only apologize to anyone looking at this site from outside uk.Too you uk
    > must seem from what you ,ve read,a hostile ,crime ritten place thats going down
    > the pan. beleave it or not if you come over to visit,please don,t think I,ve seen
    > london and that,s it.uk is so much more than that,there are still the rolling
    > hill,s,beautfull places to visit etc. The uk s still a great place to live,and a
    > great place to visit,don,t forget alot of your history starts here.FED UP OF
    > WINGING POM,S and i,m a pom.

Right then, here are a few objective views from some british expats:

UK: Ripped off (not paid for work done) by ex employer, who turned out to be a serial
conman Not allowed by council to renovate old house, but forced to turn it into a
modern cardboard box. Road raged Car rammed several times by people not looking or
just blind or stupid. Roads too busy to cycle or ride on. Try driving anywhere in
northern england on a sunday. Houses too expensive, land even more so. Property
vandalised, personal abuse, from yoofs. Parents on yobs side. Can't trust anyone -
too many are out to rip you off. Tap water undrinkable (recycled wee) Can't park your
car anywhere without it getting nicked or vandalised. Just crime!!! eg Bradford,
London, Glasgow, Belfast, Manchester, LIVERPOOL etc etc. Tony Blair. Price of fuel.
NHS waiting lists Pensions (wot pensions) "Where there's blame there's a claim" The
other PM, George W Bush Low flying jets Houses jammed so close to each other you can
hear your neighbours breathe (and scream). Classic example: friends' road to housing
estate was so narrow that fire engines couldn't get up it. Telesales calls Nuclear
power stations Rude aggressive people

NZ: None of the above.

Sure we're having fun recalling all the things we don't miss about the UK,
but why not?

Cheers Winnie

Terry R Brookin Jun 24th 2002 10:24 am

Well I'm not a pom and I can categorically and objectively (<g>) state that England
is a dreadful place to live! <vbg>
--
Regards -Terry "plumber38uk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I can only apologize to anyone looking at this site from outside uk.Too you uk
    > must seem from what you ,ve read,a hostile ,crime ritten place thats going down
    > the pan. beleave it or not if you come over to visit,please don,t think I,ve seen
    > london and that,s it.uk is so much more than that,there are still the rolling
    > hill,s,beautfull places to visit etc. The uk s still a great place to live,and a
    > great place to visit,don,t forget alot of your history starts here.FED UP OF
    > WINGING POM,S and i,m a pom.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Terry R Brookin Jun 24th 2002 12:20 pm

> Telesales calls Rude aggressive people

I think they have both these in NZ as well! :)

> Tony Blair.

Helen whatshername? <g>

--
Regards -Terry

Winnie Jun 24th 2002 12:20 pm

"Terry R Brooking" <[email protected].> wrote in message
news:ASBR8.10363$VP6.777709@stones...
    > > Telesales calls Rude aggressive people
    >
    > I think they have both these in NZ as well! :)

Eep, I'm off then! Seriously, not had the misfortune of either yet.

>
    > > Tony Blair.
    >
    > Helen whatshername? <g>

At least she says sorry :o)

Cheers Winnie

Thunder Ace Jun 25th 2002 10:20 am

"Winnie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > "plumber38uk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I can only apologize to anyone looking at this site from outside uk.Too you uk
    > > must seem from what you ,ve read,a hostile ,crime ritten place thats going down
    > > the pan. beleave it or not if you come over to visit,please don,t think I,ve seen
    > > london and that,s it.uk is so much more than that,there are still the rolling
    > > hill,s,beautfull places to visit etc. The uk s still a great place to live,and a
    > > great place to visit,don,t forget alot of your history starts here.FED UP OF
    > > WINGING POM,S and i,m a pom.
    >
    > Right then, here are a few objective views from some british expats:
    >
    > UK: Ripped off (not paid for work done) by ex employer, who turned out to be a
    > serial conman
You get these in Oz and NZ

> Not allowed by council to renovate old house, but forced to turn it into a modern
    > cardboard box.

> Road raged
Maybe your driving needs to improve.

> Car rammed several times by people not looking or just blind or stupid.
You get this in Oz and NZ

> Roads too busy to cycle or ride on. Try driving anywhere in northern england on
    > a sunday.
Good point, traffic not so bad in Oz and NZ

> Houses too expensive, land even more so.
No, houses tend to be more expensive than the land on which they are built.

> Property vandalised, personal abuse, from yoofs. Parents on yobs side.
You get this in Oz and NZ, don't know how the levels compare, but it's there in most
societies.

> Can't trust anyone - too many are out to rip you off.
You get some of this in Oz and NZ

> Tap water undrinkable (recycled wee)
No, the tap water has to meet a specified standard, and because of this it is often
better quality than most bottled water which does not have to meet the same standard.
I think the tap water is not generally as good in Oz. Don't know about NZ.

> Can't park your car anywhere without it getting nicked or vandalised.
Never had my car nicked, some minor vandalism, not that bad.

> Just crime!!! eg Bradford, London, Glasgow, Belfast, Manchester, LIVERPOOL etc etc.
Yeah, crime is bad, but Oz has plenty of that.

> Tony Blair.
El presidento!

> Price of fuel.
I agree, it's outrageous.

> NHS waiting lists
Makes you wonder where our taxes go.

> Pensions (wot pensions)

> "Where there's blame there's a claim"
Oz is just as bad, I'm sure NZ lawyers aren't advers to making a quick buck either.

> The other PM, George W Bush
He'll exist no matter where you go.

> Low flying jets
Depends on where you live

> Houses jammed so close to each other you can hear your neighbours breathe (and
    > scream). Classic example: friends' road to housing estate was so narrow that fire
    > engines couldn't get up it.
Move.

> Telesales calls
Tell them to piss off, throw if a few "f" words and they won't call back.

> Nuclear power stations
Does Oz not have any, I know NZ doesn't, but what do they use instead. Coal or oil
power? That's not exactly clean.

> Rude aggressive people
You're right there

>
    > NZ: None of the above.
Come on Winnie, be realistic, NZ is not eutopia. If you think it is, you are going to
be dissapointed.
    >
    > Sure we're having fun recalling all the things we don't miss about the UK, but
    > why not?
I'll miss cheap cars and motorbikes, and good pubs. I won't miss much else apart from
friends and family. Oh, frosty winter mornings, I love them.
    >
    > Cheers Winnie

"Objectivity, the curse of the moaning class"

Thunder Ace

Jaj Jun 25th 2002 11:20 am

>On 25 Jun 2002 02:10:53 -0700, [email protected] (Thunder Ace) wrote:
    >> UK: Ripped off (not paid for work done) by ex employer, who turned out to be a
    >> serial conman
    >You get these in Oz and NZ

True.

>
    >> Not allowed by council to renovate old house, but forced to turn it into a modern
    >> cardboard box.

Planning problems can occur in Australia & NZ too.

>
    >> Road raged
    >Maybe your driving needs to improve.
    >
    >> Car rammed several times by people not looking or just blind or stupid.
    >You get this in Oz and NZ

Behaviour of drivers is generally worse than in the UK.

>
    >> Roads too busy to cycle or ride on. Try driving anywhere in northern england on a
    >> sunday.
    >Good point, traffic not so bad in Oz and NZ

Fair point, like for like, traffic is a lot less of a hassle. Even central Sydney is
pretty mild compared to central London.

>
    >> Houses too expensive, land even more so.
    >No, houses tend to be more expensive than the land on which they are built.

When compared to salaries, property isn't quite as cheap as it looks. Especially
given the way prices have inflated in Sydney in the last two or three, although many
believe a correction is on the way.

>
    >> Property vandalised, personal abuse, from yoofs. Parents on yobs side.
    >You get this in Oz and NZ, don't know how the levels compare, but it's there in most
    >societies.

I'd second that.

>
    >> Can't trust anyone - too many are out to rip you off.
    >You get some of this in Oz and NZ

Yes.

>
    >> Tap water undrinkable (recycled wee)
    >No, the tap water has to meet a specified standard, and because of this it is often
    >better quality than most bottled water which does not have to meet the same
    >standard. I think the tap water is not generally as good in Oz. Don't know about NZ.

I think there've been some scares with Sydney tap water in the last couple of years.

>
    >> Can't park your car anywhere without it getting nicked or vandalised.
    >Never had my car nicked, some minor vandalism, not that bad.
    >
    >> Just crime!!! eg Bradford, London, Glasgow, Belfast, Manchester, LIVERPOOL
    >> etc etc.
    >Yeah, crime is bad, but Oz has plenty of that.

Whether on the same scale as the UK is a moot point. There's often as much divergence
in crime rates within countries as between them.

>
    >> Tony Blair.
    >El presidento!

In democratic societies, governments and leaders come and go. It's generally not wise
to select your long-term home on the basis of whether or not you like the incumbent
Prime Minister.

>
    >> Price of fuel.
    >I agree, it's outrageous.

The high fuel price in the UK is a reflection of high taxation.

Australia is on balance a less taxed society than the UK, but in Australia there is
too much emphasis on income tax. A salary of A$60k per year is not enough to make you
rich you are living in Sydney, but your marginal tax rate is close to 50% above that
point. Plus, in Australia governments do not routinely increase income tax bands and
allowances in line with inflation - there was effectively a slight increase in income
tax in this year's budget which no-one noticed (for this reason).

All I'm trying to say is that if you do move the level of overall tax is one thing,
but there may be a quite difference balance between different types of tax.

>
    >> NHS waiting lists
    >Makes you wonder where our taxes go.

Healthcare problems are not unique to the UK.

>
    >> Pensions (wot pensions)

Nor are problems with superannuation, people living longer but wanting to retire
earlier (but wanting a standard of living in retirement the same as when they were
working ... )

Unlike the UK, the old age pension is means-tested in Australia.

>
    >> "Where there's blame there's a claim"
    >Oz is just as bad,

Although it seems that at least people have cottoned on to the fact there is a
problem in Australia - I'm not sure if the UK government has.

>I'm sure NZ lawyers aren't advers to making a quick buck either.

New Zealand has a no-fault accident compensation scheme, which has its own issues.

>
    >> The other PM, George W Bush
    >He'll exist no matter where you go.

John Howard is quite friendly with GW as well. Helen Clark in NZ much less so - would
you really choose a country for that reason?

>
    >> Low flying jets
    >Depends on where you live

You'll get that anywhere close to a major airport.

>
    >> Houses jammed so close to each other you can hear your neighbours breathe (and
    >> scream). Classic example: friends' road to housing estate was so narrow that fire
    >> engines couldn't get up it.
    >Move.

Move to Australia or NZ, perhaps :)

This is a fair point. It often seems that the newer the housing estate in Britain,
the narrower the roads. Urban roads are a lot wider in Australia and NZ.

>
    >> Telesales calls
    >Tell them to piss off, throw if a few "f" words and they won't call back.

You get those in Australia and NZ.

>
    >> Nuclear power stations
    >Does Oz not have any, I know NZ doesn't, but what do they use instead. Coal or oil
    >power? That's not exactly clean.

Australia has some sort of nuclear facility at Lucas Heights, in southern Sydney.

I think NZ uses a lot of hydro power, which is 'clean' as long as you don't mind
innundating scenic valleys.

>
    >> Rude aggressive people
    >You're right there

You'll get all types in both countries. I've generally found that people tend to reap
what they sow in how they deal with others.

>
    >>
    >> NZ: None of the above.
    >Come on Winnie, be realistic, NZ is not eutopia. If you think it is, you are going
    >to be dissapointed.

Winnie - I agree with Thunder Ace.

Often in the first few months of migrating, people go through a sort of euphoria in
how they see their new country (a kind of honeymoon period). After a little while the
first warm glow fades away and some things about your new home niggle a bit. That's
when homesickness can set in. Provided you stick with it, this stage will pass and
most people get to the stage where they see their new country for what it
is. Enjoying the good points, and accepting the bad points (hopefully outweighed by
the good) as part of the package that their new home is.

>>
    >> Sure we're having fun recalling all the things we don't miss about the UK, but
    >> why not?
    >I'll miss cheap cars

Depends on what type of car you like driving. Luxury European cars will set you back
more in Australia.

>and motorbikes, and good pubs. I won't miss much else apart from friends and family.
    >Oh, frosty winter mornings, I love them.

If you like frosty winter mornings, move to Canberra, you'll get plenty of them there
    :). On a clear winter night there, -5C is not all that uncommon. Even in western
Sydney, temperatures often drop close to freezing point on winter nights.

Jeremy

garrisondamn Jun 26th 2002 12:28 am

You forgot to mention, bad public service, ie: shop/store sale assistants, counter staff (especially DIY /builders merchants) that couldn't give a flying f***!!!! & show that they don't!!
Common courtesy, please/thankyou, I'll not miss that about the UK!
But yes, Britain has its good points,........................................... ....... like the airports, that get you the hell out!!

Good old blighty, shouldn't whinge about her, we may want to return some day, I just want to try somewhere different for a while, if it works out, great, if not then back we come.
You only live once!!!!!!

Winnie Jun 26th 2002 6:20 am

"JAJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >On 25 Jun 2002 02:10:53 -0700, [email protected] (Thunder
Ace) wrote:
    > >>
    > Winnie - I agree with Thunder Ace.
    >
    > Often in the first few months of migrating, people go through a sort of euphoria in
    > how they see their new country (a kind of honeymoon period). After a little while
    > the first warm glow fades away and some things about your new home niggle a bit.
    > That's when homesickness can set in. Provided you stick with it, this stage will
    > pass and most people get to the stage where they see their new country for what it
    > is. Enjoying the good points, and accepting the bad points (hopefully outweighed
    > by the good) as part of the package that their new home is.

Er, yes, I had sussed this. Whilst one part of me does have my rosy specs on, it's
deliberate. Why shouldn't I have a honeymoon with Godzone? I'm having a blast. I do
have a few issues with NZ, like 1080 spreading and DOC's stance on pet dogs, but I'm
not going to whinge about them, rather try and be a tiny part of the movement to
change them.

We didn't choose NZ for specific points such as I mentioned; we did a lot of
serious research and it came up tops. Now we've done the serious part it's time to
have some fun!

Cheers Winnie

Winnie Jun 26th 2002 7:21 am

"garrisondamn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > You forgot to mention, bad public service, ie: shop/store sale assistants, counter
    > staff (especially DIY /builders merchants) that couldn't give a flying f***!!!! &
    > show that they don't!! Common courtesy, please/thankyou, I'll not miss that about
    > the UK! But yes, Britain has its good
    > points,........................................... ....... like the airports, that
    > get you the hell out!!
    >
    > Good old blighty, shouldn't whinge about her, we may want to return some day, I
    > just want to try somewhere different for a while, if it works out, great, if not
    > then back we come. You only live once!!!!!!
    >

Good on you; with an attitude like that you'll get on just fine. And you would _love_
the customer service here. It's not ingratiating or smarmy, just friendly and helpful
and, you know, real people who are happy to have a chat and a laugh.

Cheers Winnie

Thunder Ace Jun 26th 2002 11:20 am

garrisondamn <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > You forgot to mention, bad public service, ie: shop/store sale assistants, counter
    > staff (especially DIY /builders merchants) that couldn't give a flying f***!!!! &
    > show that they don't!! Common courtesy, please/thankyou, I'll not miss that about
    > the UK! But yes, Britain has its good
    > points,........................................... ....... like the airports, that
    > get you the hell out!!
    >
    > Good old blighty, shouldn't whinge about her, we may want to return some day, I
    > just want to try somewhere different for a while, if it works out, great, if not
    > then back we come. You only live once!!!!!!

Execllent post, you managed to have a whinge but you made me laugh while you did it!
If everyone moaned like that, I'd be happy to listen.

Thunder Ace