Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fears, Worries and Serious Doubts!!!!

Fears, Worries and Serious Doubts!!!!

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:19 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough
Default Fears, Worries and Serious Doubts!!!!

Well, don't know if this is pre-visa nerves hitting in or what but we are having some worries and doubts that I hope some of you can help with! Our main concerns are:
1. We are coming out on a skilled independent visa and hoping to settle around the North Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area. My husband will have a starting salary of around $44,000 which is less than he is earning in the UK. From what I have read the cost of living is not greatly less and we are concerned about what our quality of life will be. Is this salary enough to keep a family of 4? I am a nurse and will work part-time but don't want to be pushed into it because of finances. In the UK we live basically on my husband's salary and me working part-time helps pay for extras and treats etc. Would this be comparable to Australia?
2. Our 2nd concern is education. I had been very much under the impression that Australian education was of an equal if not higher standard to the UK. (Based on recent statistics and a friend who has spent a year working in Oz). However, I have recently heard from someone who felt it was appalling and literacy rates are infact very poor. We would very much appreciate any input from parents who have experienced both UK and Oz education. Are most schools of a similar standard or is there a vast difference? Is it worth paying for private education?

I think the hardest part is the unknown. If we stay here we roughly know what our future would be like in terms of housing, schools, holidays etc. Although the outdoor life with a good climate appeals is it really worth giving up what we have here if we cannot have the same or more in Australia? We are not a materialistic family in the slightest but it would not be worth the move if, for example, I had to work full-time to give us enough money for a family holiday.

I look forward to hearing all your experiences (good and bad) and hope that it will help us decide where our future lies

Carolyn
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:42 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fears, Worries and Serious Doubts!!!!

Forgot to mention that we would be living mortgage free/debt free. My husband is a police officer and I would be working part-time as a nurse.
Thanks for any replies.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:47 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

The cost of living is lower in Oz but then so is the wages. I think a good way to compare is to use a 2:1 ratio. So a $44,000 wage would roughly give you the same standard of living as a £22,000 wage in the UK.

Sorry but I don't have any direct experience with the schools in UK or Oz, however I've heard mostly good reports for Oz schools with a few bad reports. I think, like the UK, some public (state) schools are good while others are not so good.

Regards
Alistair
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:51 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'm around the $44,000 ( If I get overtime ) & my wife is a nurse working 3 nights a week.
I'd say our standard of living here doesn't compare to what it was back in UK & we are not mortgage free.
Its normal to have nerves about the move but stay positive & go for it. I'd reckon around 85 to 90% don't regret it.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:02 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bordy
I'm around the $44,000 ( If I get overtime ) & my wife is a nurse working 3 nights a week.
I'd say our standard of living here doesn't compare to what it was back in UK & we are not mortgage free.
Its normal to have nerves about the move but stay positive & go for it. I'd reckon around 85 to 90% don't regret it.
Sorry, Bordy, I am a bit thick and stressed!!!! When you say your standard of living doesn't compare to the Uk do you mean it is much better in Oz?
I got very worried by a previous thread which said you would need $80000 for a comfortable life!!
Carolyn
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:14 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NAC
Sorry, Bordy, I am a bit thick and stressed!!!! When you say your standard of living doesn't compare to the Uk do you mean it is much better in Oz?
I got very worried by a previous thread which said you would need $80000 for a comfortable life!!
Carolyn
Yes Carolyn its much better, well I'm not a millionaire or anywhere near it but much happier here. Built our own house here, got two cars & a good life, we will never have hundreds of thousands in the bank unfortunetly but I would never go back.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

muzza is on a distinguished road

Yes Carolyn its much better, well I'm not a millionaire or anywhere near it but much happier here. Built our own house here, got two cars & a good life, we will never have hundreds of thousands in the bank unfortunetly but I would never go back.
Not sure if anyone else feels like this, but I think that the lifestyle more than makes up for any financial considerations. I'm probably about to get bashed for being anti-UK, but I think people here are much more materialistic than they are in Oz.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NAC
Well, don't know if this is pre-visa nerves hitting in or what but we are having some worries and doubts that I hope some of you can help with! Our main concerns are:
1. We are coming out on a skilled independent visa and hoping to settle around the North Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area. My husband will have a starting salary of around $44,000 which is less than he is earning in the UK. From what I have read the cost of living is not greatly less and we are concerned about what our quality of life will be. Is this salary enough to keep a family of 4? I am a nurse and will work part-time but don't want to be pushed into it because of finances. In the UK we live basically on my husband's salary and me working part-time helps pay for extras and treats etc. Would this be comparable to Australia?
2. Our 2nd concern is education. I had been very much under the impression that Australian education was of an equal if not higher standard to the UK. (Based on recent statistics and a friend who has spent a year working in Oz). However, I have recently heard from someone who felt it was appalling and literacy rates are infact very poor. We would very much appreciate any input from parents who have experienced both UK and Oz education. Are most schools of a similar standard or is there a vast difference? Is it worth paying for private education?

I think the hardest part is the unknown. If we stay here we roughly know what our future would be like in terms of housing, schools, holidays etc. Although the outdoor life with a good climate appeals is it really worth giving up what we have here if we cannot have the same or more in Australia? We are not a materialistic family in the slightest but it would not be worth the move if, for example, I had to work full-time to give us enough money for a family holiday.

I look forward to hearing all your experiences (good and bad) and hope that it will help us decide where our future lies

Carolyn
Sorry Carolyn is that with Queensland Police? My hubbies a copper too and if we go ahead his start off salary will be $56,000, and thats on the PACE programme. You need to contact the HR department and clarify his wage as you may be sending your kids to private school out there!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 3:11 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Muzza

I think you are completely right. My sister in law lives over there with her partner and 4 kids. they dont have the latest gadgets etc that over here are the "must haves". but by god are they happy. They would never come back here that is for sure.

I can't wait to be part of it. I am already trying to get into that frame of mind, and trying to make the kids that way too.

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 3:45 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your replys - it really helps to hear from others in the same position. There are a lot of jobs out there where people don't have a hope of bringing home $80000 per year!!
Carolyn
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Fears, Worries and Serious Doubts!!!!

Hi there,
We were worried originally, giving up a great job etc (not well paid but secure), but we stuggle over here, and we thought we might as well struggle over there, were at least there are things to do where we dont have to spend a fortune to do something with the children of a weekend.

I will give you an example:
I go to every home game of Everton's with 2 of my kids, this costs me for the tickets alone around £59, and then all the extras like sweets drinks etc, usually spending approx £70 by the time we get home.
Last year when we were on the Gold Coast, we went to watch the Broncos play at the Suncorp Stadium in it cost $69 for 2 Adults and 2 kids, along with free train travel to & from Brisbane with the match tickets.
This Equates to:
Football UK £70= Approx $169
Rugby League in Oz:$69= Approx £28

Simple maths. I know it is all relative to cost of living & wages, but no matter how you look at it it is still better value for money in Oz

Good luck, by the way
Cheers
D,K,J,B,J
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 5:49 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

Hi Dicko, and thanks for your reply. I think you make a good point in that I find entertaining children in the UK very expensive. If the weather is fine it's ok, you can go for walks or to the park but often it's wet and miserable!! It's then that it gets expensive with going swimming, soft play areas etc etc.
Glad we've had some positive replys - giving us some hope
Originally Posted by Dicko
Hi there,
We were worried originally, giving up a great job etc (not well paid but secure), but we stuggle over here, and we thought we might as well struggle over there, were at least there are things to do where we dont have to spend a fortune to do something with the children of a weekend.

I will give you an example:
I go to every home game of Everton's with 2 of my kids, this costs me for the tickets alone around £59, and then all the extras like sweets drinks etc, usually spending approx £70 by the time we get home.
Last year when we were on the Gold Coast, we went to watch the Broncos play at the Suncorp Stadium in it cost $69 for 2 Adults and 2 kids, along with free train travel to & from Brisbane with the match tickets.
This Equates to:
Football UK £70= Approx $169
Rugby League in Oz:$69= Approx £28

Simple maths. I know it is all relative to cost of living & wages, but no matter how you look at it it is still better value for money in Oz

Good luck, by the way
Cheers
D,K,J,B,J
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 6:12 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by muzza
Not sure if anyone else feels like this, but I think that the lifestyle more than makes up for any financial considerations. I'm probably about to get bashed for being anti-UK, but I think people here are much more materialistic than they are in Oz.
Been back 10 months in the UK, yes the Brits are almost obsessed with material things and labels, something hubby and I did not see as much in Australia (apart from Sydney).

I miss that relaxed attitude and not having to feel like a poor relation when I go out of an evening in the UK.

M

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 6:15 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by NAC

Carolyn
I worked out that I could work 22.5 hours in Australia and half of that weeks wage would cover our full weeks rent, here if I work 25 hours my weekly wage is not enough to cover that weeks rent, go figure that, yes we don't do as much in the UK not because of the weather but you need a 2nd mortgage.

The UK is NOT cheap!!!

M

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road

does that mean that your standard of living was better in the U.K ? It's not quite clear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.