Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fear of flying with Garuda..... Am I being stupid?

Fear of flying with Garuda..... Am I being stupid?

Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fear of flying with Garuda..... Am I being stupid?

Well I must admit to being a bit apprehensive on my first time on an A320! Most of the early crashes were down to pilot error in training in new technology. My first trip on the A380 was not without doubt having seen the big beasty from it's first artists impression and normally I would prefer Boeings!

Every crash is unique in the events leading up to the incident which is something we should all remember, as is a car accident it's just that aircraft are bigger and more people involved. It's just that some airlines....... have more than others!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:35 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
If that happens - I am going to haunt you . Guaranteed.
Join the queue, I'll recognise those eyes
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I felt safe - if that really means anything. I didn't feel particularly safe in a 707 that seemed held together with string between Bali and jakarta.
I think that Garuda are acutely sensitive to perceptions of safety on international routes.

What really was appalling was the inflight service. No inflight entertainment to speak of, the worst airline food I've ever tasted and the staff weren't great. A huge contrast from other SE Asian airlines.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

What really was appalling was the inflight service. No inflight entertainment to speak of, the worst airline food I've ever tasted and the staff weren't great. A huge contrast from other SE Asian airlines.
Really? On my Garuda flight just a few weeks ago Mel-Jak they had movies on demand, many were new releases. Leg room excellent, food, all airline food in economy is blah in my opinion. If you flew Perth-Jak isn't that just a 3 hour flight? i don't think many airlines offer much on such a short flight.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Really? On my Garuda flight just a few weeks ago Mel-Jak they had movies on demand, many were new releases. Leg room excellent, food, all airline food in economy is blah in my opinion. If you flew Perth-Jak isn't that just a 3 hour flight? i don't think many airlines offer much on such a short flight.
It was more a case of broken promises.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point

i flew with Garuda from the UK to Perth and I have to say it was one of the best flights I have ever had. Loads of room, good food, good service and no problems at all.

You pays your money you takes your chances.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by innojuk
i flew with Garuda from the UK to Perth and I have to say it was one of the best flights I have ever had. Loads of room, good food, good service and no problems at all.

You pays your money you takes your chances.
Do Garuda fly out of London or was this a long time ago?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by papilon
Do Garuda fly out of London or was this a long time ago?
It was 20 years ago and I seem to think it was from London but it could have been Manchester ;-)

I was back packing and as always took the cheapest flight possible, although I think I could have saved £50 flying with Aeroflot and going via Moscow but the guy at the flight place reckoned they had a habit of getting to Moscow and then not going any futher!!!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I think that Garuda still fly out of Gatwick. Despite living in another town on the direct train line to Gatwick, I still wasn't prepared to travel with them.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

I know last time I looked (about 3 years ago) they were banned from flying in or out of GB so they weren't an option. They don't appear on any searches I have done for flights to Aus so not sure what their current status is.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore Airlines, best in the world: