Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FE College to TAFE

FE College to TAFE

Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute
Default FE College to TAFE

Seeing as the whole visa thing is taking so long, it now looks likely that my daughter will finish her GCSEs before we leave. She has no intention of doing A levels, but will go to college here to begin childcare NVQs.

The question is, will any of that give her credit in the Oz TAFE system, or will she have to start all over?

Last edited by TakenThePlunge; Dec 15th 2008 at 4:02 pm. Reason: Hopefully it makes more sense now
Old Dec 16th 2008, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FE College to TAFE

No it wont give her credit in aus, even if she did a year in college in the UK it wont be counted here. They dont understand UK qualifications here. The process is to do a certificate 3, 4, diploma then either do an advanced diploma or go to university.

Even if you had a HND or equivalent or A levels when you try to tell the TAFE they look at you like you are speaking german, they have no clue about UK qualifications so you have to start from scratch.

Check out
http://www.centraltafe.wa.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx
Old Dec 16th 2008, 12:15 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dave99
No it wont give her credit in aus, even if she did a year in college in the UK it wont be counted here. They dont understand UK qualifications here. The process is to do a certificate 3, 4, diploma then either do an advanced diploma or go to university.

Even if you had a HND or equivalent or A levels when you try to tell the TAFE they look at you like you are speaking german, they have no clue about UK qualifications so you have to start from scratch.

Check out
http://www.centraltafe.wa.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx
Not strictly true. Maybe your comments are based on personal experience and crap advice from someone working in a TAFE who is clueless - which I can understand.

Generally speaking it is possible to get some recognition of UK qualifications via the RPL process. A good TAFE will try and assist a potential student. At the end of the day TAFEs need to generate income and students are the source of that income.

Last edited by The Woodcutter; Dec 16th 2008 at 12:17 am.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, my TAFE here in SA did say we could use past qualifications as recognition of prior learning. Mine is an 'international' course, so I assume they are more used to seeing international qualifications.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, everyone.

I've been looking at each states TAFE pages and each state seems to have slightly different takes on RPL - from what I can see South Australia has the best set up and Western Australia the worst.

Might change my mind about going to Perth then