Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Favourite sweets from your childhood years

Favourite sweets from your childhood years

Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Favourite sweets from your childhood years

Originally Posted by Elaine M
Licorice flyers - the licorice is sealed at one end and a stopper of candy at the other end?

I love the red ones but not found anywhere that sells them here in Adelaide - can anyone help me out?

Elaine M
I know its a long way from your place Elaine, but try that shop in Glenelg. It has heaps and heaps of old Brit sweets and stuff. Mnay of hte things mentioned in this thread are in there. Worth a try.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
You can get Pez in Kmart & Woolworths, I buy them occasionally for the boys (they just like the dispensers ). Can also buy pear drops in a few places here in Brisbane (one in Capalaba).

I remember Fry's Chocolate Cream here in Australia (the different flavoured ones), I think you can still get the peppermint ones?

I try to avoid the "sweetie" aisles at the supermarket Mrs DB so never really look when i'm there. I never liked the pez sweets either. Just like your boys i collected the plastic animal head dispensers
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:00 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micky
Originally posted by Soapy ages ago.

Mr.Cadbury and Ms Rowntree met on a coach journey. It was After Eight.
She was from Quality Street; he was a Fisherman's Friend.
On the way they stopped at a Yorkie Bar, he had a Rum & Butter and she had a
Wine Gum.
He asked her name. "Polo, I'm the one with the hole", she said.
"I'm the one with the Nuts", he thought. Then he touched her Milky Way.
They checked in and went straight to the bedroom.
Mr Cadbury turned out the light for a bit of Black Magic.
It wasn't long before he slipped his hand into her Snickers and felt the contrast of her Double Decker.
Then he showed her his Curly Wurly.
Ms Rowntree wasn't keen to have any more Jelly Babies, so she let
Him take a trip down Bourneville Boulevard.
He was pleased as he always fancied a bit of Fudge.
It was a Magic Moment as she let out a scream of Turkish Delight.
When he came out his Fun Sized Mars Bar felt a bit Crunchie.
She wanted more but he decided to take Time Out.
However, he noticed her Pink Wafers looked very appetising...So he did a Twirl, had a Picnic in her Sherbert and gave her a Gob Stopper.
Unfortunately Mr Cadbury then had to go home to his wife, Caramel.
Sadly, he was soon to discover he had caught V.D.
It turns out Ms Rowntree had been with All Sorts

pmsl!!!!!!

Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:01 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by podgypossum
I know its a long way from your place Elaine, but try that shop in Glenelg. It has heaps and heaps of old Brit sweets and stuff. Mnay of hte things mentioned in this thread are in there. Worth a try.
Hi PP,

Tried the one at the Brickworks but the nearest thing they have are thin strawberry licorice sherbet pencils, not the same thing at all.

Will try to get down to Glenelg sometime, you never know

Thanks,

Elaine M
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 12:18 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Never really was a sweetie person, but the three years here I have had unbelievable cravings. So far hubby and I are sorted for

Caramac
Tayto Crisps
Star Bars
and a few other bars and crisps

and I was getting so laid back I was happy just buying them and putting a few on the top shelf.....enough to know I was not deprived!!! (kids and hubby cleared it regularly)

But then I found the Sydney shop...and once a month I am off for those plastic foam shrimps mentioned in an earlier post, or the liquorice catherine wheels....I keep meaning to make sure I take some home....but never have managed it yet. Now all I need is white mice
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 12:21 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

In fact thinking about sweets has just made me go an get one of my barretts liquorice catherine wheels....funny does not taste the same with white wine!
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by micky
Originally posted by Soapy ages ago.

Mr.Cadbury and Ms Rowntree met on a coach journey. It was After Eight.
She was from Quality Street; he was a Fisherman's Friend.
On the way they stopped at a Yorkie Bar, he had a Rum & Butter and she had a
Wine Gum.
He asked her name. "Polo, I'm the one with the hole", she said.
"I'm the one with the Nuts", he thought. Then he touched her Milky Way.
They checked in and went straight to the bedroom.
Mr Cadbury turned out the light for a bit of Black Magic.
It wasn't long before he slipped his hand into her Snickers and felt the contrast of her Double Decker.
Then he showed her his Curly Wurly.
Ms Rowntree wasn't keen to have any more Jelly Babies, so she let
Him take a trip down Bourneville Boulevard.
He was pleased as he always fancied a bit of Fudge.
It was a Magic Moment as she let out a scream of Turkish Delight.
When he came out his Fun Sized Mars Bar felt a bit Crunchie.
She wanted more but he decided to take Time Out.
However, he noticed her Pink Wafers looked very appetising...So he did a Twirl, had a Picnic in her Sherbert and gave her a Gob Stopper.
Unfortunately Mr Cadbury then had to go home to his wife, Caramel.
Sadly, he was soon to discover he had caught V.D.
It turns out Ms Rowntree had been with All Sorts

that was a fantastic post .........lmao how well thought out............jan hutchinson xxx
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 1:19 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchy
that was a fantastic post .........lmao how well thought out............jan hutchinson xxx
Personally I thought it was quite rude.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:39 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Rhubard and custard

caramac

cola cubes

Tracey
cola cubes and pineapple cubes...were yummy but hurt the roof of yer mouth if u ate too many
Old Jul 4th 2005, 12:45 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

What about proper sugar mice with the string tails!!

And I grew up in Germany where they had dark chocolate Rolos with a chewy mint fondant centre, yummy!!!
Old Jul 4th 2005, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Does anyone remember the original smiths crisps with the little blue bag of salt from the 60's ? My uncle lived across the street from the 'Paynes Poppet' factory in South London, that always fascinated me as a kid.....
Yes! My dad used to LOVE them! They were still selling them at ASDA when we were in the UK last year.

I now work for a British Lolly Shop (lolly/sweet) in Cairns, most of what you lot have mentioned we sell! Memory lane alright! Strangely enough, I was asked for these Smiths crips only last week!

We sell loads of Pear Drops/Cola chunks/Cola bottles/English fudge - people just cant get enough of our CHOCOLATE fudge - YUMMY!!! Sold out within a few days!

Enough already

Will think of all of you when I'm working later Will have to have a few samples me thinks

Old Jul 4th 2005, 6:14 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Parma Violets.......BARF
agreed.
You know those sweet necklaces? The ones with little hard sweets on elastic that girls can eat and wear at the same time?
If you eat those sweets off of someone's neck when they've been wearing too much perfume - yeuch! that taste reminded me of parma violets. sweet and perfumey.

I loved black jacks myself.

PS good avatar mr saladfingers