faux aussies

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:22 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: faux aussies

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Anyone born in Britain is British imo regardless of colour or nationality of the parents, that does not mean they cannot adopt citizenship of another country. Also I am not sure about every country but many countries will give you citizenship automaticlly if you are born there so they think that way as well, again it was only my take on it
I think this would have to be your own opinion to which you are entitled. As I was born in Singapore to British parents - does this make me Singaporean? I think not!

(Admittedly it does impress Singaporean customs everytime I pass through.)
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:32 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it really matter?? In the grand scheme of things?? What you class yourself as, from, now being?? What colour shirt you put on?

At the end of the day (as my Nan used to tell me frequently).. we all breathe the same air and we all sit under the same sky... classing yourself as "being from" doesnt mean jack..

Live and let live

Em x
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems

Live and let live

Then we would have nothing to discuss....or a chance to try and be clever or funny
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:14 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
same could apply to GB. are we Norman, Saxon, Dane. We're not British then?
If you read my post properly I was responding to the point regarding what constitutes a 'genuine' immigrant.

In fact the Normans, Saxons and Danes all predate "Great Britain".
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:16 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Ethiopia - like everyone else on the planet.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:27 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
If you read my post properly I was responding to the point regarding what constitutes a 'genuine' immigrant.

In fact the Normans, Saxons and Danes all predate "Great Britain".
and have all melted together to make up the inhabitants that exist there. the point being that in this day and age, all this is bollocks.
if you take up citizenship of a country, you have every right to say you come from that country, or to choose not to. if you bring something to the table, you are as legitimate as anyone else, here, the uk or anywhere.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:29 am
Account Closed

and have all melted together to make up the inhabitants that exist there. the point being that in this day and age, all this is bollocks.
if you take up citizenship of a country, you have every right to say you come from that country, or to choose not to. if you bring something to the table, you are as legitimate as anyone else, here, the uk or anywhere.
Which was exactly the point I was making.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:30 am
Account Closed

Which was exactly the point I was making.
and i was agreeing with
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:31 am
Account Closed

and i was agreeing with
We rock!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:32 am
Account Closed

We rock!
you may, i just wobble a bit
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Does it really matter?? In the grand scheme of things?? What you class yourself as, from, now being?? What colour shirt you put on?

At the end of the day (as my Nan used to tell me frequently).. we all breathe the same air and we all sit under the same sky... classing yourself as "being from" doesnt mean jack..

Live and let live

Em x
Quite right. While not saying anyone on here necessarily thinks this - and I stress that point to avoid this thread going off on a tangent - I can't help but see a certain hypocrisy, at least in generic terms. In the UK it is a common complaint about bloody foreigners not integrating and not wanting to get into the British way of life, and they are often criticised for keeping their own traditions and languages and supporting their own national teams in sport, and so on.

Meanwhile, the exact opposite values apparently apply to the English who are supposed to go to a foreign country and retain their own colloquialisms and loyalties and support their own team, even though they have emigrated and are supposed to be integrating into the new nation.

This hypocrisy is of course natural and predictable, which is why I agree with what you say - forget about it and if someone from Lahore living in Bradford wants to support Pakistan and speak Urdu all the time fine, and if not fine, and if someone from Plymouth living in Perth wants to support Australia and uses some Aussie phrases then fine, and if not fine.