faux aussies

Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: faux aussies

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Good point she is an Emerati from Dubai. If she can not be classed as an Emerati then a Pakistani born couple who give birth to a baby in Britain cannot really class the baby as British because they are from Pakistan but the baby is clearly British. Anyone born in Britain is British imo regardless of colour or nationality of the parents, that does not mean they cannot adopt citizenship of another country. Also I am not sure about every country but many countries will give you citizenship automaticlly if you are born there so they think that way as well, again it was only my take on it
No she can't be classed as an Emirati from Dubai and no she does not get citizenship of that country as no-one born there gets that, only those with Emirati parents.....so she has a British passport and is a British citizen as granted by FCO.....what is she then???

Jeez talk sense .....
Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:39 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by plantpot
No she can't be classed as an Emirati from Dubai and no she does not get citizenship of that country as no-one born there gets that, only those with Emirati parents.....so she has a British passport and is a British citizen as granted by FCO.....what is she then???

Jeez talk sense .....
If your happy with that then fine,if I am not talking sense then don't listen. Why can't people accept we have different views, again again it was my take get off my F22king back
Old Dec 1st 2008, 9:42 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Little Plant is a TCK - Third Culture Kid Hopefully she will pick up the best traits from all of those that she experiences.

Jeez why is this always such an emotive subject - and wasn't it discussed in depth within the last couple of weeks?

And is it because I'm not into sport that I really don't give a stuff? Being "British" or anything else doesn't really enter my head in the normal course of my day, until I read threads like this. It's just what it says on my passport.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:26 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't mind the Socceroos and cheered them on at the World Cup as well as England. It will take something to get me going for the Wallabies and the Cricket team.

Otherwise why is it such a big deal? It is not like we are the ones on the pitch. People can be most strange about international sport.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE]
I guess it's the difference between a genuine immigrant compared to someone who is here as a "lifestyle choice".[/QUOTE
Genuine immigrant?!? what a load of bo***ks!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:27 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I agree what a load of bollocks, I mean obviously if you don't support the convicts at sport and keep up the banter you're just a faux immigrant
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 5:11 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
And is it because I'm not into sport that I really don't give a stuff? Being "British" or anything else doesn't really enter my head in the normal course of my day, until I read threads like this. It's just what it says on my passport.
Totally. Sport brings out the neanderthal in people - causes some nationalistic gene to pop up and throb away . I couldn't give a shit either - I guess I'm viewed as British because that's where I'm from - which is fine. The irony is that my dad's an aussie and we go back many generations here in Oz on his side of the family, making more 'Australian' than many of the people who class themselves as dinkie-die true-blues.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 5:13 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=pompeyblonde;7028015]

Genuine immigrant?!? what a load of bo***ks!
Damn straight, people who come to Australia, usually on a temporary visa because they want a life in the sun but can't be arsed to learn Spanish. Perth's full of them.

Here today, gone tomorrow Poms.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 5:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=renth;7028256]
Originally Posted by pompeyblonde

Damn straight, people who come to Australia, usually on a temporary visa because they want a life in the sun but can't be arsed to learn Spanish. Perth's full of them.

Huh? Why would anyone learn Spanish in Perth?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 5:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Dorothy;7028299]
Originally Posted by renth
Huh? Why would anyone learn Spanish in Perth?
Because if Spain were an English speaking country they would have gone there instead.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 5:56 am
Just Joined

landahoy is an unknown quantity at this point

and which is why nobody who comes from britain needs to ask that question....

hehehe only messing....just need to keep onto my title of stirrer of the week
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by landahoy
How do you feel about poms who become aussies through the citizenship process and then turn their back completely on where they originally came from?

Should we suddenly stop supporting England in football <make that soccer> and cricket and start backing the Aussies?

I have been involved in several heated debates regarding this. We have pommie friends who have decked their outside area with green and gold and the husband has started wearing Australian cricket shirts/rugby shirts to matches in pubs etc.
Actually some good responses this time around..
Painting the deck is a bit sad.

If you have taken Australian citizenship you are Australian - albeit a new one.
My view is that you have to be circumspect at times thats all - remember your heritage (assuming it meant anything) and that some Aussies and some Brits might have opinions.

Nothing wrong with being a dual national.

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
As time goes by and you are here for a long time its only natural that allegiances change. When you have children born here and you take everything from the country why support another one. Its a choice to become a migrant and an Australian, therefore do not criticise people who choose to support their new home. Over the centuries people have moved countries and changed allegiances its the way of the world.
There are many travellers and people who have based their whole life and work to going 'native' in a non native place. Most of them are celebrated and have been awarded gongs by that most British of institutions - the National Geographic Society.. For some reason Australia is considered beyond the pale. I do agree that for established migrants with Australian children there will be more integration.

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
If I were an ozzie citizen out of Australia I would tell people I was Australian.

If I were in Oz I would also reply that I was ozzie, but origionally from UK (as obviously my accent isnot ozzie).
We told people in the US we were Australians - or from Australia (duh) which I suppose was true - and saved a long winded explanation. But we were quick to follow up with our native countries of birth once any conversation got going.

Bit of common dog really. I think if you are a professional expat rather than a migrant then all the above is entirely something else and could be emotive.

As for Australian vs England sporting rivalry - I am SOOO, 'totally' over it and avoid it. Ashes comes up, I just grin inanely.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
I agree what a load of bollocks, I mean obviously if you don't support the convicts at sport and keep up the banter you're just a faux immigrant
There is a line *somewhere*. I think shouting for Australia over England, say, is infact stepping over it (for a sports fan at least). But I couldn't care less if someone actually did.

It just occured to me - back in my England days, I always admired the Southern Hemisphere teams didn't mean I supported them. Also why do people support a bunch of strangers wearing their country's shirt - I would rather support my team which I have played in - maybe a local club or region rather than the national side. I suspect the answer is that people attach to teams which they have followed or got some sort of emotional tie with. That is why I don't folllow England rugby so much - all the blokes I knew have retired and now the team is just 15 blokes in England tops.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
There is a line *somewhere*. I think shouting for Australia over England, say, is infact stepping over it (for a sports fan at least). But I couldn't care less if someone actually did.

It just occured to me - back in my England days, I always admired the Southern Hemisphere teams didn't mean I supported them. Also why do people support a bunch of strangers wearing their country's shirt - I would rather support my team which I have played in - maybe a local club or region rather than the national side. I suspect the answer is that people attach to teams which they have followed or got some sort of emotional tie with. That is why I don't folllow England rugby so much - all the blokes I knew have retired and now the team is just 15 blokes in England tops.
I recall there was quite the fracas when Tebbit suggested all the Pakistani/British duals should support England at cricket and not Pakistan. I bet a lot of the people on here who are saying they support England would be the exact people who would say Pakistani/British in the UK should support England at cricket.

Luckily, loathing all sport, I do not have this problem. Nationality to me is irrelevant, an entirely artificial construct that can be reconstructed into any other nationality at the drop of a hat. I might legally be dual nationality one day, and that is a legal distinction I can enjoy, but no feeling of national loyalty can come out of a stamp in a passport. It's deeper than that.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Whats the problem though?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.