Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FATTY NOODLESSSSSSSSSSS LOL

FATTY NOODLESSSSSSSSSSS LOL

Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:15 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down FATTY NOODLESSSSSSSSSSS LOL

Hello everybody lol It's Jen, remember me? lol Joke...

Ok in the UK I used to eat Sharwoods Medium Egg noodles, they came dried and were considered a 'free' food on Slimming World along with pasta, rice, spuds and loads of other carbs....YUMMY CARBS! lol

Anyhoo, I bought these other dried noodles from Woolies yesterday, brought them home and they took two minutes to cook, tasted pretty good, impressed, then I went to clean the pyrex bowl I'd blitzed them in and it was full of fat, OMG! I then looked @ the packet and they had 14g of fat in ONE TEENY SERVING, OMG! They were 'Ayam' Instant noodles in a red and yellow packet, needless to say I'll be feeding Simon the rest of them now so he can get fat instead...anyhoo....I digress. What I'm wanting to know is if anyone has found a low fat, similar egg noodle to the Sharwoods ones, and if so, where!?

Thanks in advance my lil BE'ers...

Jen (the Norn Irn girl who finally lives in Oz, WHOOPPEEEE!) xo
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FATTY NOODLESSSSSSSSSSS LOL

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Hello everybody lol It's Jen, remember me? lol Joke...

Ok in the UK I used to eat Sharwoods Medium Egg noodles, they came dried and were considered a 'free' food on Slimming World along with pasta, rice, spuds and loads of other carbs....YUMMY CARBS! lol

Anyhoo, I bought these other dried noodles from Woolies yesterday, brought them home and they took two minutes to cook, tasted pretty good, impressed, then I went to clean the pyrex bowl I'd blitzed them in and it was full of fat, OMG! I then looked @ the packet and they had 14g of fat in ONE TEENY SERVING, OMG! They were 'Ayam' Instant noodles in a red and yellow packet, needless to say I'll be feeding Simon the rest of them now so he can get fat instead...anyhoo....I digress. What I'm wanting to know is if anyone has found a low fat, similar egg noodle to the Sharwoods ones, and if so, where!?

Thanks in advance my lil BE'ers...

Jen (the Norn Irn girl who finally lives in Oz, WHOOPPEEEE!) xo
If you have a Coles nearby have a look there as the ones round here sell loads of Sharwoods products so you might be lucky and find the ones you used to have.

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 24th 2010 at 5:07 am.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:59 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you have a Coles nearby have a look there as the ones round here sell loads of Sharwoods products so you might be lucky and find the ones you used to have.
Woo hoo coolio, fanku xo
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just opened a packet of fresh Hokkein noodles to do a stir fry and the blurb on the back says Fat Total 2.1g, saturated less than 1g. I have no idea what that means, I have never taken any notice of that stuff. Only interested in ingredients in this house.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:50 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if they're quite what you had in mind but these are pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggi_noodles

I know a way of turning them into a quick and nutritious meal if you're interested.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Not sure if they're quite what you had in mind but these are pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggi_noodles

I know a way of turning them into a quick and nutritious meal if you're interested.
Add boiling water?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spartacus
Add boiling water?
Even faster version: open the packet, lightly crush the noodles, open the packet of seasoning and sprinkle on top, shake well. Good substitute for chips.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:31 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Add boiling water?
Along the way, yes

1. Chop up a carrot as finely as possible.
2. Put the chopped carrot in a saucepan with about half a pint of boiling water (possibly a little more - you want the end product to be nicely soupy) and heat it up.
3. Bring the water and carrot mix to the boil and add to it the contents of the little "soup mix" sachet that comes with the noodles.
4. Put the noodle block in the pan.
5. As soon as the noodle block has softened enough that it begins to separate crack open an egg and pop that on top of the expanding noodle block.
6. Don't stir, just put the lid on the saucepan and allow to simmer gently for a few mins until the white of the egg is cooked (I try and take it off the heat just before the yolk hardens).
7. Put the contents of the pan into a large bowl, add some soy sauce (optionally) and (if you like) some chilli sauce.

Delicious and satisfying for less than 75p
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Along the way, yes

1. Chop up a carrot as finely as possible.
2. Put the chopped carrot in a saucepan with about half a pint of boiling water (possibly a little more - you want the end product to be nicely soupy) and heat it up.
3. Bring the water and carrot mix to the boil and add to it the contents of the little "soup mix" sachet that comes with the noodles.
4. Put the noodle block in the pan.
5. As soon as the noodle block has softened enough that it begins to separate crack open an egg and pop that on top of the expanding noodle block.
6. Don't stir, just put the lid on the saucepan and allow to simmer gently for a few mins until the white of the egg is cooked (I try and take it off the heat just before the yolk hardens).
7. Put the contents of the pan into a large bowl, add some soy sauce (optionally) and (if you like) some chilli sauce.

Delicious and satisfying for less than 75p

You lost me at 'carrot' . . .
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:11 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I've just opened a packet of fresh Hokkein noodles to do a stir fry and the blurb on the back says Fat Total 2.1g, saturated less than 1g. I have no idea what that means, I have never taken any notice of that stuff. Only interested in ingredients in this house.
'fresh' noodles will have more fat than the dried variety, as they use oil to stop them sticking together

Can't help Jen with an alternative to the Sharwoods though
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ayam.com/noodles-quality.html

Did you know?
Ayam noodles are also available in baked (not fried) recipe which is 99% fat free
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dreamy
'fresh' noodles will have more fat than the dried variety, as they use oil to stop them sticking together

Hmm,
I think she was talking about instant noodles which are deep fried during manufacturing and as such will have "a bit" of fat content.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:17 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
http://www.ayam.com/noodles-quality.html

Did you know?
Ayam noodles are also available in baked (not fried) recipe which is 99% fat free
I'll have to look out for them, thanku lol
Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

But those ones have far less fat than the ones she mentioned. Anyway as I said, all that 'nutrition' stuff goes way over my head.