Fatal Shore

Old Aug 29th 2004, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Fatal Shore

Anyone read this book - if so what did you think of it?
Old Aug 29th 2004, 11:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fatal Shore

Originally Posted by debsy
Very very good read. The size of it may be daunting, but its a fascinating book and well written so it keeps your interest. Lots of detail, and brings the whole period to life. Perfect for a long flight to somewhere......
Old Aug 29th 2004, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Very very good read. The size of it may be daunting, but its a fascinating book and well written so it keeps your interest. Lots of detail, and brings the whole period to life. Perfect for a long flight to somewhere......
Precisely Poll I have just purchased a copy to read on the plane
Old Aug 30th 2004, 12:08 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Read "'True History of the Kelly Gang" by Peter Carey - great stuff
Old Aug 30th 2004, 1:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Precisely Poll I have just purchased a copy to read on the plane
I read it travelling over a couple of years ago - and was still reading it when I got back! Well worth it though, really brought things to life.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Anya had a great thread about good reads and I mentioned in it that I picked up The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes at a charity shop, I'm just reading it now and it is excellent as Poll said. On Saturday I picked up 2 Peter Carey books at another charity shop - Jack Maggs and Exotic Tales. They're on my 'to read' pile and I'm looking forward to reading them. Carey is a native of Bacchus Marsh (near Melbourne) in Victoria I noticed.

On the convict/transportation theme it would be hard to beat Out of Ireland by Christopher Koch: http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/author...ofireland.html

For the term of his natural life by Marcus Clarke; Morgan's Run by Colleen McCullough are also good reads.

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Aug 30th 2004 at 9:12 am.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 9:03 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Another one I would recommend(its a LOT of reading)is "the great southern land" by Frank Welsh.Is is a very comprehensive history .It is meant to be the first history of Australia written by a non Australian.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
Another one I would recommend(its a LOT of reading)is "the great southern land" by Frank Welsh.Is is a very comprehensive history .It is meant to be the first history of Australia written by a non Australian.
I'll look for that one. As I said in the other thread Geoffrey Blainey also has some superb history books - The tyranny of distance, A land half won, The rush that never ended etc.

And speaking of Great Southern Land I can also thoroughly recommend the song by Icehouse of the same title:

Standing at the limit of an endless ocean
stranded like a runaway, lost at sea
city on a rainy day down in the harbour
watching as the grey clouds shadow the bay
looking everywhere 'cause I had to find you
this is not the way that i remember it here
anyone will tell you its a prisoner island
hidden in the summer for a million years

Great Southern Land, burned you black

so you look into the land and it will tell you a story
story 'bout a journey ended long ago
if you listen to the motion of the wind in the mountains
maybe you can hear them talking like I do
". . they're gonna betray, they're gonna forget you
are you gonna let them take you over this way . ."

Great Southern Land, Great Southern Land
you walk alone like a primitive man
and they make it work with sticks and bones
see their hungry eyes, its a hungry home
I hear the sound of the stranger's voices
I see their hungry eyes, their hungry eyes
they burned you black, black against the ground

Great Southern Land, in the sleeping sun
you walk alone with the ghost of time
they burned you black, black against the ground
and they make it work with rocks and sand
I hear the sound of the stanger's voices
I see their hungry eyes, their hungry eyes
you walk alone, like a primitive man
you walk alone with the ghost of time
and they burned you black
yeah, they burned you black
Great Southern Land

OzTennis
Old Aug 30th 2004, 8:32 pm
Monkey

In article <[email protected]> ,
member11187@british_expats.com (debsy) wrote:

>
    > Anyone read this book - if so what did you think of it?
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

A bit tricky to get into but worth persevering with.

I can also thoroughly recommend Australia by Phillip Knightly -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...896646/sr=1-2/
ref=sr_1_10_2/202-8457045-3097418

Cheers,

--
Paul
http://www.labrose.com