British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Fat Poms (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/fat-poms-402843/)

Lord Pom Percy Oct 18th 2006 7:40 am

Fat Poms

Are fat people allowed to immigrate to OZ. Is there a limit to how fat someone could be for example would morbidly obese people with a BMI over 40 not pass the medical requirements?

iPom Oct 18th 2006 8:07 am

Re: Fat Poms

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Are fat people allowed to immigrate to OZ. Is there a limit to how fat someone could be for example would morbidly obese people with a BMI over 40 not pass the medical requirements?

I can't see why they'd want to keep over weight people out considering how many fat Australians are already here... ;)

samnsam Oct 18th 2006 8:20 am

I suppose it would depend on if the weight was affecting the persons health, otherwise no it wouldn't as it would be discriminating against over weight people. If the person was morbidly obese as you mentioned then I would presume that health would be affected. As for BMI this is not always true to weight issues as my friend who is very athletic, carries hardly any fat, came away from her doctors with a BMI reading of over 30, this was due to her small frame and heavy build due to extra muscle. So these tests are not always accurate. So which morbidly obese person do you know then? :)

Luma Oct 18th 2006 8:27 am

Do a search on the Immigration forum for BMI.

Wendy Oct 18th 2006 9:14 am

Originally Posted by iPom
I can't see why they'd want to keep over weight people out considering how many fat Australians are already here... ;)

Just heard on the news that Australia is the 2nd Fattest country in the world :scared:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/061018/19/10yox.html

fraser Oct 18th 2006 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Wendy
Just heard on the news that Australia is the 2nd Fattest country in the world :scared:

Only 16%, bloody hell there must be a high concentration of them round here :eek:

iPom Oct 18th 2006 9:16 am

Wow... that's very sad. :(

Wendy Oct 18th 2006 9:17 am

Originally Posted by fraser
Only 16%, bloody hell there must be a high concentration of them round here :eek:

The other half must be round this end :D

Australia_bound? Oct 18th 2006 9:33 am

Thought it'd be one of the requirements to be in as many many aussies are over weight :p

northernbird Oct 18th 2006 9:43 am

I don't think its a deal breaker. They look at your overall health as well I believe. It all about the long term drain on the health system. You are more likely to encounter many health issues when obese, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and some cancers.

As someone who really struggles with their weight I would advise anyone to try and shift a bit before the medicals and subsequent arrival here.

DianneH68 Oct 18th 2006 9:54 am

On a related theme, I reckon a person's weight should be taken into consideration when it comes to baggage allowance on flights :D

fnord Oct 18th 2006 9:58 am

I thought a lot the Gulf States and pacific island countries were more obese? For example, I think almost 80% of the population of Nauru classified as obese.

Not sure I believe that news item.

Wendy Oct 18th 2006 10:02 am

Originally Posted by fnord
I thought a lot the Gulf States and pacific island countries were more obese? For example, I think almost 80% of the population of Nauru classified as obese.

Not sure I believe that news item.

Dunno mate TBH.

Too busy looking after my weight to worry about it really. ;)

fnord Oct 18th 2006 10:17 am

Dunno mate TBH.

Too busy looking after my weight to worry about it really. ;)

LOL :D

amanda34 Oct 18th 2006 10:35 am

Originally Posted by northernbird
I don't think its a deal breaker. They look at your overall health as well I believe. It all about the long term drain on the health system. You are more likely to encounter many health issues when obese, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and some cancers.

As someone who really struggles with their weight I would advise anyone to try and shift a bit before the medicals and subsequent arrival here.

I have mentioned this before, overweight according to the charts is pretty odd anyway. I have a friend who is 12 stone but is a size 10...she is considered obese bizarrely but she is someone who trains a lot in the gym, doesnt have a centimetre you can pinch etc.

I store weight like I dont know what........like it worries that I wont ever feed it again........but am I unhealthy, most definitely not....am I fit...yup indeed, if I went to a gym I would be able to keep up with anyone in a spinning class or the like and can go like a trooper......so cant be unhealthy.