Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fast citizenship ??

Wikiposts

Fast citizenship ??

Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

lock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the rough
Default Fast citizenship ??

I have been in Aus for over the two years, that's not a problem, my query is : How long does the citizenship application process take ? and how frequently do they hold the presentations ??

I have just been interviewed for a govenment job, and will need to be a citizen before they can confirm the post - so is there any way to fast track - or put a rush on the process ??? The govt dept cannot assist in this.

Paul
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fast citizenship ??

Originally Posted by lock collector
I have been in Aus for over the two years, that's not a problem, my query is : How long does the citizenship application process take ? and how frequently do they hold the presentations ??

I have just been interviewed for a govenment job, and will need to be a citizen before they can confirm the post - so is there any way to fast track - or put a rush on the process ??? The govt dept cannot assist in this.

Paul
Do you have to actually be a citizen or have applied for citizenship? as many government posts are available as long as you have applied. Could they offer the job once you have applied on the understanding that you must have been granted the citizenship by the end of the probationary period?
Good luck.
Nicky
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

lock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by NickyP
Do you have to actually be a citizen or have applied for citizenship? as many government posts are available as long as you have applied. Could they offer the job once you have applied on the understanding that you must have been granted the citizenship by the end of the probationary period?
Good luck.
Nicky
I have to be a citizen before they can confirm the appointment, that is they can let me know - yes the jobs yours but they can't actually sign the paperwork until I become a citizen .

Paul
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I have to be a citizen before they can confirm the appointment, that is they can let me know - yes the jobs yours but they can't actually sign the paperwork until I become a citizen .

Paul
I would just fill in the forms then ASAP but not lose any sleep over rushing it through as they obviously are willing to wait.
Hope that it works out for you.
Nicky
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:46 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Paul
To give you an idea of my circumstances. Filled in paperwork AND AT THE SAME TIME BOOKED APPOINTMENTfor Sept 11. This speeded up the waiting for them to get back to you with an appointment. Got a letter saying that I had been accepted (dated 30.09.05) but not legal until after citizenship ceremony.

...still waiting. Can't tell me a date as there is an election and until we have a Mayor they can't tell me if it will be Dec/ Jan/ Feb.

I would book appointment now and download forms off internet and hope that the letter saying you are accepted (if you are!) will tie them over until the ceremony.

Good Luck,

Louise
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Paul
They are held all over the country on 26 January. And at other times as well dependingf onthe number of applicants. Quaintly the ceremonies are organised at logal government level although it is a Federal function.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/faq.htm
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ljj
To give you an idea of my circumstances. Filled in paperwork AND AT THE SAME TIME BOOKED APPOINTMENTfor Sept 11. This speeded up the waiting for them to get back to you with an appointment. Got a letter saying that I had been accepted (dated 30.09.05) but not legal until after citizenship ceremony.

...still waiting. Can't tell me a date as there is an election and until we have a Mayor they can't tell me if it will be Dec/ Jan/ Feb.

I would book appointment now and download forms off internet and hope that the letter saying you are accepted (if you are!) will tie them over until the ceremony.

Good Luck,

Louise
I would hope that the letter of acceptance would do the job, although if it does attending the ceremony will be interesting as I will be in a different state ......

Incidentally does anyone know that they check ?? given the fast (for DIMIA) processing I would imagine it's just a residence check and that you've not been bad since arriving ........

Thanks for your feedback

Paul
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:05 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

I would hope that the letter of acceptance would do the job, although if it does attending the ceremony will be interesting as I will be in a different state ......

Incidentally does anyone know that they check ?? given the fast (for DIMIA) processing I would imagine it's just a residence check and that you've not been bad since arriving ........

Thanks for your feedback

Paul
Yep, it's luck. A friend of mine got her and the kids letter back saying they had been accepted straight away and her husband still hadn't had it after a further 2 weeks. They phoned, panicking and the guy on the phone said "we are not supposed to say this but it is random. We just choose an application and look at it more thoroughly and follow through the checks".

Why have you been a bad boy?
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Thanks for your feedback

Paul
Very little from what I can see, but if Enfglish isn't your first language they seem to like to see if you can muddle along. Interview.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ljj

Why have you been a bad boy?
depends you you ask, in my wifes opinion yes - every time I spend half the night tinkering in the garage , but not legally .

Paul
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:11 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Banksia
They are held all over the country on 26 January. And at other times as well dependingf onthe number of applicants. Quaintly the ceremonies are organised at logal government level although it is a Federal function.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/faq.htm
Yes they are held on the 26 Jan but I have been told the only way I can get in then is if they hold one in Dec also. There are only 50 places (well in my council anyway) I was told I am currently 70th and we were accepted back in Sept.

I think you would be very lucky to not even have applied and have your ceromony that quicky. But you never know if it is a government job you are going for can they "talk to the right people?"

Louise
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:13 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

depends you you ask, in my wifes opinion yes - every time I spend half the night tinkering in the garage , but not legally .

Paul
sent you karma for luck with job and citizenship.
Louise
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

I applied on line this week and have an interview on dec16th, going by friends who are in the process too it takes around 8 weeks from interview to ceremony, but thats in my council area, not sure about any others!

Lynn
Old Dec 1st 2005, 11:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj

If you need citizenship more quickly (and have a reason like employment), then see if you can get a DIMIA ceremony. They do organise these as well.

Your council ought to be organising ceremonies frequently - DIMIA do not like to see people waiting more than 3 months. That's another reason to ask for a Department ceremony.

Call 131880 but be prepared to be assertive if the person you speak to doesn't know about Department ceremonies or the 3 month rule.

If you go get a Department ceremony, you normally won't be able to bring family/friends, however and it will generally be during working hours.

Jeremy
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 9:55 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

there's 500+ going to my ceremony on aussie day!!

Originally Posted by ljj
Yes they are held on the 26 Jan but I have been told the only way I can get in then is if they hold one in Dec also. There are only 50 places (well in my council anyway) I was told I am currently 70th and we were accepted back in Sept.

I think you would be very lucky to not even have applied and have your ceromony that quicky. But you never know if it is a government job you are going for can they "talk to the right people?"

Louise